BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Neild( Let) V Alan Nixon(indep,people)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to Neild in the pub a few times and he and Souness have quite a good relationship. They have many 'off the record' discussions.

If you remember the story about a month back when Souness came out on the back of the Telegraph to moan about lack of funds, the club tried to ban Neild from club events until they found out that Souness had purposefully gone to Neild to undermine the board.

Who do you prefer, LDRover? tongue.gif

Maybe a fairly harsh question ?!

Nixon's a hit or miss tabloid idiot working off scraps whose career needs 1 in 20 "exclusives" to contain half a grain of reality.

Andy Neild's career depends upon finding the balance between remaining the reporter who Rovers players and staff and management can trust ... and still be able to judge when to blow something big or use a titbit which will beat the daily red tops but not upset anyone locally.

Taking SG194s point ... Peter White's match reports were great - no problems there - and trying to replace him was always going to be like trying to replace Shearer.

Read some of the crap you get in other regionals and Andy Neild comes out of it pretty well - I think he's won a couple of awards along the way as well.

rover.gif i met peter white many times,going to rovers away games and cricket matches,and he always said he could never write what he actually knew about the rovers.

i dare say the same thing goes on with neild,just ask rev-upset the power's to be at ewood and they will make it pretty damm uncomfortable for him.

as for national jounalist's,they will have contact's and very good one's inside club,s-just look how the high and mighty on here ridiculed nixon on here last week,i remenber when jack took over every rover's signing was named in the notw the sunday before we actually signed them,uncanny tinykit.gif

Times have changed in sports reporting, especially football. With the expansion of internet sites, numerous magazines etc there is a greater need to fill spaces and thus the clammour for gossip and rumour.

There doesnt even have to be a sourse, a writter gets an idea and fabricates a tale, eg player X isnt in the team, story player X falls out with manager. It fill space in the paper, internet site A expands on story and within 24 hours its gospel included in every tabloid and internet site.

It used to be that the only sourse for press releases at a club was the manager, there were no cheif executives and no one new who the chairman was. A player who spoke to the press without first having permission from the club was fined. Now every Tom,Dick and Harry at a club talks to the media, not to metion the players' agents who have a field day leaking hints, in order to line his own pockets with transfer deals or pay rises for his client.

At one stage Newspaper journalists had a secure sourse at a club, who would feed them information, which could be used as an exclusive which could be used only at a given time, and generally this was respected by the media. Now due to the cut throat nature of the business and the demand from the public for information, its everyman for himself.

The only facts that can be believed these days are those in official club statements, but even those can be desected by the media with selected quotes in order to sensationalise a story.

Back to the title of the post, then personaly I'd have to go with Andy Neild, he is a local reporter who cant in theory ailienate the club, whilst Alan Nixon can easily move on to patures new, to search for a scoop that will fill the back page of some tabloid.

Just to back up my earlier post, about filling spaces and making money out of us.

Have a look at ITV teletex. page 504. Headlines.

World Cup Superstar Ewood Bound

Biggest Deal in BRFC History.

Mega Deal for Stiker Supreme

Small print phone calls cost £1 per min, this could be a long call

No idea Abbey, I will wait for Andy Neild's report in the LET and donate the £1 per minute to the running of this site.

That's really generous !

The LET usually comes on line around half two ... that's 4 hours ... that's £240 quid !

Cheers Alan tongue.gif

Just to back up my earlier post, about filling spaces and making money out of us.

Have a look at ITV teletex. page 504. Headlines.

World Cup Superstar Ewood Bound

Biggest Deal in BRFC History.

Mega Deal for Stiker Supreme

Small print phone calls cost £1 per min, this could be a long call

No need to ring up - the clues are all there.

World Cup Superstar? - think World Cup opening ceremony 1994.

Striker Supreme?

We've signed Diana Ross!!

It can't be Diana Ross because she's black, and we all know Souness is a racist. rolleyes.gif

Not to mention sexist. While he's signed some black players how many women has he signed? None at all. There'll be some bras being burnt outside Ewood soon and it'll all be down to Souness' anti-female bias.

Best not get that Ross lass on penalties mind. Anyone else remember her woeful last effort in 94?

It can't be Diana Ross because she's black, and we all know Souness is a racist.  rolleyes.gif

Not to mention sexist. While he's signed some black players how many women has he signed? None at all. There'll be some bras being burnt outside Ewood soon and it'll all be down to Souness' anti-female bias.

Best not get that Ross lass on penalties mind. Anyone else remember her woeful last effort in 94?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read four lane.

Engage brain before typing next time, you know we don't get penalties.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.