Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Left back

Alan75

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the best full backs (left) that I've seen, in order:

Eckersley- great defender , nothing flashy about him, did the job every week rain and shine. His standard never seemed to drop. My memory of him was that he seemed to play the same each week.

Newton- Hard defender to get around. If he was playing now, he would be the first on the team sheet.

Le Saux-The educated mans (womans) fullback, The best of his era, the overlapping fullback. In some ways, it's a pity he got old, and the rovers shafted their Prem side.

Whelan- My personal favourite, Always liked Dave, he had the same first name as me, used to like getting stuck in. I'll never forgive that Wolves winger (McParland/Mc Farland) for breaking his leg in the 1960 cup final. Had we had 11 on the park it might, just might, have been a bit different.

But, it's got to be Bill.

I've seen all the full backs since Andy Burgin & as most of them were in the 2nd & 3rd Division I think that rules them out from the greatest ever Rovers XI. Of the left backs we have had since Uncle Jacks revolution I think Le Saux has to be the best England International & prem winner says it all really... however his tantrum in Moscow & aledged squabbles at the end of his stint with us all stack massively against him.

I'm afraid that the left back selection for me is going to have to go to a player I have only ever read about, but any ex-player who asks for his ashes to be scattered on the pitch has got to be very highly respected.

The fact that other knowledgable posters in this topic can testify to both his brilliance on the field & genuineness of the field means that I can only vote for Bill Eckersley. rover.gif

My father used to enthuse about Bill Eckersley so much..one hell of a player he used to say and a Rovers man through and through!

The story of how he used to display his England caps in the house window on Bolton rd and how his ashes were scattered on the Ewood park pitch after he passed away warm the heart....21,000 turned out for his testimonial game in '61.

Read non other than Sir Tom Finneys book.....he used to hate playing against Bill if anymore proof is needed.

Never saw him play but he gets my vote.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I voted for Le Saux due to his form around the time we won the title when he was magic. He even banged in quite a few goals at that time and won a few big games as well as putting loads of great crosses over. He left under a cloud but was a great player.

Other favourites are Basil Rathbone and Wee Alan Wright. I think left back is 1 of the positions where we have generally had good players over the years.

Who was the worst ever lleft back then? In my era I would suggest Calum Davidosn would take some beating. He was useless. I do remember a bloke called Oliver who we signed from somewhere like Berwick in around 1990, he was particularly bad but I don't think he established himself to the extent that Davidson did.

From the posts so far, and the average age of MBer's, it looks like Le Saux will win it. He was good, very good, but I would go for Eckersley. I've never seen him, but so many glowing tributes, Tom Finney's endorsement (many rated him as being better than Stanley Matthews, he could play either left or right wing and murder any full back), and his ashes on the pitch cement it for me.

The age issue will be a constant bone of contention in this vote. It's like polls voting the latest "it" band as being the best ever in the paper because young people are the only ones that vote.

I only have 15 years of genuine Rovers knowledge in me, so I can't vouch for the older generations but by listening to others I'll make a choice.

It will get more interesting as we progress through the team.

It doesn't get any easier does it - after the previous two which I thought where difficult to call we now throw up this.

Ceases to amaze me that when you look back at players that have passed through our club the amount of talent that have donned the famous shirt.

As Bazza has said earlier, it is always very difficult to compare players from different decades, and dependent upon your age and what you have seen or maybe heard there will always be the bias for certain players you have seen play in your decision.

I mentioned in an earlier thread not to forget Chris Sulley in the nominations just out of respect that I felt he never really let us down, however he is not he best I have seen play. Bailey and Rathbone I can remember see playing but that was in my younger years and the memories are a bit vague to say anything special. Alan Wright was one I feel proved all critics wrong and was an excellent LB and for his height was certainly not embarrassed in the heading dept and appeared to have the 'speedie' leap so to put it.

Without one person the best I have seen would have to be LeSaux - possibly and arguably the best left back to play in the P/L so far with the ability to score goals as well and if it hadn't been for his spat with Batty and is finger salute to the Rovers fans in the Pre season friendly at Sheff Utd he could well have got my vote.

However, you don't get the reverance of Eckersley cheaply and as I said earlier it is very difficult to compare players from different eras; but the way people speak about this guy and the comments from Finney and Matthews sways me to think that he was some player. I have read great things about the guy and his consistency and the will to sweat blood for the shirt can only attribute IMO 'legend' status and makes it very difficult to really look beyond him to fill the spot - so he takes my vote.

I'll make one last plea for Keith Newton - the classiest and best full back I ever saw in a Rovers shirt. Le Saux was a converted winger with all the faults therein.

An all-star Rovers team without Keith Newton is unthinkable in my opinion. Whatever next - Tim Sherwood instead of Ronnie Clayton?

I'll make one last plea for Keith Newton - the classiest and best full back I ever saw in a Rovers shirt. Le Saux was a converted winger with all the faults therein.

An all-star Rovers team without Keith Newton is unthinkable in my opinion. Whatever next - Tim Sherwood instead of Ronnie Clayton?

The problem with Newton though Jim was that he was primarily a right-back wasn't he? As such, he's up against Bob Crompton who I'd say has more of a right than anyone to get into Rovers best ever team.

Are you saying that Newton was a better LEFT BACK than any of the others mentioned? I'd be surprised if he was.

Are you saying that Newton was a better LEFT BACK than any of the others mentioned?  I'd be surprised if he was.

Yes, because he was too good to be omitted.

That wont convince anyone Jim. smile.gif I fully understand where you are coming from with Keith Newton. Did no-one see any of the clips from the world cups of the 70's? That man had far more class than Le Saux ever had, he was a superb player.

I find it hurts a bit to see Le Saux in front of him in the poll, [it hurts a lot actually]. But he was a right back Jim.

It gauls me to see a player like Le Saux being voted in as an Ewood "great" as well. That's what the thread's all about though. Who am I to say everyone's wrong? Even if they are! biggrin.gif

Good idea. Then the manager (whoever he is) can take off Le Saux (presuming he wins) in the first minute and replace him with Sir Keith.

Fifty one per cent voting for Le Saux merely reflects the age of those on the board and has nothing to do with the ability of the candidates.

I saw Billy Wilson make his debut in 1965 but he was never anything more than solid. Bailey was like Le Saux, a converted forward who struggled when a good winger ran at him. Basil Rathbone, a lower-league scuffler, getting 2 per cent of the votes, almost as many as England international Newton, is ridiculous.

Of course Sir Keith became a Claret in his latter playing days but despite his Blackburn upbringing managed to impress even the footballing afficiandos (sp?) at Turf Moor.

Read this:

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/news/loadsngl...=ED95&id=114394

and this:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/6...les/newton.html

and here is a picture of him.

http://www.justcatnaps.com/collection/pict...newtonkeith.jpg

Edited by jim mk2