SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left wing

den

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Wilcox on the left did we not finish 2nd and Win the league??

No Hughesy, that's not right. We only won the league when we finished 1st. Your thinking of the previous season when we finished second and were runners up.

We finished 4th, 2nd and 1st with Jason. He was an excellent player, no denying that, but Duff has the edge IMO.

We finished 4th, 2nd and 1st with Jason. He was an excellent player, no denying that, but Duff has the edge IMO.

Or a worthington cup with Duff!

Im sorry but he wasnt in the team, playing excellent, at rovers long enough to say he was the best left winger.

What did he win with the club?

Bloody hell...so it's Duff's fault the other 10 around him weren't up to his standards?

You do post some utter tosh on here but you're out-doing yourself with this one.

Edit: Apologies for the second remark, I forgot about the Diouf/AIDS/contimated spit comment.

Edited by LeChuck

Im sorry but he wasnt in the team,

Well done Hughesy.

I better change the history books.

Cup Final Team

Blackburn:-

Friedel;

Taylor, Berg (Capt), Johansson, Bjornebye;

Gillespie (sub Hignett, 76), Hughes, Dunn, Duff

Cole, Jansen (sub Jordi, 73)

Subs not used:- Miller; Curtis, Mahon

Have a word with the LET photographer as well.

user posted image

Im sorry but he wasnt in the team, playing excellent, at rovers long enough to say he was the best left winger.

I don't think he is saying he wasn't in the Cup winning team, but he didn't feature in the Rovers team for a substantial period to be classed as a 'great'.

Then again, after reading some of Hughesy's other posts, I could be wrong wink.gif

Im sorry but he wasnt in the team,

Well done Hughesy.

I better change the history books.

Cup Final Team

Blackburn:-

Friedel;

Taylor, Berg (Capt), Johansson, Bjornebye;

Gillespie (sub Hignett, 76), Hughes, Dunn, Duff

Cole, Jansen (sub Jordi, 73)

Subs not used:- Miller; Curtis, Mahon

Have a word with the LET photographer as well.

user posted image

Dippy, read my post properly. (It might just be the way i said it)

I mean he wasnt in the rovers team, long enough and playing at an excellent level to be classed as our best ever left winger.

I didnt mean that he didnt play in the cup final. Obviously he did you Dognut!

Dippy, read my post properly. (It might just be the way i said it)

I mean he wasnt in the rovers team, long enough and playing at an excellent level to be classed as our best ever left winger.

I didnt mean that he didnt play in the cup final. Obviously he did you Dognut!

In English that is saying that he wasn't in the Cup Final team.

However, I admit it's not clear that it is English, the middle bit of that makes little sense, if any at all.

Two votes for Noel? Thats outrageous!

mad.gif

So it is. Brotherston deserves more recognition than he's getting on here. I really hoped someone would put a case forward for him, but there you go. Hopefully it's not too late to get someone to put something down on here, so as to keep some memories of him alive.

Having said that I voted for duff. smile.gif There was a problem here for me. I think it's one position where we don't really have a true great. Duffer comes top of the next catageory - he was the best. Not a great, but the best.

Im simply saying that he didnt do enough with the club to be classed as our best ever left winger. Obvioulsy he is going to win as that is all some people seem to be able to remember.

To be a great player the team he plays in needs to win trophies/leagues?

Wilcox in his prime would never have gone to a bigger club for such a large amount of money. He was effective in the same way that Ripley was effective. Duff was a class above - a magician who could turn a game in seconds with a brillaint run, a killer pass or a great goal.

Ripley won the Premiership with Blackburn. Douglas lost 3-0 in the FA Cup Final to Wolves. Who did you vote for?

What exactly did Damien Duff do for us?

Score goals? Create them? Terrorise defences? Give us something to look forward to? Be worth the price of admission alone?

Hughesy before you start throwing abuse around read your posts.

What did he win --------A Worthington Cup Medal

Score goals? Create them? Terrorise defences? Give us something to look forward to? Be worth the price of admission alone?

Compared to Wilcox who won a league champions medal. And also enjoyed 2 other top 4 finishes.

Compared to Wilcox who won a league champions medal. And also enjoyed 2 other top 4 finishes.

I'll say it again.

Ripley won the Premiership with Blackburn. Douglas lost 3-0 in the FA Cup Final to Wolves. Who did you vote for?

Just checked the stats. (Based on league games)

Damien Duff

184 games, 28 goals

Wilcox

249 games, 31 goals

That works out that Duff scored 1 in every 7 games and Wilcox got 1 in every 8 games.

Yes that means duff did better on that front but I would like to see how many assists each had.

Edited by Hughesy

It's fine if you think Wilcox was better Hughesy, but there's no need to force your view upon everyone else. Obviously the majority don't agree with you and have already voted, so there is nothing you can do about it. You had better just accept that Wilcox will not win this vote. On the last 2 pages every other post is from you. rolleyes.gif

Im simply saying that he didnt do enough with the club to be classed as our best ever left winger. Obvioulsy he is going to win as that is all some people seem to be able to remember.

To be a great player the team he plays in needs to win trophies/leagues?

Wilcox in his prime would never have gone to a bigger club for such a large amount of money. He was effective in the same way that Ripley was effective. Duff was a class above - a magician who could turn a game in seconds with a brillaint run, a killer pass or a great goal.

ask Shearer that question.......

Wilcox was a very good player but the whole point of the 95 team was that apart from Shearer it was about the team not individuals.

How many of the players in 95 did well elswhere?

Wilcox at Leeds?

Ripley at Southampton?

Sherwood at Spurs?

Flowers at Leicester?

Berg at Manure?

Batty at Newcastle?

Duff is brilliant for Chelsea, he's been brilliant for Ireland and he will continue to be one of the most exciting players in the world no matter what shirt he's wearing.

Burscough Bob ; the left wing wizard.

Bobby Langton was born in Burscough, Lancashire on 8th Sept 1918.

He joined Rovers from Burscough Victoria when he was 19 years old, initially as an amateur, soon turning professional in Sept 1938. He contributed to the promotion winning side back to the top flight of the 1938-39 season scoring 14 goals in 37 appearances.

He was a very fast left winger who could cross a ball from every angle. He liked to cut inside from time to time and unleash a shot like a cannonball. I remember one of his goalbound shots cannoning off the forehead of John Charles, the Leeds United centre half, and bouncing on the roof of the Darwen End. The crowd stood in awe as Charles just shook his head instead of collapsing poll-axed. (This was in the 1950s.........I’m not THAT old).

As well as being a winger, he liked to go into the centre forward’s spot to score goals . He could dribble too.

Wartime disrupted everything but after playing for Glentoran in Ireland as a guest and thrilling the spectators there, he made a total of 42 wartime appearances for Rovers scoring 7 goals.

After the war he scored 5 goals in 70 games between 1946 and 1948.

When Rovers were relegated to the second division Langton was sold to Preston North End for £14,000 in August 1948 where he scored 14 goals in 55 games.

In November 1949 Bolton Wanderers bought him for a club record fee of £20,000.

He scored 16 goals in 118 appearances for the Trotters. He played in the 1953 FA Cup Final.

He returned to Ewood aged 34 in Sept 1953 to be part of a well-remembered forward line of Douglas, Crossan, Briggs, Quigley, Langton.

Although age had slowed him down he had lost none of his guile and still thrilled the Rovers fans.

In those three seasons he played 105 games scoring 33 goals.

He was capped for England 15 times; seven of those whilst with Rovers.

My father-in-law reckons he was better than two other great wingers McLeod and Harrison in that he was more skilful than just sprinting down the touchline and crossing the ball; but that was in his young days, not the fifties.

So Bobby was fast, a good dribbler, a good crosser, liked to get into the penalty area and score goals, had a rocket shot and took the penalties. Also he got capped for England in the heyday of Matthews and Finney.

Just checked the stats. (Based on league games)

Damien Duff

184 games, 28 goals

Wilcox

249 games, 31 goals

That works out that Duff scored 1 in every 7 games and Wilcox got 1 in every 8 games.

Yes that means duff did better on that front but I would like to see how many assists each had.

Just look at your recordings of the great seasons of the Jack Walker era and see how many goals are created and scored by Wilcox. It is quite amazing.

He was never fully appreciated by the crowd and was, IMO, the most under-rated player of that period.

So Bobby was fast, a good dribbler, a good crosser, liked to get into the penalty area and score goals, had a rocket shot and took the penalties. Also he got capped for England in the heyday of Matthews and Finney.

All good stuff Bazza - I liked Langton too - but you're wasting your time.

The youngsters aren't interested in players pre-1980.

I'm disappointed that Mike Harrison has not got a single vote so far.

Edited by jim mk2

The youngsters aren't interested in players pre-1980.

I hadn't noticed how deliberate your attempts to start arguments were until someone else pointed it out...I can't believe how ignorant I was. biggrin.gif

Might have to be a bit more subtle with them now though, bit easy to see through them at the moment.