BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ronnie Clayton

Manc Rover

I see Ronnie's son, Russ, every day and can assure you that the family were happy with the applause. One of ronnie's best friends in football was Bobby Charlton whom you can be certain will be there on Tuesday. I for one am honoured that I have a collection of ronnie's photos on my wall at the royal oak which ronnie wanted people to see as opposed to keeping. I never met Ronnie, but his son Russ, is one of the kindest friendliest friends I have ever had.

Daft decision if I can say that about a manager who won the World Cup. Alf may not have known it at the time but Keith Newton was equally good at either left or right back. A utility man like that is very valuable cover for any squad as it would allow managers to name another type of attacking player. Must bear in mind here that subs were only allowed if players were injured and were not allowed for tactical reasons.

I agree, one of the few players I've seen who could play either full back position equally well. Keith could also do a job in a defensive midfield role or at centre half in a pinch. Trouble was although substitutes were allowed in League Football at that time I'm sure they weren't allowed during the 1966 World Cup. I used to try and model myself on Keith's style of play, obviously I was nowhere near as good but I could play on either side of the pitch no problem. One footed players really annoy me , It's the one element of the game that any player can improve on with dedication and practice.

I see Ronnie's son, Russ, every day and can assure you that the family were happy with the applause. .

Russell occasionally used to come and join in our footy matches. Good lad but never seemed to have the football passion like his dad.

Can't imagine what it was like with nearly 62,000 on v Bolton in 1929!

Go to remember that the cantilever stand at the Blackburn End reduced the capacity compared with the original open Blackburn End.

Just seen 92er's post- yes the roof went up after the 1960 Final; I remember watching it being built- it was the first cantilever structure in British football.

Very fitting that the funeral will be in the Cathedral.

Edited by philipl

You might want to check what you wrote about the Blackburn End stand.

The roof went on the stand after the 1960 cup run, from what I remember.

When I said 'I was there' that was the City game with apparently 42000 on in 67. I was responding to Jim's comments about Whittle Blues piccy of the Lpool match in 58 and the match in 1929 and wondering how so many could get into Ewood. I gave a bigger Blackburn End 'mound' before the stand was built as a possibility.

Does that make more sense?

Alerted by a friend who listened to the original broadcast, I've just been listening to the repeat of the BBC Radio 4 programme The Last Word. It's their weekly obituary programme; and last Thursday's featured a tribute to Ronnie in which, in addition to playing some old clips of Ronnie speaking about parts of his career [including the story about Tom Finney which was in the LT article], the presenter [Matthew Bannister] also interviewed "Duggie". It doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know; but was good to listen to.

Btw, it begins with a clip of the minute's clapping from the Chelsea game, which seemed to impress Matthew Bannister as a way of paying tribute.

If anyone else wants to listen, the programme can be caught for a few days more via the BBC website and going to their iPlayer "Listen Again" page.

Edited by m1st

Alerted by a friend who listened to the original broadcast, I've just been listening to the repeat of the BBC Radio 4 programme The Last Word. It's their weekly obituary programme; and last Thursday's featured a tribute to Ronnie in which, in addition to playing some old clips of Ronnie speaking about parts of his career [including the story about Tom Finney which was in the LT article], the presenter [Matthew Bannister] also interviewed "Duggie". It doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know; but was good to listen to.

Btw, it begins with a clip of the minute's clapping from the Chelsea game, which seemed to impress Matthew Bannister as a way of paying tribute.

If anyone else wants to listen, the programme can be caught for a few days more via the BBC website and going to their iPlayer "Listen Again" page.

Thanks for that M1st, it was excellent. ( on at about 25 minutes into the programme). Although I was too young to see Ronnie in his pomp, my first game at Ewood was his testimonial when Rovers beat England 10 6! ( 1970?). I met him on numerous occasions since then and it would be difficult to find a finer gentleman. I spoke with Douggie on Saturday ( another complete gentleman). It is going to be strange not see that famous double act,together, around Ewood in the future.

RIP Ronnie.

Edited by Wiggy

When I said 'I was there' that was the City game with apparently 42000 on in 67. I was responding to Jim's comments about Whittle Blues piccy of the Lpool match in 58 and the match in 1929 and wondering how so many could get into Ewood. I gave a bigger Blackburn End 'mound' before the stand was built as a possibility.

Does that make more sense?

Both you-and hence my previous posting-and Philip refer to it as the Blackburn Stand, whereas I always think of it as the Blackburn end.

I thought a Stand had seats?

As in Nuttall Street Stand etc.

Thanks for that M1st, it was excellent. ( on at about 25 minutes into the programme). Although I was too young to see Ronnie in his pomp, my first game at Ewood was his testimonial when Rovers beat England 10 6! ( 1970?). I met him on numerous occasions since then and it would be difficult to find a finer gentleman. I spoke with Douggie on Saturday ( another complete gentleman). It is going to be strange not see that famous double act,together, around Ewood in the future.

RIP Ronnie.

The link is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vkyzc/Last_Word_05_11_2010/

It really was a special occassion-I arrived at 1:15 and was just able to get one of the extra seats already put out.

More people arrived after, with a large influx after the coffin was brought in; all these people were encouraged to go to the front of the Cathedral. I couldn't see how full it was but I speculate that the Cathedral was full.

Ronnie's grand-daughter did extremely well with her tribute until the very end, when her voice quavered.

I'm sure that each member of the congregation had their own private memory of the great man.

And although very humble, that is what he was.

Of the current squad, the players I saw emerge-I was able to leave by a side door and as a result had a good view-were Nelsen, Samba, Dunn, Jones, I think Emerton and Andrews.

Dave Whelan left the Cathedral in tears.

Towards the end of the service a stretcher arrived with some paramedics and a member of the congregation was taken away.

I hope he was OK.

Mention of what happened on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/sambrydges

Also there is some audio on there with Dave Whelan.

Just been watching the video and reading the article on the LT website. Sounds like it was a fitting tribute and that he had a good send off.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

I remember the 'City game, it was a bit scary. I was in the Blackburn end and I could see a small space at the far end of the Riverside terrace near the Darwen end. Why did nobody ever stand there ? Was it windy as it looked out there ?

Yes. The high terraced area between the Riverside and the Darwen End usually had very few people on it. (A bit like the Darwen End side of the Jack Walker Stand now). That is why I decided to go there for the FA Cup 6th round replay against Burnley in 1960. I left it too late to get into the ground and saw very little of the match because I just couldn't push my way into the sardine tin at that point. There were 52,000 on.

With regards to the 1929 crowd of just less than 62,000 I should imagine that a few hundred (or thousand) people never saw much of the game. Don't forget that all the steps or terracing from top to bottom at the Blackburn End facing the pitch had an almost equal number of steps down away from the pitch facing what's now the club shop and Jack's statue (can't remember the name of the street).

Come to think of it, those steps were probably only at each side and not all the way round the back.

After a few days away from Internet access I have just caught up with all the features on Ronnie Clayton's funeral and all the tributes. The one thing that struck me was the celebration of our heroes is part of what makes us a great Football club and Institution.The Rovers really matter in an age of quick obsolescence and rapid change.

I am sure the new family of Venky's soon to be involved in the club have caught the mood and the general vibes.

The Club of Southworth,Crompton,Healless,Clayton,Douglas,Fazackerley,Garner and Hendry is the sum of all the memories and it survives everyone and everything.

• Like 2

:rover: after living in blackburn and the surrounding areas for nearly 50 yrs tuesday was my first visit to blackburn cathedral.always wanted to go and this was a special occasion,we waited for the coffin to enter the cathedral before finding a seat.we were seated in the overflow on the wings of the cathedral,not the best seats,you could not see the speakers or most of the people present,but i was part of ronnies final appearence.on the 3rd hymn the guy in front of us started to sway and fro.luckily we managed to get him to the floor before he hurt himself,and more medically minded people took over from us,it was the poor guy who suffered a fit/stroke.from then on the service was a blur,i was in a bit of a state really,hopefully the guy will be ok.

all in all ronnie got a fantastic send off,from the people of blackburn RIP :brfc:

• Like 2

The Club of Southworth,Crompton,Healless,Clayton,Douglas,Fazackerley,Garner and Hendry is the sum of all the memories and it survives everyone and everything.

Well said, that man.

What a wonderful sentence that is to one who was brought up on tales of his Dad having watched the likes of Harry Healless & Syd Puddefoot and who has seen all the later names on that list.

Yes, it was a wonderful send off for the great man, and our beautiful cathedral was the right choice for the service.

I only wish EVERY footballer could hear and digest what was said about Ronnie, he was truly a very special man, to his family, his friends, his club and his fans. RIP xx

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To anyone involved in the fans forum with the club,has a Ronnie Clayton memorial been mooted or possibly renaming one of the stands in his honour?

God knows the great man deserves it but sadly seems to have gone quiet on this one.

We asked the club at the meeting in December but that was just after the takeover and as you will know things have been a bit hectic within the club since then. We reminded them last night and they promised that they will get to looking at some appropriate memorial. No idea as yet what this would look like.