Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Second midfielder - shoot-out.

den

Who should go into our team of "greats"  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who should go into our team of "greats"

• Jimmy Forrest
    • Tim Sherwood

Sherwood played and captained the greatest Rovers team of modern times, as well as IMO being arguable Rovers most vital player during that season.

Surely thats enough.

I voted Forrest because he would have preferred Nike.

Oh, and what about being the rock for arguably the greatest English dynasty of all times? Does that not matter?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for Forrest this time round. Sherwood is one of my favourite Rovers players, but Forrest's record cant be argued with.

Whatever the outcome of this poll, people will probably still argue about it. I've just been looking through all the older greatest player threads (shameless in-site advertising wink.gif - new section coming soon!), and the Forrest/Sherwood debate sparked up in the middle of the right-back thread!

Seen as some of you are as open minded as a burnt book, maybe you should recall the 94/95 season.

Shearer was admittedly the guy who got all the goals, and we wouldn't have won the league without him.

Sherwood was the main leader and most influencial midfielder, and we wouldn't have won the league without him.

So apologies if Forrest was before my time, but again explain what he did for Rovers that equals captaining the team that won the biggest domestic prize around?

Edited by shillito15

Taking a quote from FLB from the first page of this thread::

Jimmy Forrest - 5 FA Cup winners medals - twelve years at Rovers - local lad - England captain

May be classed as equalling the achievements of Sherwood.

So apologies if Forrest was before my time, but again explain what he did for Rovers that equals captaining the team that won the biggest domestic prize around?

Doing it 5 times. Oh, and it more than equals it.

No he didn't, he won the FA Cup.

And let's face it, how he conquered Old Etonians, Blackburn Olympic and Darwen, I'll never know !

Taking a quote from FLB from the first page of this thread::

Jimmy Forrest - 5 FA Cup winners medals - twelve years at Rovers - local lad - England captain

May be classed as equalling the achievements of Sherwood.

What was it you liked about him ?

His vision ? Eye for a goal ? Battling qualities ? Pipe smoking ?

In my ignorance, I didn't even read this thread or come to terms with the fact that Forrest played for Rovers OVER 100 YEARS AGO.

So how the hell can this even be a thread as nobody(barring Jim) ever actually saw him play.

Next poll : Who was harder? The T-Rex or Jesus Christ.

Doing it 5 times. Oh, and it more than equals it.

No he didn't, he won the FA Cup.

And let's face it, how he conquered Old Etonians, Blackburn Olympic and Darwen, I'll never know !

As you'd know if you'd bothered to read FLB's excellent post, the FA Cup was the premier competition back then. And those clubs you mentioned were the equivalent to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd today.

I'm not going to carry on as I don't want to be accused of "negative posting" again. All I'll say is that Forrest was the best midfielder in the country at the time, he won the most prestigious competition in the country at the time 5 times for his hometown club, and was a regular for his national side.

Sherwood, although a good player, wasn't even the best midfielder at the club and never played for England during his time at the Rovers.

Well, quite clearly, we don't know exactly what his qualities were, you have to judge things on balance of evidence available.

But clearly you've already done that after a careful and considered analysis of both careers, judging by the derisory way in which you refer to a major figure in the history of Blackburn Rovers. Pathetic.

How can people vote for a player they have never seen play??

Lets get real, if Forrest played in modern day football, he would not be able to hack it.

And Jim, must you vote for the oldest player available in each position?

Did you not think anyone from the 94-95 title winning team where any good?

Edited by greggyk

Well, quite clearly, we don't know exactly what his qualities were, you have to judge things on balance of evidence available.

But clearly you've already done that after a careful and considered analysis of both careers, judging by the derisory way in which you refer to a major figure in the history of Blackburn Rovers. Pathetic.

Pathetic ?

Not half as pathetic as voting for a player you have no knowledge whatsover about as being one of the all time great Blackburn Rovers Players.

When asked why you think Forrest was such a good player, what are you going to come back with ?

When did you first hear about this 'major figure in Blackburn Rovers history' ?

At least with Jim waxing lyrical about Clayton Newton Pickering etc, we know something about them.

How can people vote for a player they have never seen play??

Well, I never got to see Alfredo Di Stefano or Ferenc Puskas play, does that mean they weren't great players? Of course it doesn't. Could they hack it in todays game? Who knows, but that's really not the point. We've been asked to vote for the greatest ever Rovers XI - not the best in the modern era alone. Thus far I have voted for several players I never personally had the pleasure of witnessing in blue and white - some due to the testimonies of people who have been watching Rovers a hell of a lot longer than you or I, some (as in the case of Forrest) on the basis of their contribution to the club, and their help in forging the heritage for which Blackburn Rovers is so rightly famed. Jimmy Forrest was a local hero who won the FA cup 5 times, and one of five players who featured in every match of the longest unbeaten run in the history of the competition (24 matches) - records which stand to this day. If nothing else that would be good enough for me.

p.s. Lighten up, it's only a bit of fun.

Nothing much before I read FLB's testimonial, before that I had voted for Latheron. And yes, I was well aware of him before this vote was started.

Should we make this the "Greatest Rovers Team that We have Seen" then? Remove Bob Crompton and stick Lucas Neill in.

Any other of your mates you want voted in? Maybe Darren Peacock because he is "experienced"? wink.gif

Lets get real, if Forrest played in modern day football, he would not be able to hack it.

Irrelevant.

This is a vote for all-time great players.

so your voting for someone on other peoples opinions

I do not care about being negative.

Sherwood was very lucky to be in a team that won the Premiership. He was captain by defealt. Shearer should have been captain and Sherwood was at best an also ran. If we had had a decent midfielder he would have been in the reserves.

A real player would have been a regular in the England team.

Sherwood was not because he was not good enough.

He is just not good enough to be a Rovers great, just an average journeyman.

Vote Forrest.

Nothing much before I read FLB's testimonial, before that I had voted for Latheron. And yes, I was well aware of him before this vote was started.

Should we make this the "Greatest Rovers Team that We have Seen" then? Remove Bob Crompton and stick Lucas Neill in.

Any other of your mates you want voted in? Maybe Darren Peacock because he is "experienced"? wink.gif

No need to get bitchy.

I happen to think our history lacks a central midfielder of the class of a Douglas or a Clayton, so with no other outstanding candidate, plumped for our inspirational Premiership winning leader of our most celebrated post war achievment.

Oh, and my son's middle name is Sherwood so I am a little biased.

PS Luca was robbed.

Oh, and my son's middle name is Sherwood so I am a little biased.

PS Luca was robbed.

The poor mite !

Better than Flowers I suppose.

He's coming along nicely Jim.

Scored his first goal from midfield for Akzo under7's on sunday wearing that famous No 4 shirt.

He hasn't started abusing the fans yet though !