BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

if we do end up signing andy cole, again....he will get a massive reception from the fans at ewood for the first home game. further to that possibility if he does sign, it makes the departure of steady even more puzzling considering what a good partnership they had when playing together.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it on good authority that Rovers are negotiating to bring in the player who was sixth equal highest goal scorer in the Premiership last season on a FREE transfer!

328280[/snapback]

Probably is Cole (and a free transfer is obviously better than the £750k that was originally mentioned), but according to THIS LIST (first one that came up on a search for 'Premiership goalscorers 2004/05') then there are three players who are equal 6th.

Tim Cahill, as has been mentioned, is unlikely, as is Wayne Rooney but Robbie Earnshaw could be a possiblity.He does seem to be out of favour at WBA (although I don't think they would let him go on a freebie after paying Cardiff £Ms so recently....but you never know).

Hughes could see him as the Bellamy type player in a partnership, with Kuqi adopting the Hartson role?

Edited by Krillin

very good point there, p32.

having their national captain and a player that is idolised over there especially in the black community, who just happen to be crackers about football and the premier league.

these two lads could market our club over there without even trying (to market us).

As John Williams said in the LET last night that there was no such thing as a 'free' transfer I would hazard a guess that if the Cole deal goes through our hopes of landing McCarthy would diminish significantly.

The well might not be dry but it'll be getting a little parched.

Sometimes conversations are well worth preserving. It's not every day you're romantically linked to every messageboard member going. Until you mentioned it I really didn't believe SteB or Tris would've given me a second look  biggrin.gif

Edit: Sorry Paul  unsure.gif  thumbs-up.gif

328297[/snapback]

Ste wud tongue.gif

As John Williams said in the LET last night that there was no such thing as a 'free' transfer I would hazard a guess that if the Cole deal goes through our hopes of landing McCarthy would diminish significantly.

The well might not be dry but it'll be getting a little parched.

328312[/snapback]

There are ways of refilling a well. IF we land McCarthy and Cole, we will have four front line strikers plus Jansen working his way back but under no pressure from the club. The much touted rumours of Gally and Johnson being loaned out to Chapionship sides would seem to make a lot of sense in those circumstances which would relieve some of the pressure on the wage bill.

Certainly our front line potency would be transformed if Hughes were able to chose from McCarthy, Cole, Dickov and Kuqi.

I guess the destination of the £4m or thereabouts hinges not only on wearing down Porto's obduracy (Benni taking an extended holiday will surely be roasting the aromatic coffee beans even in the Duero Port warehouses) but on Sparky's assessment of our talented but resolutely unhinged midfielders. Perhaps he has seen enough potential in Emo, Tommo and Reid to soldier on. Perhaps he'd sell the lot and start again given half a chance- almost certainly there is a realistic target Rovers' midfield combination in Hughes' consciousness which includes some players not at Rovers and excludes some that are.

Don’t want to go too much off topic, but we know that Hughes is happy with the wide men we have at the club. So looking at the midfield, it would be a more attacking player centrally, if anyone, to come in that department.

Savage is a guaranteed starter, so it would be someone to play alongside him.

Midfielder would only be brought in after a striker…….

Don’t want to go too much off topic, but we know that Hughes is happy with the wide men we have at the club. .

328317[/snapback]

And this has been confirmed where?

With the dropping and changing that was to be seen at the end of last season.. this would seem to put doubts in that comment.

Cole is a good move but we must get a younger striker aswell because I think Cole has only one good season left

328331[/snapback]

I think Hughes will cross that bridge when he comes to it. The plan seems to be get Cole and McCarthy. He will consider youth buys next season depending on how things turn out, it is hard to say whether Jansen or any of the young strikers will bloom over the next twelve months.

Signing a fourth striker would be a waste, the next target would surely be a central midfielder. Sparky has said as much.

ps. If Benni is unable to join I would guess that MH might settle for Cole and Kuqi and look for an attacking central midfielder for circa 3 million. This would probably force us to play 451 but hopefully with a bit of skill on board (Dunn anyone?) it might be quite entertaining.

This is not ideal but hardly terrifying for next season....

Cole

Mgp         Dunn      Reid/Emerton

Savage    Moko

Gresko    Nelsen   Todd  Niell

Freidal

pps. Just read a couple of pages back and have now found out Dunn is injured until October, ho hum. Substitute any likely looking name for that player.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I think Hughes will cross that bridge when he comes to it. The plan seems to be get Cole and McCarthy. He will consider youth buys next season depending on how things turn out, it is hard to say whether Jansen or any of the young strikers will bloom over the next twelve months.

Signing a fourth striker would be a waste, the next target would surely be a central midfielder. Sparky has said as much.

ps. If Benni is unable to join I would guess that MH might settle for Cole and Kuqi and look for an attacking central midfielder for circa 3 million. This would probably force us to play 451 but hopefully with a bit of skill on board (Dunn anyone?) it might be quite entertaining.

This is not ideal but hardly terrifying for next season....

pps. Just read a couple of pages back and have now found out Dunn is injured until October, ho hum. Substitute any likely looking name for that player.

328339[/snapback]

Dunn has got to prove his fitness before we even think about him

I don't know what's more frightening, my reading the last 40 pages of this thread or Bryan getting this spot on. Exactly 12 premier league goals last year for A.C.

328271[/snapback]

If he got a massive 12 last season , then how many this season if he signs ? 7 or 8 ; 10 if we're very lucky ? And people are getting excited ! I can't imagine anything more depressing than to see the Great Sulker walk out for the opening game .

Wave bye bye to a decent final position if he's one of our two best strikers . And if he isn't then what's the point in bringing him here - he's hardly going to be a hard working squad player .

imo When he gets his signings Hughes will play games with a different formation employing different tactics for different opposition which would mean that forwards would be interchanged regularly............. and we all know what girly strops Cole throws when his is subbed!

Just me, but I'd take 12 goals over 2.... tinykit.gif

328383[/snapback]

There's absolutely no guarantee he'll do that again, he's at the stage now where age will catch up with him very quickly, if it hasn't already. Stead will score more than 2 next season as well.

If he's going to be brought in as second choice then it's a good move, however if he's instead of McCarthy/Bellamy etc then it's a terrible move.

If he's going to be brought in as second choice then it's a good move, however if he's instead of McCarthy/Bellamy etc then it's a terrible move.

328386[/snapback]

In total agreement with you there.

I just can't see Cole being the only other striker we get...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.