BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw on the LT boards that Sam is prepared to bide time on strikers....

Anyone read the actual article?? Wonder if they are playing hardball on the pole!?

Let's hope the Pole actually wants to come to us and we've put an offer on the table that he is mulling over. It could backfire on us if somebody else comes in for him but there are not many clubs about with the facilities we have down at Brockhall and he'd have a very good chance's of making himself the first name on the team sheet every week.

I'm sure Sam has a few cards up his sleeve. He's done well in previous windows so there's no reason why he won't do the business in this one. Players are waiting until after the world Cup, it's a chance to up their salary if they have a good run of games. I think Sam maybe eyeing one or two who are due to play in the world Cup but they obviously wont do business whilst out in South Africa. If Sam is biding his time he could well be waiting for the World Cup to end to talk to one or two players.

Let's hope the Pole actually wants to come to us and we've put an offer on the table that he is mulling over. It could backfire on us if somebody else comes in for him but there are not many clubs about with the facilities we have down at Brockhall and he'd have a very good chance's of making himself the first name on the team sheet every week.

I'm sure Sam has a few cards up his sleeve. He's done well in previous windows so there's no reason why he won't do the business in this one. Players are waiting until after the world Cup, it's a chance to up their salary if they have a good run of games. I think Sam maybe eyeing one or two who are due to play in the world Cup but they obviously wont do business whilst out in South Africa. If Sam is biding his time he could well be waiting for the World Cup to end to talk to one or two players.

Bit of a dangerous game though as the players who do well will increase their value and worth in wages!

I think as Nicko suggested, the Grella outcome will play a big part and of course if we can move on Zurab and a keeper to free up more on the payroll. Still think Guti is the nuber 1 target and I believe if we can meet his wage demands, he will come, I am sure Salgado will have done some work on this prior to Sams interest!

Ok, a fresh new thread, hopefully no more nonsense about Baseball, and american sports from now on, the last thread got to the stage of been ridiculous.

Anyway, I doubt much is going to be done as there is some tournament starting at the end of the week apparently inclding 32 of the worlds best teams. Even players, Agents, Managers not involved in the World Cup, are going to be in lock down, watching every single game.

Guti, and a striker are the priority, and no doubt Sam will be using the World Cup as a tool to view potential strikers who fit in to the masterplan. Not to sure about this Pole, could be a bit of a gamble, and we already have a young and fairly inexperienced striker up front. I honestly don't think Benjani would be a bad addition, as long as he isn't the only striker we bring in.

Saw on the LT boards that Sam is prepared to bide time on strikers....

Anyone read the actual article?? Wonder if they are playing hardball on the pole!?

The article suggests that Sam's transfer budget at the moment is £2.5 million and that is why he is having to bide his time. He is hoping that the sale of Grella and one or two other fringe players will provide him with a bigger warchest with which to enter the transfer market. The article implies that the choice of striker he goes for will depend on how much money he can generate from sales to add to the original £2.5 million that is available. The article also implies that any move for Guti would depend on how much he can raise from transfers out.

This would fit in with what John Williams has said about the club being in a trading situation - players in covered by players out. An exclusive interview with John Williams is being published in the LT on Thursday in which he will outline the financial situation at the club.

Bit of a dangerous game though as the players who do well will increase their value and worth in wages!

I think as Nicko suggested, the Grella outcome will play a big part and of course if we can move on Zurab and a keeper to free up more on the payroll. Still think Guti is the nuber 1 target and I believe if we can meet his wage demands, he will come, I am sure Salgado will have done some work on this prior to Sams interest!

Sadly the World Cup waiting game will be the players choice not Sams.

I'd love to see Guti here. that would be one hell of a coup for Rovers.

I wish someone could explain why Sam has a paltry £2.5m available for his number one striker. It's just not adding up, to me. Let's look at the figures - £2.5m for McCarthy, undisclosed fee for Gallagher, £2.25m extra for finishing 10th, plus next season's TV money etc. and THAT is the fruit of our labour!?

I wish someone could explain why Sam has a paltry £2.5m available for his number one striker. It's just not adding up, to me. Let's look at the figures - £2.5m for McCarthy, undisclosed fee for Gallagher, £2.25m extra for finishing 10th, plus next season's TV money etc. and THAT is the fruit of our labour!?

£2.5m doesn't buy much at all even Championship strikers tend to go for more than that. Its looking like we have to try and find a rough gem to cut and polish, let's hope the mines aren't empty!

I think that it is more than possible, that this is a ploy.

If you are trying to get the price down for a striker, would you really come out in the press saying "We have a 6 / 7m warchest!!". I wouldn't.

If the £2.5m is true, then the finances must be worse than we presume. Or that we are being starved to death by the Trust and will probably start to fail. Surely after such a good season, we can afford to be a bit more ambitious than buying a 16 year old defender and a Henry vacuum cleaner to play up front.

The Telewag have said £2.5m. Rovers have not and will not confirm how much or how little we will be spending this summer. Do not believe all you read in the press. The days of Peter White and his relationship with Rovers have well gone, the Telewag are clutching at straws like the rest of the media. Why should we tell the world how much we are willing to spend? Would you walk into a car show room and say "I want that car and I have £20k to buy it with"?

If there is any truth in there only being £2.5m available then that will be because we need to ensure the stability of the club and keep the books balanced just like any successful business has to, but I wouldn't read too much into it. If Sam has said that he's only £2.5m to spend then I'm sure he's playing games.

read what has been said earlier in another thread. The money for Mccarthy means we don't have a deficit on wages so what we get for finishing higher isn't in addition to the McCarthy money. One covers wages and the other is to spend on transfers.

read what has been said earlier in another thread. The money for Mccarthy means we don't have a deficit on wages so what we get for finishing higher isn't in addition to the McCarthy money. One covers wages and the other is to spend on transfers.

That doesn't make any sense.

We sold Warnock to cover a deficit in wages over the season. If we'd finish 13th with the same squad we'd have broken even.

But we did better than that - we finished 3 places higher, we sold McCarthy and got rid of his wages. It comes to far more than £2.5 million.

That doesn't make any sense.

We sold Warnock to cover a deficit in wages over the season. If we'd finish 13th with the same squad we'd have broken even.

But we did better than that - we finished 3 places higher, we sold McCarthy and got rid of his wages. It comes to far more than £2.5 million.

Yes but anyone we bring in has to be paid too so you can't say we save McCarthy's wages therefore we can spend that money. We save Mccarthy's wages and pay them to someone else. Granted we haven't been for the last few months but we can't splash all the cash we have on transfers. It has to cover a number of things. I'm not saying I agree with any of this or even understand where the money goes but this was what JW himself said in that article a week or 2 ago.

Yes but anyone we bring in has to be paid too so you can't say we save McCarthy's wages therefore we can spend that money. We save Mccarthy's wages and pay them to someone else.

We only brought in Basturk, there is no way he was on anywhere near what McCarthy was earning.

Iv explained this before & hopefully JW will put it in black & white on thursday to confirm this.....

1. There is a £5m that needed cutting off the wage bill - last season we covered that by the difference in Warnock/ Chimbonda deals
  2. From this season onwards - that £5m will be covered by the extra TV money....however that doesnt mean the board wont want it cutting furter.
  3. Money in the pot - is basically the Benni money
  4. Salgado - Wasnt budgetted for & the board/ JW backed Sam on that choice - effectively it worked as we finished 10th
  5. Players receive bonus payments based on several things - such as top 10 finishes
  6. The extra TV/ placing money earned last season therefore went on Salgado's wages + Bonus payments
  7. As all the above now makes us a trading club - its then a case of wheel & deal for sam - he has the benni money + anything he raises if he sits fit...and he also is safe in the knowledge that he wont be forced to sell ANY of his players if HE doesnt want to!!

No extra place money, allegedly would have meant Bennis nest egg would have had to have been scrambled and disappeared into the bowels of the players.

Leaving our transfer budget, if reports are to be believed at circa £1m. Yeh! :(

In that case, why was Sam deep into negotiations for a player valued at €5m almost a month before the season ended when I think we were in 13th place, and also reported to be looking at a player now subject of a circa £7m bid.

JW, must be pulling his hair out at all the money being flushed down the toilet in search of players we cannot afford.

As others have said it does just not stack up.

I also agree we would not advertise what are true budget is.

Wait and see, I guess, the end of the window is the time to access/speculate were the money has gone.

We only brought in Basturk, there is no way he was on anywhere near what McCarthy was earning.

As I said we haven't been paying out the McCarthy wage money but we'll presumably have to have money set aside to pay whatever striker we do bring in and I assume that's what the McCarthy wage savings are set aside for. I could be wrong. I just think it's naive to think that because the club has some cash it's all transfer budget. It's not. A few years ago in schools language labs were all the rage and every school had one installed. However, nobody thought about the fact that kids are destructive little creatures and will break tape recorders, and particularly headsets so nobody set any money aside to pay for them to be replaced. After a year or 2 of Heads of Department becoming experts in soldering and rewiring, the whole system broke down for want of cash for necessary repairs. Our club will be like that if we are not careful with our cash and don't keep any money back to pay for the unexpected and the ongoing costs of running a club.

Iv explained this before & hopefully JW will put it in black & white on thursday to confirm this.....

1. There is a £5m that needed cutting off the wage bill - last season we covered that by the difference in Warnock/ Chimbonda deals
  2. From this season onwards - that £5m will be covered by the extra TV money....however that doesnt mean the board wont want it cutting furter.
  3. Money in the pot - is basically the Benni money
  4. Salgado - Wasnt budgetted for & the board/ JW backed Sam on that choice - effectively it worked as we finished 10th
  5. Players receive bonus payments based on several things - such as top 10 finishes
  6. The extra TV/ placing money earned last season therefore went on Salgado's wages + Bonus payments
  7. As all the above now makes us a trading club - its then a case of wheel & deal for sam - he has the benni money + anything he raises if he sits fit...and he also is safe in the knowledge that he wont be forced to sell ANY of his players if HE doesnt want to!!

Just quoted so it isnt missed! :brfc:

As for cutting further - I said it 'may' be the case - not that it is! Perhaps thats what we will hear on thursday...

As for MGP - he really did only get a small wage increase (hopefully the confirmation of all that above will prove my source is accurate)....lets not forget Reid has left our wage bill too!

Numerous sources said basturk was on a pay as you play deal.. so given his appearances in a rovers shirt I doubt this is an issue.

veevs

Archived