BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holidays

• Backroom

Yep a true love it or hate it place; I'm firmly in the love it camp, even enjoy the planning beforehand.

We are staying at Port Orleans this time and will use disney transport apart from hiring a car for a few days to do things off site.

I totally get how people hate it but it's a special place for me.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tom said:

As a kid, I was very lucky to go to Disney World twice. The memories are still vaguely there, and are amazing. I'm sure my parents would have much preferred going camping in France or somewhere, but Disney World is, first and foremost, for the kids.

Mind you, it sounds like you go because you're the big kid! ^_^

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's a military operation to plan beforehand so you can get on rides,

I think that's the part my wife enjoys the most. As adults, we did 10 Florida parks in 14 days and didn't miss anything notable (that was open) and didn't queue much at all. However it WAS done with military precision, we had ride orders planned to make best use of fast-passes, made a lot of use of single rider queues, we were at parks at rope drop (the first couple of hours in a park are normally queue-free) until the fireworks and rarely ate in there. We even did EPCOT in a day, which more guide tells you isn't possible 

However, that was as adults, it'd be insane to try it with kids. I did DLP with a 3yr old last year (I went to do the Half Marathon there, in fact I blogged about it here*) and it was a much more leisurely affair.

*Warning - Contains bloody nipples, a bad goatee and pictures of a fat lad with his shirt off (me).

• Backroom
On 16/04/2017 at 9:00 PM, Tom said:

Not ideal but with a 6 year old as well it will be brilliant when we get there!

Might tell the wife I've upgraded her seat - but she has to take the baby! :P

Threaten to beat her up if she doesn't move #Satire #UnitedAirlines #TryingToBeFunny

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Glenn said:

I think that's the part my wife enjoys the most. As adults, we did 10 Florida parks in 14 days and didn't miss anything notable (that was open) and didn't queue much at all. However it WAS done with military precision, we had ride orders planned to make best use of fast-passes, made a lot of use of single rider queues, we were at parks at rope drop (the first couple of hours in a park are normally queue-free) until the fireworks and rarely ate in there. We even did EPCOT in a day, which more guide tells you isn't possible 

However, that was as adults, it'd be insane to try it with kids. I did DLP with a 3yr old last year (I went to do the Half Marathon there, in fact I blogged about it here*) and it was a much more leisurely affair.

*Warning - Contains bloody nipples, a bad goatee and pictures of a fat lad with his shirt off (me).

That blog made me determined to do a Disney marathon or half marathon, the next day I went running in my lunch break, remembered I couldn't run anymore and gave up.

You owe me a lunch break

On 17/04/2017 at 3:07 PM, Tom said:

Yep a true love it or hate it place; I'm firmly in the love it camp, even enjoy the planning beforehand.

We are staying at Port Orleans this time and will use disney transport apart from hiring a car for a few days to do things off site.

We stayed at Port Orleans for a week on our honeymoon in 2015 (Hard Rock Hotel for a week too), I think it's ideal as it's in such a great location being so close to Disney Springs and Epcot. I don't know if you've stayed there before but I would recommend going over to French Quarter to try the beignets. Bon appetit!

I am glad this topic resurfaced.

Got trips to New York in June and then a fortnight in Sardinia in September.

Talking of Disneyland, we are in the early stages of planning a holiday for later next year as retirement looms for the both of us. Can anyone suggest the best websites for accommodation ? We are looking at renting a house/villa for 10 nights and then finishing off back in New York or Philly before coming back to the UK.

Our first task for the Summer is to get our narrowboat down to London so that I can deliver my daughter-in-law to her wedding celebration in Limehouse by boat. This is proving rather more difficult than planned and will require putting it on the back of a lorry next week (don't ask!).

After that I've just booked flights to Boston in August to use up an air miles voucher about to expire.

• Moderation Lead

I've got a mate's wedding in Rhodes next month, I've been to Prague for one stag do, got one this weekend in Newcastle, then one in November in Hamburg.

I was planning to factor in a trip to Ibiza as well, but with 2, possibly 3 (music) festivals as well it was too much of a stretch for this year when I'm trying to save for a mortgage......

On 19/04/2017 at 9:23 AM, 1864roverite said:

Talking of Disneyland, we are in the early stages of planning a holiday for later next year as retirement looms for the both of us. Can anyone suggest the best websites for accommodation ? We are looking at renting a house/villa for 10 nights and then finishing off back in New York or Philly before coming back to the UK.

You will love NYC.  Try going off Manhattan to Queens and Brooklyn.

We went to Chicago for a week last year, it was brilliant.

On 19/04/2017 at 9:23 AM, 1864roverite said:

We use Airbnb for probably 80% of our accommodation, especially if we are staying for three nights or more.

It's necessary to research early and thoroughly but no more than when checking out hotels or B&Bs. My advice if Airbnb is new for you is to be very thorough in your research the first couple of times after which you should develop a sense of the good and the bad.

Don't expect Airbnb to be cheap but do expect it to be good value relative to local hotels.

11 hours ago, Paul said:

We use Airbnb for probably 80% of our accommodation, especially if we are staying for three nights or more.

It's necessary to research early and thoroughly but no more than when checking out hotels or B&Bs. My advice if Airbnb is new for you is to be very thorough in your research the first couple of times after which you should develop a sense of the good and the bad.

Don't expect Airbnb to be cheap but do expect it to be good value relative to local hotels.

I use AirBnb for everything now. Off to London on Saturday. Staying with a random 50 year old woman on her spare bed. Couldn't give a flying @#/? what the room is like, its in the middle of Camden Town, with a car parking spot, for £60 a night. Get in.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Going to Rhodes a week today for a wedding......(Tagging a holiday onto it, my first beach holiday in 4 years).

I was in Rhodes the day the twin towers fell (managed to get out just before all the flights stopped). Being on a plane with Falaraki's finest that day was quite an experience! 

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I was in Rhodes the day the twin towers fell (managed to get out just before all the flights stopped). Being on a plane with Falaraki's finest that day was quite an experience! 

Ahhh, bloody hell!

My first time in Rhodes, the only other time I've been to Greece was when I went to Kavos, which judging by pictures I've seen of the resort I'm staying in is a world away from there, haha.

Jesus Christ, Kavos......  that brings back some memories.

On a more sensible note, off to Canada in Aug for 3rd year in a row.  Heading to Toronto first for 7 days then fly up to Calgary and head straight up into the Rockies and little place called Canmore for hiking, biking, rafting malarkeys.

Cairo on business next week but definitely no sightseeing going to be involved as its a shithole.  Head down in office or the hotel until I can get the hell back out of there!

A week and a half to my second DLP trip (or 'MickeyLand' as my 4yr old insists on calling it).

We've actually paid for some of the character meals and shows this time round, horribly expensive for what they are, but they'll be an experience for him (the character breakfast we did last time was the highlight of his trip).

Archived