BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greatest Ever Rovers Team

den

This is the full team that you have voted for, in the BRFCS.com poll for the greatest ever team. [% of votes, each player won by.]*

Brad Friedel [40.8%]

Bob Crompton [49.68%]

Mike England [64.89%]

Colin Hendry [50.28%]

Graeme Le Saux [48.03%]

Bryan Douglas [57.63%]

Ronnie Clayton [67.28%]

Jimmy Forrest [54.31%]

Damien Duff [74.88%]

Alan Shearer [82.11%]

Simon Garner [50.93%]

*for the Ch, CM and striker, the percentage shown is for the vote where they were selected.

The result of the last striker poll was:

Simon Garner..........[ 109 ].........[50.93%]

Chris Sutton............[ 26 ]...........[12.15%]

Matt Jansen.............[ 22 ]...........[10.28%]

Tommy Briggs..........[ 19 ]...........[8.88%]

Jack Southworth......[ 12 ]...........[5.61%]

David Speedie..........[ 10 ]...........[4.67%]

Kevin Gallacher.........[ 7 ]............[3.27%]

Fred Pickering...........[ 3 ]............[1.40%]

Roy Vernon...............[ 2 ]............[0.93%]

Andy McEvoy.............[ 2 ]............[0.93%]

Mike Newell...............[ 2 ]............[0.93%]

John Byrom...............[ 0 ].............[0.00%]

Duncan McKenzie......[ 0 ].............[0.00%]

Total Votes: 214

Now then, as a matter of interest, rather than selecting substitutes, a greatest ever reserve team, based on the same polls would be:

Flowers

Berg

Moran

Fazackerley

Eckersley

Ripley

Sherwood

Latheron

Wilcox

Sutton

Jansen

That's how it is when counting the total votes in all polls.

That's basically it folks. I've really enjoyed it. Without all the input and research by yourselves, this would have been a nightmare topic. Some people scoff, but it was just a bit of fun and a chance for everyone to put their views on their favourite rovers players.

Some memorable moments as well. We had the "spotty faced oiks" - correct me if I'm wrong biggrin.gif , and some GREAT testimonials, from lots of contributors. [That made the whole topic worthwhile].

To me, the highlight was the Sherwood/Forrest shootout, Brownie, FourLaneBlue take a bow. thumbs-up.gif

Anyone for the greatest ever player/ greatest ever manager, or should we leave it at that?

not sure who's putting in the tackles in that midfield but I can't argue with the results (although I wish I could think of a better left-back than le Saux)

Here's an idea, rather doing a greatest ever player poll why don't we do a 'Mr Blackburn Rovers' Poll that way we can debate Garner Vs Parkes Vs Compton Vs Clayton etc. might be a bit more fun.

Worthwhile exercise and an interesting team.

My only real objection is the weasel Le Saux, who got in only because he was in the championship team and was not even a decent left back.

Bagsie me manager - I'd haul Le Saux off in the first minute and replace him with Sir Keith Newton.

No dont worry about it mate, i was just interested in how many it was, a good coupla 1000 i would guess. I like stats, i suppose it comes with growing up with American parents, they kinda like stats in the states cool.gif

Dont worry about it.

Edited by BRFC4EVA

All the posts and polls have been kept hidden away somewhere for a while. When I get my arse into gear they'll be made into a section of the website so its there for everyone to read any time they wish. smile.gif

Well done to den and his helpers for achieving a superb thread.

I would run a best Manager/Coach competition.

I think running a worst squad would just be gratuitous. Whereas the greatest players from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries were well written up, the dolloppers who were responsible for the Rovers exiting the FA Cup to non-league opposition twice in three seasons in the early '20s are thankfully forgotten by all except jim.

Worthwhile exercise and an interesting team.

My only real objection is the weasel Le Saux, who got in only because he was in the championship team and was not even a decent left back.

Bagsie me manager - I'd haul Le Saux off in the first minute and replace him with Sir Keith Newton.

Not often we agree on things Jim but you are correct in this instance. Newton was head and shoulders clear, however imo and to be fair Le Saux was easily the second best left full back that I have seen since first going in 1961.

But I gotta say........deep breath and wait for the flak........... Simon Garner although a legend at the club would no way be selected in that sort of company on a pure ability / everyone fit and in their prime basis. I can readily think of 10 far better players.

I'm glad that nearly all of the Championship-winning side got a mention somewhere. They are, after all the only people who have brought us REAL honours in living memory so deserve it more than anyone else. (Agreed with Ronnie Clauton adn Bryan Douglas though)

All for a worst team ever. Darren Peacock surely must be a top contender

I'm glad that nearly all of the Championship-winning side got a mention somewhere. They are, after all the only people who have brought us REAL honours in living memory

Not sure about the 'living memory' bit, my Gran distinctly remembers the victory parade for the '28 cup win and I seem to remember a cup final in Cardiff a few years ago...