BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England 3 - 0 Switzerland

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right result but 3 - 0 flattered us. Not sure the first yellow card for Haas was entirely justified, and the Swiss only caved once they were down to ten men. Our ball retention was poor, especially in the first half, and too often we looked like we were running out of ideas in midfield. That said, once we were up against ten men (and especially after Vassell came on, big credit to him for the second goal), we never looked like losing. As long as we can get past a very pedestrian looking Croatia we will have to raise our game significantly to progress further in the competition, regardless of who we face in the quater-finals.

Went to post this on a new thread but was beaten to it. Heres what i was going to post.

A very good result but certainly one that flattered us. Quite a ddisappointingdisplay, especially from the midfield. The first 20 minutes were like that of a side not accustomed to playing in top international tournaments and we let a mmediocreswiss team run the game, conceding too many free kicks in dangerous positions, although we did seem to rectify this in the second half.

What was striking in the first half was our exposure on the left side. Cole was clearly an attacking threat, but his runs up the wing constantly let us exposed. In my opinion Scholes offered little going foward and as an attacking player offered no protection to Cole. If this was Gerrards role then he certainly wwasn'tdoing it. This really has to be rectified if we are to face Greece or Spain who both have pace on their wings. The options? Bringing Bridge in for Cole and playing Dyer down the left for pace and attack would be effective but Coles performances ddefinitelywarrant an inclusion. Perhaps Hargreaves or Neville for Scholes?

Lampard really showed little but Beckham and Gerrard looked very impressive, in particular in our 15 minute period of exquisite football midway through the first half. Excellent run by Gerrard and supreme ball by Beckham followed by good link up between Owen and Rooney.

The second half really was a ddisappointment boring even. We are going to get punished playing this defensively. 1-0 up and Sven makes defensive changes - has he not learned from the France game or Germany vs Holland? Even after the sending off we looked uninspired, no voice, no star performances, just when we needed them. Only when we took Scholes off did we have some pace and exhuberance and we got lucky with a second goal from a long ball. Not taking anything away from Rooney and Vassell mind you who were excellent in the build up.

Finally in the last ten minutes did we look to expose the 10 men of Switzerland, thanks largely to Hargreaves, Dyer and Vassell - all subs. The third goal was a great overlap between Neville and Beckham which resulted in Gerrard getting the goal.

Overall a very pleasing result and despite my negative view on the game there is something there that can make us progress. If we can repeat our great spell in the first half we have every chance in this tournament, but sadly that looks unlikely.

My player ratings...

James - still looks a liability at times, made one nnotablemistake in the first half - 6

Neville - played well with Beckham, offered the overlap and didn't let the Swiss get through on goal much in the game. Excellent overlap for the second goal - 6

Campbell - rarely tested, but solid and reliable - 6

Terry - again, rarely tested but reliable all the same after conceding some dangerous free kicks early on - 6

Cole - offered an attacking edge but constantly left the defense exposed - 6

Beckham - played well throughout and played some excellent balls, especially in the build up for the first goal - 8

Lampard - almost invisible, offered little and created little - 5

Gerrard - some promising runs and some good passing. Great run for the first goal but nothing amazing. - 6

Scholes - a few nice passes and spread the play well but after the first half especially offered little going forward and nothing defensively - 5

Rooney - a good gamer all round and an excellent strike for the second goal. Chased everything - 8

Owen - chased well and worked well in the first goal but again nothing exceptional - 6

Hargreaves - offered some pace, but seemed to like the long ball a little too much - 6

Dyer - offered some pace but only played 10 minutes - 6

Vassell - excellent work rate and pesky to the Swiss defense. Great work for the second goal - 7

The win is what we needed. We were nothing special and either were the opponents up against us.

The passing was poor for the majority of the game, but we got the three points and that’s all that counts.

Rooney was the star again. His confidence is brilliant for someone of his age and at the stage of his career. The build up to the first goal was brilliant. Pin point cross field pass to Owen, great chipped cross for Rooney to head home.

Croatia I feel will be a much tougher test and will cause us generally more problems than Switzerland did.

Poor game, the win was needed and we got it.

England 3-0 Switzerland

I think that we did play well today but we will have to raise our game on monday to make sure that we do qualify, we may only need a draw but we only needed a draw in Euro 200 and look what happened then.

I would really like to see Owen dropped for that game as he ahs done nothing in the last two games yes he has set up Rooney and that is it.

dry.gif

This game was always going to be difficult for the following

a draining last minute defeat against le frogs

the heat

a not too glamourous opposition

I cant argue with the result or performance, it was a must win game, they did the business and now its all to play for agaisnt the Croats and from what I am watching they dont really look much better than the swiss.

Monday night is going to be a great occasion I am sure. My wishes for that evening are as follows :

The cooler at the pub dont break down

Phil Neville does not get onto the pitch

Heskey remains on the bench

Micheal Owen realises that he has to get 90 minutes or face the bench in the quarter finals

Rooney does not get over excited and gets a yellow card

Sven realises that to mess around with the formation may just lead to England conceding stupid goals

Beckham plays a blinder, finds the net with a free kick/penalty and that by then we know we have to face the Greeks.

Keep smiling biggrin.gifbiggrin.giftinykit.gifbiggrin.gif

Well we aren't going to win the tournament if Sven continues with Scholes on the left. He wasn't terrible but the lack of width is so restrictive.

Bring on Wayne Bridge on the left wing and we will be challenging.

So the French definitely won't win either?

Great result, we did what we needed to do and once the pressure was off we showed that we can play good, attacking football. I would like to see Vassell start with Rooney but I'm not sure Sven will drop Owen as there's a chance he could recapture his form at any moment.

le c

u watching the frogs on tv at the mo ?

nothing short of a basic side and certainly not playing any better or more fluently than against England.

They dont worry me if England can navigate the quarter finals.

There has not been one team that England shold be concerned about.

the italians will miss totti big style

the germans have no flow about them and the defence is dodgy

the dutch hate each other

the spaniards have not enough quality if England are on top form

the czech republic may struggle

greece can be a handful but are more than beatble

portugal will be lucky to be in the tournament

now then have I missed anyone ?

rolleyes.gif

le c

u watching the frogs on tv at the mo ?

Hey, I've posted a few times that I think we'll win it!

I was just trying to make the point that France have Zidane on the left and no-one criticises them.

France make me laugh - arguably the best team in the world?!! Don't make me laugh laugh.gif C'mon you Swiss thumbs-up.gif

rolleyes.gif

There is one team England MUST be concerned about, Croatia. The form of the other teams you so confidently sum up means nothing if we get scuttled by Croatia. Something which would not surprise me in the least.

Is Rooney suspended for the Croatia game? Should Owen be dropped? thoughts please.

Edited by USABlue

rolleyes.gif

As someone mentioned, you missed Sweden.

But just as England may have nothing to fear vs these teams, they don't have much to fear from England either. After all you've lost to France, and until the Swiss had a man sent off they were more than a match for you.

I just wanted to say, having had lots and lots to drink tonight with the lads, that I love England, I like each and every one of you on the M/B - especially my good friend blue phil.

England are going to qualify for the quarter-finals. Who knows what might happen then? It's just unfortunate that we've got such a knob as our England captain.

An easy win in the end against ###### poor opponents.

Yes, you are right SG, that the Swiss were complete crap in defence, stretched all over the place. I could have played better myself after 8 pints.

Good night everyone... thumbs-up.gif

I just wanted to say, having had lots and lots to drink tonight with the lads, that I love England, I like each and every one of you on the M/B - especially my good friend blue phil.

Well, cn174 will certainly be relieved that you have switched your attentions to Blue Phil. Go on - give him a 'big hug'. Another good point about your switching to BP is that there is a rumour that he is "easy". Admittedly it's not a very old rumour (I'm actually beginning it with this post) but no smoke without fire and all that eh?

Sweden looked good against Bulgaria but I still like the look of Czech Republic. They didn't play too well but still won and teams like that always must be feared (read France as well).

As for Spain- they look good but from now it starts to get tough for them. Portugal and (possibly) France in the next two games. If they get through those intact this may just be their long-awaited moment after all...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

rolleyes.gif

Spain are one of the best teams in the tournament, how can you say they don't have enough quality. Even though they haven't delivered in past tournaments doesn't take away the amount of class they have in their team - Raul, Morientes, Casillas, Puyol, Raul Bravo. Thats 6players that would walk into the England team any day of the week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.