Jump to content
  • Player Archive

    Sign in to follow this  

    William Almond

    Surname Almond
    Forename(s) William
    Position(s) Half back

    5' 9"  11st.10lb.
    b. Blackburn 5 April 1867
    d. Liverpool AMJ 1923


    Debut 5 May 1888 (20y 30d) Final Game 1 October 1892 (24y 179d)
    First Goal 10 November 1888 Final Goal 17 September 1892
    CAREER: Park Road '82;Witton '84;Blackburn Rovers May'88;Accrington Oct'92[9-1];Northwich Victoria Aug'93[5];Middlesbrough '93;Millwall Athletic Jan'94;Tottenham Hotspur Nov'95;Millwall Athletic Apr'97;Clapton Orient;Wandsworth.

    Playing Statistics

    FL            58 apps    3 gls
    FAC           9 apps    1 gl
    Total       67 apps    4 gls
    LC            13 apps    1 gl


    Almond was born in Ingham Street but moved to Audley Range when his father, James, died. He started playing with Park Road when he started work. He spent two seasons with them and four with Witton before the Rovers recruited him to play in the inaugural Football League. At home anywhere in the half back line he was most accomplished in the centre, where he was selected for England. He lost this opportunity because the club needed him for a league fixture and he was later displaced in the Rovers' team by Geordie Dewar. He played for the reserves for some time, a consequence of the fact that he was employed as the club’s groundsman, before he decided that he wanted first team football. Following a spell at Accrington he began to wander, through Cheshire, the north-east and finally arriving in London. He returned north to Liverpool, where he had a chip shop in Hardwick Street, but was suffering ill health as a consequence of a football injury received when playing for Northwich at Lincoln City in 1893 and suffered financially. In 1912 his old Rovers' team-mate, Geordie Anderson, arranged him a benefit game which saw Blackpool play the staff of the Tower Palace. During his spell in London he was suspended in April 1894 for playing illegally for the First Scots Guards. He was the first Rover ever to be sent off receiving his marching orders in March 1890 for questioning a decision in the game against Queens Park.

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.