BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best / Worst Loan Signings ever

Herbie6590

Read this on the way home & it got me thinking in respect of Rovers....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2010/nov/26/worst-and-best-loan-signings

...particularly liked the mention of Killer Keeley in the article !!

Starter for Ten

Best..?

Oldies...

Terry Alcock - one for the oldies - a stalwart from Blackpool - only played a handful of games but he made an impression on me as a kid & I always remember him fondly for some reason...

Keith Fear - played in THAT 3-2 win at Turf Moor....I seem to recall that he missed a penalty that would have made it far less nailbiting...

Mark Grew - it's darkest before the dawn & these were dark days but he proved to be an inspirational keeper despite being (by modern standards) quite small & slight in stature..

Recent..

David Bentley - steadily matured into an inspirational midfielder...then his ego took over....I'd have him back tomorrow..though not all would agree...

Worst..?

Dario Marcolin - desperate signing in a dark period in our history

Danny Simpson - now at Newcastle....amazed he's still in the Premier League to be honest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bentley's the best for me. Yordi among the worst.

Yordi wasn't that bad, remember him scoring a good header against Fulham I think it was, in fact he'd be suited to our style now.

Gresko was good on loan but it went a bit tits up after that.

Mark Grew - it's darkest before the dawn & these were dark days but he proved to be an inspirational keeper despite being (by modern standards) quite small & slight in stature..

Great keeper, good shout.

Few more poor loan signings:

Markus Babbel

Eyal Berkovic- Talented player, never really shone during his loan period.

Jay Bothroyd- Poor for Rovers but seems to have made a reasonable career for himself (found his level in the Championship). Had a recent England call up.

Bruno Berner

Decent:

Givet- Had a decent period on loan at Rovers made an impact which resulted in a permanent signing.

• Backroom

Few more poor loan signings:

Markus Babbel

Eyal Berkovic- Talented player, never really shone during his loan period.

Jay Bothroyd- Poor for Rovers but seems to have made a reasonable career for himself (found his level in the Championship). Had a recent England call up.

Bruno Berner

Decent:

Givet- Had a decent period on loan at Rovers made an impact which resulted in a permanent signing.

Really? I was gutted when we signed some old Turkish bloke instead of him

Really? I was gutted when we signed some old Turkish bloke instead of him

Berkovic played well for us. An important element of the promotion side.

I remember thinking that this Turkish bloke (who I had some serious doubts about - he couldn't get a run out in scottish footy!) had some big shoes to fill. As it happens, it turned out alright and he wasn't a bad un.

Ardiles and Archibald were class acts, although past there prime. They played some pretty good stuff.

People have mentioned Bentley...but he was fairly average on loan. As soon as we signed him he almost completely transformed!

Berkovic was quality. Sometimes a luxury player, but other times crucial. Villanueva...well, I didn't see all of his games, but when I saw him I was always staggered he couldn't get a proper run in the team.

Jason Beckford. He was Darren Beckford's younger brother. At the time the elder was banging them in. I think for Port Vale. We got him from City. He had massive thighs but was not very good.

Andy Marriott was good. Was he from Forest? He was another who we couldn't afford but did a great job.

Archived