BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England 3 - 0 Switzerland

Can someone explain to me why Ledley King was dropped for todays game.  If there was more the lad could have done to keep the shirt then I don't know what it was.  You just don't need youngsters being dropped just for a big name. 

I am a John terry fan and was very worried when he came up lame but on merit King should have kept his spot, this will only serve to frustrate the youngsters, they need to be shown that effort will be rewarded. 

They don't need the message sent to them that no matter how well they perform they will be dropped as soon as big name Charlie is fit, it's demoralising.

Hmmmm I don't agree with this, Eriksson has always given youngsters a chance in the squad, that is hardly an aqusation you can throw at him.

King did well, but in a tournament situation I wouldn't like to think we'd pick someone based on one game. Terry has been better than King for the majority of the season and I'm glad Eriksson is picking the team based on the bigger picture.

The fact that King got his chance in the first place despite being average in a poor team should be encouragement enough.

Did not mention Erikson, at all. Just saying based on performance King deserved to keep his spot. I doubt it would have done Terry any harm to get more rest/healing under his belt in case we progress, his experience would be better served in the latter stages against better opposition should we get through. If Terry is lacking for pace then I have a real concern about him playing against Croatia and their counter attack.

If you read my post you will see I hold Terry in high regard and voiced my concern when I heard he would be out for the first match. Yes Terry had a brilliant season but I thought King did enough in the game to get another start. Just my thoughts, not trying to criticise anyone, management or anyone else.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the spaniards have not enough quality if England are on top form

....the mind boggles. blink.gif

It certainly does. The delusion is quite simply jaw-dropping.

The Spanish's only real weakness is their massive inferiority complex. The actual personnel are far better as a whole than anything that the hugely dull England can offer: Casillas, Helguera, Marchena, Puyol, Baraja, Joaquin, Vicente, Morientes, Valeron, Etxeberria, Albelda, Torres, Raul! Reyes can't even get in the team. Please try and disregard away all the hype that BBC/ITV are feeding you, this is not a tournament ripe for England's picking.

As for your list of 'deficiencies' relating to the other teams; are you sure? huh.gif

Typical sour Irishman dry.gif

No, just realistic.

I'm with Roversmatt on this one. I've a feeling Spain will do it. Bags of talent, theoretically the best team in the tournament if they all play together.

As for England's performance, thought we were pretty poor till we got the goal - but they say the sign of a good team is one that get's something even when playing badly. After the goal it was fairly comfortable and England did well, even though they were slightly fortunate that the Swiss chap got sent off.

My only worries are Rooney and Scholes. There's a distinct possibility that Rooney's going to get sent off/suspended for a big game which would be terrible considering he's been our biggest threat so far this tournament. As for Scholes he's a good player and hasn't done badly but he's no left midfielder and it shows. A good team is going to punish this weakness sometime.

so there we are girls and boys

it just shows we all have differing views of our "opponents" in this championship tournament.

I wholeheartedly agree that man for man Spain have some real class acts, the same for Italy, Holland and Portugal.

The thing that spurs my positive thoughts for England is that we have more supporters out there than anyone else, we have a squad of players that can mould to any style of play be it pretty or damn awful, we have the capability to beat anyone in the world yet retain the type of team that can struggle against the poorer relations.

Can anyone imagine that the dutch or germans would fancy playing England ? I dont think so that even stretches as far as the spaniards.

the type of football we play - on a good day - out footballs most teams and we have the armour up front in ROONEY that scares the living sh**e out of defenders something that vnd, raul and co do not do !

so there we have it differing views et al !!

still think england will win it tinykit.gif

Something tells me that if it came down to having to play either France or England, all the countries listed would be praying for England. For the semi, if it came down to England or Spain, again, they'd be hoping for England.

Thanks Vieri. Effing thanks for thinking the goal is 10 feet taller than it actually is. Either that or he was wearing lead boots today. Sweden we're outplayed at times but what can you do with a goal like Zlatans?  huh.gif

Not a lot. ohmy.gif

I can't remember enjoying a goal scored in a neutral (to me, anyway) match so much - I thought it was great (probably added to by the fact it should take my Euro2004 team to the top of the office league!).

It was pretty lucky (lobbing the keeper and defender on the line from a couple of yards out whilst being in mid-air with your back to goal blink.gif ), but the intention was there so you've got to give him full credit for it.

I wonder what goal the kids in the playground will be trying to emulate for the next few week's laugh.gif

well the italians certainly looked world beaters didnt they ?

10 men behind the ball and still they cant defend properly ! smile.gif

Typical negativity from the Italians. Winning one-nil, they bloody go and decide to shut up shop, rather than springing the counter-attack at every opportunity.

Why am I peed off? I had Italy to win in the UEFA.com Predictors' League and lying in 550, I could see that prize winging towards me already. But no, that Zlatan and Trapattoni's negativity confound things. mad.gif

Thanks Vieri. Effing thanks for thinking the goal is 10 feet taller than it actually is. Either that or he was wearing lead boots today. Sweden we're outplayed at times but what can you do with a goal like Zlatans? huh.gif

The irony was it was Vieri that was on the line when Son of God did his ninja kick assault on the ball.

I doubt there are many teams worying England either. They defended very well against France, but apart from Rooney's brilliant run which lead to the penalty, didn't have an attacking threat. Yesterday, England were playing like they usually do, pretty averagely. Rooney's goal went against the run of play, ball retention and creativity was terrible and Switzerland were more than a match for England. Steven Gerards goal was very well crafted and was probably the best bit of football England have played. Switzerland playing with 10 men finally took its toll. But then again, it is the result that counts. The Croatians showed that they can play and will need to win, so England aren't through yet.

France haven't really shown what they are made of, but known of the top class teams have really done it yet. They are still one of the top teams in the competition and will be there or there abouts when the final comes. Their only real weakness is Desailly, but if they play Silvestre or Gallas in the midfdle, then the problem is solved. Italy will miss Totti, but when you have players like Fiore, Cassano or Del Piero to play in that position, then it shows us all the depth in class that they have. Added to that, their brilliant defence and goalkeeper. Germany showed that they aren't passed it yet and always raise their game for the big occasion and with players like Nowotney, Worns and Hamann, they are going to be extremely hard to break down. The Dutch do hate eachother, but there will be a point when they click and when they have the likes of Van Der Vaart, Sneijder, Van Der Meyde, Van Nistelrooy, Davids and Seedorf, the results would be devastating.

Spain not having enough quality if England are on top? Apart from Raul Bravo, their defence and goalkeeper are world class. Their midfield has everything, passing ability, defences qualities, tones of creativity, wingers who really go past players and a real goal threat. Up front they have some of the best strikers in the world, although Raul is having a shocker like Owen. Not enough quality? laugh.gif Czech Republic going forward are one of the best teams about and with the likes of Nedved, Rosicky and Poborsky they can destroy anyone. It is in defence that they are shakey. The Greeks are indeed a handful and have shown that they are no pushovers, but like you say, are beatable. Portugal will be lucky if they are in the tournament, but with the players they have and having home advantage, they have to be a threat to any country. Sweden are my dark horses. A solid defence, a good midfield and in Larsson and Ibrahimovic they have one of the best striking partnerships in the tournament. The Danes are also quite useful. With Jon Dahl Tomasson and Ebbe Sand they have a good strike force, in Gronkaer, Rommedahl and Jorgensen they have top class wingers. Their defence is also very good, as they showed against the Italians.

Would you like a fence to sit on ?

Apart from England playing averagely and Switzerland being more than a match for England, you go on to sing the praises of no fewer than 9 other teams.

France will be "there abouts" when the final comes, Italy have amazing depth in class and a brilliant defence, Germany hard to break down, Holland due some devastating results, Spain have some of the best players in the world, Czechs can destroy anyone, Greeks are a handful, Portugal a threat to anyone, and Sweden are your dark horses.

So you don't reckon Latvia are in with a chance then ? Bulgaria already being out and all ?

Yeah, the 9 other teams that England could apparently roll over on the way to European success. Can you actually argue with the comments I've made? For all this hype about England, we haven't really seen anything of them which would say that they are potential champions. Yes, they defended very well against France, restricting them to a few efforts on goal. But England were very negative, with Rooney's run being the only highlight of England's game. And moreover, they lost. They were poor against 10 man Switzerland and there are plenty of English supporters saying that.

For the teams I mentioned, I also said that none of them have produced a performance they are capabe of. Apparently, the same thing could be said for England.

Edited by RoyRover

Fear not. England will win Euro 2004.

It is pre-ordained, like the rugby World Cup.

You could have knocked me down with a feather. Positive Jim. Not only are there little England flags on your Datsun Sunny but now you expect to win the thing.

Is there any chance of this positivity being extended to Rovers for the upcoming season?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Fear not. England will win Euro 2004.

It is pre-ordained, like the rugby World Cup.

You could have knocked me down with a feather. Positive Jim. Not only are there little England flags on your Datsun Sunny but now you expect to win the thing.

Is there any chance of this positivity being extended to Rovers for the upcoming season?

No. In fact, the prospect of another nine months of agony scrambling for points and sick with worry over relegation fills me with dread.

I'm just enjoying the cricket season at present. I wish it could go until Christmas.

No. In fact, the prospect of another nine months of agony scrambling for points and sick with worry over relegation fills me with dread.

Shouldn't / Couldn't this be in the "Who's Looking Forward To The New Season?" thread Jim? Please make a comment in there Jim, please, please. biggrin.gif

jim

having been to Old trafford recently I cant see any hope for Lancashire at the moment as they seem to have found a seriously sticky wicket !! blink.gif

I cannot believe some of Hegg's decisions as captain recently. It's bad enough with Rovers, I don't think I can take a relegation battle in the cricket season as well.

Never mind Souness, sack Cumbes, Watkinson and Hegg. What say you?

I'm just watching the Latvia vs Germany game, got to say Latvia are going at the Germans , there defending well too.

If Germany get a point or even sneak the win they will have to thank ref Mike Riley who has denied Latvia a definate penalty and a free kick just outside the German penalty area, If Riley is the best we have to send to this tormenent then god help us next season.

The Latvia v Germany match was very entertaining. Thought Mike Riley was poor though. Latvia probably deserved more than a draw from the game. Can't wait to hear what the German press have to say after they called the players "cucumbers" after their defeat in a friendly to Romania recently!

It was nice to see some England, France and Sweden fans all supporting Latvia! laugh.gif

P.S. Watkinson out!!!

There has not been one team that England shold be concerned about.

the dutch hate each other

the czech republic may struggle

After tonights game, I think that even teams like Italy and France will worry about playing these teams. The Dutch for once played like a team and with the players they have it is inevitable that they will play well. The Czech's are a different class to anything that has been seen in the tournament and would beat even the best nations like France and Spain on that performance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.