BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holidays

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from a month in Brittany. Never fails to give us the resta nd relaxation we need after a stressful time at work and the weather was great this year - warm but not too hot to get out and do things. Wondering now where to go for a few days in October. My husband is doing one of those flying without fear courses in October as he's a real phobic when it comes to planes so I want to take him some place not too far so he doesn't get out of the way of flying before we go to Munich for christmas.

leeds airport ...are there any hotels? or retraunts ?

Abbs, given I live a few miles away perhaps I should know more, but can't say I've ever needed a hotel............. anyway, suppose it depends on what you're after. There's a Travelodge and Premier Inn near the airport but no 'proper' hotels unless you stay 2 or 3 miles away. Restaurants - can't think of any posh places close by, but same as the hotels if you're OK to go 2 or 3 miles away there's the usual choice of Indians, Chinese, Italian.

• Backroom

Just spent four nights at Disneyland Paris

I've been about seven years back and done Florida a couple of times since so didn't expect much in comparison but it was fantastic. It was our boys first holiday and he loved it.

Tired and poorer now though!

I've been about seven years back and done Florida a couple of times since so didn't expect much in comparison but it was fantastic. It was our boys first holiday and he loved it.

Have they updated the Mickey Mouse club t-shirts with a Rovers badge on it yet? :)

• Backroom

Have they updated the Mickey Mouse club t-shirts with a Rovers badge on it yet? :)

I don't think wearing mine for the Pune trip photo is something I'm living down anytime soon!

I swear it wasn't intentional :P

We went to Disneyland Paris in June, it was the first time we had been there and we really enjoyed it and also went into Paris for a day as well, was also poorer when I came home as well, next up for me is Las Vegas in 3 weeks.

Has anybody ever used these pre payment cards when going on holiday, are they any good and is there any difference from just using your debit card.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Skiathos in a couple of weeks, never been before looking forward to it.

Just got back from Skiathos, beautiful island, lovely people, Euro crisis? what euro crisis!

Off to Vegas first week in November on a 40th, been many times, never fails to deliver.

hope my overtime stays ...just booked a cruise and stay .Never done it before so fingers crossed.

Just come back from 10 days on the Queen Mary 2 - First cruise I've done and absolutely loved it - Weather was excelent which probably helped and there were far more things to do, on board, that I had the time for so missed out on a lot of stuff. Booze was the main expense and as everything is priced in dollars it looked dear, but worked out around London prices GBP 3.60 for a pint of Stella GBP 5 for a cocktail etc. Food was fantastic and the fact you could eat from 04:00 when breakfast opened to 04:00 when the late supper buffet closed was brilliant - I narrowly failed in eating my own bodyweight in food every day :)

Have just booked a flight to Tours in October. My husband hasn't flown anywhere in 23 years and is, next weekend going on a Flying without fear course in order to try to conquer his total panic even if he has to go to an airport, let alone get on a plane. We want to be able to go to South Korea in the next year or so so this is the first step on the way. Wish us luck!

Just come back from 10 days on the Queen Mary 2 - First cruise I've done and absolutely loved it - Weather was excelent which probably helped and there were far more things to do, on board, that I had the time for so missed out on a lot of stuff. Booze was the main expense and as everything is priced in dollars it looked dear, but worked out around London prices GBP 3.60 for a pint of Stella GBP 5 for a cocktail etc. Food was fantastic and the fact you could eat from 04:00 when breakfast opened to 04:00 when the late supper buffet closed was brilliant - I narrowly failed in eating my own bodyweight in food every day :)

we got a free booze upgrade ha

My wife and I are going to Jamaica (Runaway Bay) in early December for two weeks. We are both reasonably fit pensioners and we have never been there before.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to things to do and places to visit that would suit us?

• 10 months later...

Just looked up this thread and saw that I'd said our aim was to get my husband on a plane to South Korea this summer. Well. We made it! My husband still wasn't comfortable with it but being with our son on his wedding day gave him the motivation. South Korea was fascinating. Not geared up for foreign tourists but some great places to visit, and the food, despite my anxiety about it as I'm a fussy eater, was very good - weird combinations and they don't seem to distinguish between courses - but the barbecues were great fun and I ate some things I'd never have expected to. All on all, a great holiday.

I've just had 2 1/2 weeks in Sri Lanka.

Not on a beach, but touring the country, seeing the things that make the place.

Had a fantastic time, from Kandy to Anuradhapura, to Polonnaruva, to Passikuda, to Nuwara Eliya, Yala, Galle and Colombo.

The Kandy Asala Perahara is something to be seen live, though I'm not sure that I could do it again.

Wonderful place, beautiful happy people now the war is over.

Ate the local food from start to finish, enjoyed every little bit of it.

Mind you the driving is insane, you just have to trust your driver.......

Funny, that, Gumboots.

We never saw an accident and only saw one reported in the local press, but the driving was totally insane.

No regards for the lane markings, no regard to the oncoming traffic until you had to get out of the way.

If there was a two lane road (ie one lane each way) there would be at least three lanes of traffic.

It generally worked on a "size" basis. The bigger your vehicle was meant that you had the right of way.

One thing I didn't mention was the use of the horn, constant and (according to some) informative to those drivers around.

Like I said, just trust your driver.

I'm off on my holidays on Thursday. Firstly I'm headed to Amsterdam for a couple of nights to see some friends. I love Amsterdam, this will be my 5th visit there I think. Everyone knows what it is famous for, but I can honestly say that I have never experienced any of that. It's just a stunningly beautiful city, the people are nice and it's just a pleasant place to be in. I plan on taking a day trip to Rotterdam as well, which is a cool city. Then on Monday I'm flying to Copenhagen for a few days, which is a city I've never been too. My mum has been there a few times with work and says its a fantastic city and the two full days I'm there will be more than enough to see it. I'm then headed on to Stockholm for a couple of nights, which I'm really excited about. I've been wanting to go to Scandanavia for years, especially Stockholm. I've heard nothing but good things about the city, apart from the price of things.

In October I'm going to Germany for a week. My friend has invited me over for the end of Oktoberfest. I've been to Munich before and it's an incredible city. I was there in the depths of winter, so it will be nice to see it just before the cold sets in. Even though I'm not a beer drinker, I'm looking forward to seeing this famous festival. We plan on going to Austria and Salzburg for the day, to go hiking in the Alps, which will be amazing! After a few days in Munich, I'm taking a train to Berlin for a couple of nights, which is another city I've never been to. Again, I've only heard good reports about Berlin and I can't wait to see it for myself. If time allows it, I may take a day train trip to the Polish port city of Szczecin, which is supposed to be lovely.

For a couple of years, the only place I went on holiday was the U.S. But I slowly came to realise that during my holidays in the U.S, that people would ask me had a been to this place or that city in Europe and I hadn't. I saw how lucky I was to have all these places right on my door step and now I want to take advantage of it. Me and my family are talking about taking my dad away next year for his 60th birthday and are looking at places like Lisbon, Seville or Rome. Croatia is another place high on my list to go to.

Traveling can become infectious and the more you see and do, the more new places you want to go and experience.

Berlin is a fantastic city. Having never been before this year I've been twice in 6 months. I'd recommend one of the cycle tours to get a handle on the city. Because of the wall, the "centre" is spread out on either side of the Tiergarten and is difficult to see quickly on a walking tour. I used Fat Tire for the tour. You don't need any cycling experience (other than actually being able to ride!) and it's very leisurely paced. I'd also book for a tour of the Reichstag, the home of the German Parliament. There is a wonderful glass cupola which you can climb up on a ramp inside whilst having a running commentary on the sights. You need to book in advance online and it gets booked up a few days in advance. It's free.

As a 60 year old dad, I went to Berlin for my birthday in January. I'd also highly recommend Lisbon - beautiful city with just the right balance between sights to see and just hanging out in the bars and restaurants, and, in European terms, it's cheap.

I'm off on my main holiday in two weeks to the Pacific North West. Flying to Vancouver for 3 days, then train to Seattle for 3 days. Then a week's car hire from seattle, dropping off in Portland for another 3 night stay. Then the train to Chicago (2 nights) and staying with my niece and family for 3 nights before home.

Archived