Jump to content
  • Player Archive

    Sign in to follow this  

    George "Geordie" Anderson

    Surname Anderson
    Forename(s) George "Geordie"
    Position(s) Half back

    5'8" 12st.
    b. Edinburgh 5 October 1871


    Debut 29 October 1892 (21y 24d) Final Game 30 April 1900 (28y 207d)
    First Goal 2 January 1893 Final Goal 27 February 1900
    CAREER: Leith Athletic [27-5];Blackburn Rovers Oct'92;New Brighton Tower Aug'97;Blackburn Rovers Apr'98;New Brighton Tower Mar'99[8];Blackpool Aug'99;Blackburn Rovers Oct'99;Blackpool Feb'00-May'04 [89-29];Cliftonville Aug'05.

    Playing Statistics

    FL          178 apps  19 gls                        1 og
    FAC        18 apps
    TM           4 apps    1 gl
    Total     200 apps  20 gls   et 30m         1 og
    Penalty record T 2 Sc 1 Sv 1
    LC          16 apps    1 gl     et 30m


    The son of a pattern maker, Anderson was a fitter who came south to provide the club with the hard, physical play of a successful wing half of the time. Although he was a fixture on the field he provided the committee with plenty of off-field concern. On one occasion he and Harry Marshall returned to Scotland, leading the club to believe that they had defected, only to turn up a week later with expressions of innocence. Then he started concentrating on sprint racing, until the committee intervened and banned him. Finally he was suspended for not keeping himself in condition. When New Brighton offered him a handsome signing on fee he left but returned to help out when the club had to undergo the trials of test matches. He made his home in Blackpool and was converted to inside forward by the local club although he had a brief final fling at Ewood. He retired from playing but was given a short contract with Cliftonville to help them in the Irish League. Whilst in Blackburn he married Hannah Ainsworth, landlady of the Gardener’s Arms in Bolton Street. When he moved to Blackpool she and her three children moved as well and she took over a guest house in Oddfellow Street. When Anderson stopped playing football they moved to another in Victoria Street. Then at the end of 1920, Anderson simply disappeared. Officials of Blackpool FC helped in their endeavours to locate him but despite extensive enquiries he was never found.

    Edited by OnePhilT

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.