• Duncan McKenzie
    • Chris Sutton
    • Kevin Gallacher

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going on Eddies theory.

I don't care about everyone elses opinions on 'past greats,' football is about individual emotions, and since my first season as a Rovers season ticket holder, no strikers has given me more pleasure than Matt Jansen, Chris Sutton and Kevin Gallacher. (And Shearer who got my first vote)

Out the three, I'd say Jansen was the most naturally talented, Gallacher the best finisher, but Chris Sutton the most effective.

Overall though my vote goes for.....

Matt Jansen.

Would we have won the league without Gallacher/Sutton? Probably.

Would we have won our first major cup final in god knows how long, or even be in the Premier League now without Matt Jansen? DEFINATELY NOT!

If that doesn't deserve recognition as one of the greats, then so be it. I think it should do.

football is about individual emotions,

Rubbish. Football is no more about individual emotions than reading a newspaper on the bloody toilet is. Football is so obviously a communal experience that I can't even be bothered arguing the point. DEFINITELY NOT.

Eh? Agree with you, but do you read the newspaper on the loo with other people?

Rubbish. Football is no more about individual emotions than reading a newspaper on the bloody toilet is. Football is so obviously a communal experience that I can't even be bothered arguing the point. DEFINITELY NOT.

Errr...I think I meant if it was individual you would get about the same emotion as reading....in other words you need the rest of the crowd....

Ignore that. I'm talking the same as the thing what you do on the toilet...crap.

Anyway football is all about group emotion.

err...where's my coat?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

this is tough. the posts for Briggs and Southworth have been enlightening.

But for being the undisputed star of the team for the first 7 or 8 years of my time as a Rovers fan as well as for being our leading all-time scorer I have to go for Garner.

Coupled with this is a romantic notion that he was probably the last great "pint and a fag with the fans" type player we will ever see.

all of which might be harsh on the other two but there you go...

How's that?

In this case, Garner, Speedie etc etc I never saw play, so with my closed mind and all that, why the hell would I vote for them?

Have they ever given me pleasure during my football watching life? No.

I wish all you older lot would sod off and except that younger people couldn't care less about your manafesto's on all these older players, they've never touched us younger lot (thats what I meant by the individual emotion thing, perhaps worded it wrong) and it seems to you lot you have to have played atleast 10 years ago and be retired to be a 'great.'

Open mindedness indeed. rolleyes.gif

Sitting on the toilet is about a group of motions.

Can hence understand the confusion.

Ignore that. I'm talking the same as the thing what you do on the toilet...crap.

At last, he's finally admitted it.

Yes I love you too Jimmy. biggrin.gif

shilito - fair enough you are right that you should be able to vote for whoever you like without being told you have a closed mind so I take anything back from my posts which may have suggested that. The "us younger lot" thing isn't true though as some younger members have voted for players they haven't seen while some of the old giffers won't look past the players of their youth. So it isn't a matter just of age. You're right in that you should be able to vote for who you like without being criticised though.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

The second, best EVER rovers striker?

For me it's between Garner, Briggs and Southworth.

Matt Jansen - a good player but never one of the best.

Speedie - again a good player, but same as Matt. He certainly had an impact at this club though.

Sutton - British record fee needed to get him here. Did really well and won the prem. We are looking for a "great" though and like Le Saux I felt let down by his method of leaving Ewood.

Fred Pick - better than all those mentioned so far. Local lad as well. Once more he didn't stay around long enough to earn the accolades.

Roy Vernon - didn't see him play, but those that did say he was a superb footballer. Haven't read enough about him in this topic though, to sway me.

Andy McEvoy - now we're talking! The second best finisher that I've seen at Ewood. For two/three seasons he was unstoppable. He wasn't a powerful player, he was simply supreme at passing the ball into the net. He just used to turn and pass - into the net. Wasn't around long enough either.

John Byrom - the golden boy of English football when he came into the rovers side at 18 years of age. He was fortunate enough to take his place when Douglas had moved to inside left and he benefitted from that considerably. Don't underestimate how good a player he was though. Sadly, he spent most of his days playing down at Burnden.

Mike Newell - possibly the best form of his life at Ewood. Him and Shearer had a great understanding. He fell away quickly. Too quickly to be the second best ever.

Duncan McKenzie - what a footballer. Saw him destroy the then first division Coventry at Ewood, by a third division rovers, in the F.A. cup. I thought that was one of the best individual displays I'd ever seen from a rovers player. "great" doesn't exactly fit though.

So, Southworth, Garner or Briggs?

Well the testimonials on here for Southworth are extremely good. A local lad as well - that always goes down well with me.

Violinist at the Halle orchestra!

Simon Garner - he's probably going to win. The highest goalscorer in the history of rovers, that takes some beating as a reference.There's only one snag with voting for Garns - he only ever did it in the lower leagues. If he won though, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

and finally, Tommy Briggs. 7 goals in one game*. 30 goals a season, four seasons on the run! Thanks Billy, really good to have your recollections of a player that was the best rovers centre forward apart from Shearer, in many peoples eyes.

So, who to go for? I don't know. smile.gifbiggrin.gif

*Those seven goals in one game were scored 50 years ago last Saturday. The day we played Dickov as a lone front runner. What would Tommy have thought about that?

Edited by den

*Those seven goals in one game were scored 50 years ago last Saturday. The day we played Dickov as a lone front runner. What would Tommy have thought about that?

Great Post Den.

Talk about driving the point home. That stat just makes you wonder a bit doesn't it?

For me it has to be from McEvoy, Briggs and Southworth. Yes I have to include Garner in there also.

I think of all the team this is the most difficult pick of the lot.

I think of all the team this is the most difficult pick of the lot.

Au contraire, it is possibly the easiest pick of the lot. I cannot understand the difficulty here - we are very lucky to have had many great forwards at Ewood over the years as witnessed by the posts above; however, I struggle to see how there can be any choice but:

1. Possibly the greatest centre forward in English, never mind BRFC, football history - certainly post-war to keep comparisons reasonably sane

2. The all-time leading goalscorer for the club and a career of unswerving loyalty to the cause

There are many other worthy players, but in such company, they are only ever just that - worthy.

If we are encouraging debate, then fine - debate away - but are we seriously suggesting any other combination than Garner & Shearer?

I'll disappear now until the tirade of abuse subsides sad.gif

Incidentally how did Brad Fridel get voted ahead of ........... Bobby Mimms? I searched for the thread but I couldn't find it.

laugh.gif

Please tell me that's a joke.

Think I'll read all the descriptions of the strikers that played before my time at work tommorow wink.gif before I cast my vote.

I've gone for Southworth, although I don't think he'll end up winning.

I can see it being Garner, but there've been some fantastic testimonies so it could perhaps be a close-run thing, possibly with Briggs.

At last, he's finally admitted it.

When are you gonna pluck up the courage to do likewise Jim? huh.gif

G'wan you know you can do it and you'll feel so much better for it. wink.gif