BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers

Glenn

Well, this is one most of you should be able to help with.

I'm going to do it two sections, one for Opposition fans visiting Ewood and one for Rovers fans (because everyone has to have their first visit to Ewood at some point).

So, reviews of you match day watering holes, tips from getting from Mill Hill station, places to park that allow you to be on the motorway less than an hour after the final whistle etc.

Away Only Pub - The Fernhurst, Bolton Rd, 5 mins from the ground. Just follow the road from the away end.

Home Pubs (some of which welcome away fans for smaller games).

Blues - Blackburn End - Home Season Tickets Holders Only

The Fox & Hounds - 2 mins from ground, just off Livesey Branch road.

The Ewood Arms

The Navigation

The Aqueduct

The Manxman

The Brown Cow

The Ivy

The Infirmary

The Golden Cup

Uncle Jacks.

The Moorings

The Moorings is situated on Bolton Road about a ten to fifteen minute walk from Ewood Park and has its own car park with room for about 30 cars (or 25 cars and a badly parked police van on matchdays). It has undergone a transformation in recent months from an unpopular, badly decorated pub to one of the most highly acclaimed and successful Italian Restaurants on the car park and back again. The only clues to its former existence are the slight smell of garlic in the John Smiths and the strange accents of the doormen, Toni “Big Nose” Schnozelli and Jimmy “Kneecaps” Patello.

The Moorings is spacious with a large bar and a separate restaurant area overlooking the canal which serves food on matchdays. There is often post-match entertainment from a host of unknown local singers and musicians like Johnny Sax and his Sax – so it’s probably best to go elsewhere after the match (there’s usually a decent punch-up in The Infirmary pub across the road which may be preferable).

Pre-match entertainment includes the popular “Guess the Charity” – which of Blackburn’s well deserving charities will the roly-poly charity lady be supporting this week? Under-nourished donkeys appeal? Schizophrenics of Livesey Branch Road? Royal Society for Prevention of Paddy-field Injuries? If you guess right you have to put a pound in her collection tin. I’ve only won once. Damn that Save Our Souness fund!!

If that still hasn't put you off, you can normally find Scotty and me in there on matchdays reminiscing about the times they used to have TVs and that blonde barmaid ohmy.gifblink.gifrolleyes.gif .

Directions:

Leave the M65 at junction 4 – see the naked bloke on the sandstone block? Is his arse in the air or what?!

Take the last exit of the roundabout and turn right at the traffic lights into Bolton Road (A666).

Proceed past Ewood Park and get in the rightmost lane at the next set of traffic lights.

The road bends round to the right and becomes three lanes as livesey branch road joins (watch out for schizophrenics crossing here) – take the centre lane which becomes the right lane at the next set of lights.

Continue along Bolton road under the railway bridge and notice the Royal Infirmary on the right – you might need this if you choose against “Jonny Sax”.

The Moorings is on left about 100 yards beyond the next set of lights.

After the game

I find it easier to head for Preston Road and onto the M6 rather than dodge the schizophrenics again:

Turn right out of the Car Park and Left onto Bolton Road.

At the first set of traffic lights turn left into Freckleton St.

Follow the road round and turn right at the end and then first left at the traffic lights.

Bear Left at the next set of lights and turn left at the lights at the top of the hill onto Preston Road.

PARKING

Free at the Golden Cup provided you call in (free parking is almost unheard of in the Premier League). A dead cert for fastest return to the M65 (Jnc 4).

PUBS

The White Bull (Livesey Branch Road) should be added to the above list.

Five Darwen pubs run buses to every home game usually advertised in the window. Depart 1hr prior to kick off. Cost £2 return.

Borough

Bowling Green

George

Britannia

Craven Heifer

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

Cheers guys, exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, keep it coming.

By the way, you may have spotted that currently you have to be logged on to the MB to view this section, but once it gets more info in (especially the Blackburn entry) I'll open it to everyone (so info for away fans visiting Blackburn is welcomed too).

Approaching Blackburn from the Preston direction it can be easier to leave at Exit 3, down the slip road and take the second exit off the roundabout. At the lights bear right and after about one mile turn right at the mini-roundabout on the outskirts of Feniscowles. You can now follow Livesey Branch Road all the way to Ewood Park.

After passing the church with the witty posters on your left, go over two mini-roundabouts and watch for two signs on your left advertising Match Day Parking. Both car parks are good, secure and cheap at £3. Getting out is OK. Close by you will find the Brown Cow, a popular drinking establishment with Rovers fans.

Alternatively head further towards the ground and park on Albion Road car park for £4. This will later provide you with the pleasure of sitting in your car for 40 minutes listening to Radio Rovers as you attempt to join the nightmare jam around Ewood Park.

Edited by Paul

M65 from Preston may well be advised to come off the motorway at Junction 3 - follow the signs for Blackburn, second exit at the roundabout, turn right at the traffic lights and then right at the mini roundabout. Follow the same all the way to Ewood if you wish.

There is plenty of free parking in this area if you get to the ground relatively early (around 1.30pm) near the church there is a car park on th eleft han dside, or alternatively accross the road from the (now) disused petrol station there is plenty of side street parking. Also I find it much quicker getting home from up here, although Livesey branch hill can be a hell of a walk especially after a defeat.

• 6 months later...
PARKING

Free at the Golden Cup provided you call in (free parking is almost unheard of in the Premier League). A dead cert for fastest return to the M65 (Jnc 4).

PUBS

The White Bull (Livesey Branch Road) should be added to the above list.

At least 4 Darwen pubs run buses to every home game usually advertised in the window. Depart 1hr prior to kick off. Cost £2 return.

Borough

Bowling Green

George

Britannia

Craven Heiffer on Pole Lane also runs a bus to Ewood for every home match !!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know there are other threads of people visiting, but it might be handy to have all of the info here:

Any recommendations for hotels that are within walking distance of Ewood and the train station? Woodlands Hotel was one I was given, but they are full.

• 3 months later...
Can someone write up a bit about the best way to arrive via the air?

Inside a plane is normally a better bet than hanging onto the wings. ;)

Seriously, Manchester airport is by far the most convenient airport for the north of England as American, United, Continental & US Airways all fly into there.

When looking at fares, it can be a gamble on when to book. I've had some excellent transatlantic fares by booking as soon as they are available, and other times have had what I thought where reasonable fares only to see them plummet a few months later.

Generally I do some research on Expedia or Opodo first and see what their special fares come out and then check the individual airline websites as sometimes they can be a lot cheaper (and sometimes a lot more expensive).

The big adventure starts here...

My first visit to the mighty Rovers! As it stands now, for the New Year's Day match vs. Sunderland! I'll fly on December 31st from Amsterdam to Liverpool. But then...!

* What's the easiest way to get from Liverpool to Blackburn and what's the price?

* Any recomendations in terms of hotels? So that I can both see the city a little and walk to Ewood?

* What's the best stand to be in for the Dutch Rover Crew (1 person, yes! :rover: )?

As I'm posting, lewdness rises big time. Thanks in advance for the help!

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.