Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Out

Flopsy

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Before the start of tonight's match Mark Hughes said: "If we're going to view ourselves as a team that can cope with European football then we've got to overcome Larissa."

The shambles over two legs against Larissa have clearly shown that we can not cope with European football. We have been failures against a Greek outfit that has only won once in their league this season. The Rovers players certainly have to take their share of responsibility for the disgraceful debacle in Greece a fortnight ago, but I also think it is perfectly valid to question the coaching and tactics of our management.

I hope that Mark Hughes remains our manager for years to come. I happen to think he's the best manager we've had since Kenny Dalglish, but Hughes is not infallible, he does not get decisions right all of the time, and after last season's failure to get past the last 32 of the UEFA Cup, followed by the embarrassing shambles this season, I feel entitled to question the tactics of our management.

I don't believe that Hughes should be in a sacrosanct position where he is immune from criticism when it is due. The manager rightly gets the plaudits when things go well, so it's only fair that some of his decisions should be questioned when things go badly wrong.

Three posts in particular on the main Larissa thread sum up my views tonight....

To think Hughes was talking about breaking into the top four. How embarrassing that we're now losing to a bunch of Greek goat-herders.

The first leg was disgraceful ; the first half tonight was a nightmare and I was praying for Hughes to change the shape of the team long before the ref decided to make a game of it by giving us a penalty .

All in all yet another no show in a big match ; another let down for the fans when a decent amount of them turned up

We should have got some extra decent players in for nights like tonight.

TRULY EMBARRASSING TONIGHT.

oh shut up.

Its happened to the best of them and tonight it was our turn.

I would have taken losing to Trelleborgs and winning the prem any day.

For all six British teams to win in the champions league over the past two eveings was 250-1

The team to let the punters down were Liverpool who had the worst odds out of the lot.

Marseille were to 10-1 just to win last night.

Difference is though alan that they were only in a group game. I know even the great sides go out early in competitions sometimes, but to go out at this stage against that quality of a side is really horrible.

Can't agree - why not give the Greeks some credit. Does nobody remember the Greeks winning the European Championship - again with a team short of star players - but with a great work ethic and good organisation - somewhat like the team we played tonight.

Breaking the two legs down - if not for the flukey first goal away in Greece - I sincerely think we would have got the result we needed. That, followed by Emo's back-pass turned the game on its head - up to that point we had looked well in control - and looking to at least draw the match. Tonight we were the better team - and believe it or not actually won - with a bit of luck we would have actually won by more goals.

IMO MH got some things wrong tonight - but he (and the players) should be better for the experience.

AESF- breathtakingly naive.

Huge disappointment yes, financial disaster anything but, time to find answers to hard questions yes, good news for the rest of the domestic season probably.

Pushing on domestically will be the true test of whether we can keep and motivate our players (and Hughes quite possibly).

Last night was our third win on the bounce by the way - all with the system being slagged off.

A calm assessment of where we are:

- 7th with a game in hand which can now be played before Christmas

- played 7 with 4 of those games against teams placed above us in the table today not forgetting an away day at Chelsea who we are now ahead of.

- last season's leading scorer having a nightmare so far

- Sav, MGP, Tugay all off form and Bentley has put in a couple of very sub-standard performances as well

- Reid still to come back (he would have made a HUGE difference last night and was badly missed)

- half the goals conceded so far this season have come from uncharacteristic defensive howlers

Yet we are still 7th.

I think we are still entitled to be looking up the table and not down it. I'll take the Trelleborg comparisons if we finish in the same place in the League as we did when Trelleborg knocked us out! YES PLEASE.

Edited by philipl

I thin AESF raises valid points, and he does not say our season is a disaster.

Hughes and his team get a lot of credit and plaudits, and rightly so. There should also be room for pointing out improvments.

Yesterday showed the management weakest side which is persisting with the same team and formation that won last match and starting with the same playyers.

Firsly this was partly fault in Larissa where they played the same 11 as done all season, even though those players had played 2-3 games a week. By Hughes' own admission they should've refreshed things. The worst part was that same team started only 3 days later against P'mouth, still jaded and not performing.

This led to the change in midweek cup game vs Bham, which paid off with change of formation and personell. Not forgetting Bham had changed the entire 11 from their last league game. Using the formation vs Sundeland was a good idea, it made sense because we were playing away vs Sundeland and there would be spaces for Bentley, Dunn to be creative and Derbyshire to run into.

However, by also treating Larissa the same way when it was obvious that they would be defensive and compact before the game (Donis even said so), was plain wrong. 4-5-1 failed on all accounts, most of all on getting width to get crosses in. Derbyshire and Dunn moved into the centre and gave no option on the flanks. Bentley had as expected against a compact team, no space to play in. It took to half time for the management to change the formation.

Pedersen and McCarthy should have started to be a given a chance to show their reaction being left out last game, which was a good move by Hughes, but he forgot to milk it. Derbyshire does not function in that role, which he proved in Plymouth as well.

I see I come very negative now, but it's mostly because of last evening. I'm chuffed about the league form and our management, and we seem to be moving forward all the time. Could also be a good thing not to have the distraction of Europe. And did we really deserve to be there after last year league campaign?

It's not hughes' fault, it's the players. I couldn't contemplate Blackburn Rovers without Mark Hughes.

My mum said wouldn't it be good to get someone's autograph when I go to the Pompey game and her friend and my dad exspected me to say one of the players but mum suddenly realized and said who there's no doubt I would give almost anything to get his autograph.

Mark Hughes - GOD. :brfc:

I very much doubt that he could be seriously concerned by a topic on an internet messageboard. Anyway, if he were I think he would at least take the time to read it and he would see that despite some recent criticism no one is actually calling for him to go. He's probably the third or fourth most popular manager (at his club that is) in the premier league. I'm sure he's aware of that.

Before the start of tonight's match Mark Hughes said: "If we're going to view ourselves as a team that can cope with European football then we've got to overcome Larissa."

The shambles over two legs against Larissa have clearly shown that we can not cope with European football. We have been failures against a Greek outfit that has only won once in their league this season. The Rovers players certainly have to take their share of responsibility for the disgraceful debacle in Greece a fortnight ago, but I also think it is perfectly valid to question the coaching and tactics of our management.

I hope that Mark Hughes remains our manager for years to come. I happen to think he's the best manager we've had since Kenny Dalglish, but Hughes is not infallible, he does not get decisions right all of the time, and after last season's failure to get past the last 32 of the UEFA Cup, followed by the embarrassing shambles this season, I feel entitled to question the tactics of our management.

I don't believe that Hughes should be in a sacrosanct position where he is immune from criticism when it is due. The manager rightly gets the plaudits when things go well, so it's only fair that some of his decisions should be questioned when things go badly wrong.

Three posts in particular on the main Larissa thread sum up my views tonight....

Ever wondered why they put rubbers on the end of pencils Smithy? It's cos everyone makes mistakes! :tu:

I very much doubt that he could be seriously concerned by a topic on an internet messageboard. Anyway, if he were I think he would at least take the time to read it and he would see that despite some recent criticism no one is actually calling for him to go. He's probably the third or fourth most popular manager (at his club that is) in the premier league. I'm sure he's aware of that.

Well ok if you're sure.

For those crying for Benni and MGP, they did come on last niht- you just didn't notice. I was sitting 10 feet from Sparky, and when he was putting MGP on, I said "you've just lost us this tie". And he did. The substitutions shouldn't have been made- at that point we were doing ok, they disrupted the flow.

But he couldn't believe some of the pathetic passing and shooting. And watching Mark Bowen trying to make some of the (English) members of the team understand what he was saying was worth the travel in itself.

For those crying for Benni and MGP, they did come on last niht- you just didn't notice. I was sitting 10 feet from Sparky, and when he was putting MGP on, I said "you've just lost us this tie". And he did. The substitutions shouldn't have been made- at that point we were doing ok, they disrupted the flow.

But he couldn't believe some of the pathetic passing and shooting. And watching Mark Bowen trying to make some of the (English) members of the team understand what he was saying was worth the travel in itself.

Being one of the ones crying for Benni and Gamst, it was from the start, not half way into second half. You're probably right in that the substitutions didn't matter, but we had lost the flow when they came on anyway. Dunn was knackered and should've been subbed first of all, as he gave the ball away a lot and not able to track back. He played well for the first 50 min though, but we lost the shape when he went into the middle. Benny never had any chance to influence the game with coming on less than 20 min left, replacing Derbyshire who'd given a good Benny display by running into offsides all night and missing with his only chance.

I also agree with the thread name being out of scope. We all think Hughes is fantastic manager.

Oh behave your bloody self ! Even the messiah gets it wrong now and then - look at a platypus.

Mark Hughes is the best manager we've lured down to Nuttall Street, just surpassing 'King' Kenny for me. Don't forget Kenny had a sort of Abaramovich budget to play with (although the owner preferred tripe to borscht), Sparky has had to use limited funds to put this squad together and I am happier as a rovers fan than I've been in a long time. Even the press are starting to give us the thumbs up.

We cocked up - so what ? One win over any of the top 5 Smithy and you'll be bouncing round your bedsit again.

:rolleyes:

Rovers lost it in the 1st leg.

The team had a mountain to climb last night & came up short. It didn`t click for us.

Hughes needs to kick some backsides. His Blackburn teams are renowned for playing & working hard.......a few 'stars' are now beginning to slack off a bit. Hughes must stamp on it now before the rot sets in.

If Mark looked at the topics and threads just out of interest or accidently now he would see "Hughes Out".

Don't you think he would jump to conclusions? :huh:

He'd jump to the conclusion that this MB has a few pillocks amongst its users. He'd be right, too.

Any so called Rovers fans crying for Hughs' blood wants to pack up anf go and surport another club.

You have to give the man credit for he has achieved at this club and such a limited budget and with such a small town club, lets face we are not your United's or your Chelsea's who can attract any player they want.

Personaly I felt sorry for hughs last night and to a certain extent embarrased that we are unable to meet up to his expectations. I just hope that he will not be lured away by another club who will feed his enthusiasm for Euope and success.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.