BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Great to see, my club, East Lancs joint top of the Lancashire League after three games!

Yes it is Rog.  As an ex-Enfield player we always used to call Alexandra Meadows , Headquarters !  East Lancs have had a poor 10 years but let's hope they're coming out of it. I played around the time when " Mad Dog " Ian Callan ( he was quick !) and Allan Border were professionals .

7 minutes ago, onlyonetugay said:

Yes it is Rog.  As an ex-Enfield player we always used to call Alexandra Meadows , Headquarters !  East Lancs have had a poor 10 years but let's hope they're coming out of it. I played around the time when " Mad Dog " Ian Callan ( he was quick !) and Allan Border were professionals .

I watched Ian Callan play for Ramsbottom circa 1982. Michael Holding, batting No 5, carted him all over the place. 

Now Holding was quick! 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I watched Ian Callan play for Ramsbottom circa 1982. Michael Holding, batting No 5, carted him all over the place. 

Now Holding was quick! 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Now Holding was quick! 

Played against Holding at Rishton  and Enfield   , but  Blackburn Road and Dill Hall Lane  were  puddings in comparison ,  so didn't seem as quick as Callan .  Alexandra Meadows was a much quicker track. 

17 hours ago, onlyonetugay said:

As with a lot of clubs, players leaving the area and distractions from university, work, families etc really seems to have hit the club hard.

I think its reputation works both for and against the club.

A long way to go, still fancy Todmorden to win the League, but nice to get off to a good start!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what Lancashire's plan has been here. Yes losing jimmy was unfortunate but even before a ball had been bowled playing 2 spinners suggested we prepared a pitch that would be turning sideways (arguably our spinners not capable of that anyway) and seamers would play 2nd fiddle anyway. Not a hint of it. So 1 injury, 2 passengers and part timers in the bowling attack results in 425/8 and counting.

We can't afford a Lancashire classic today losing 6 wickets early. Losing to a decimated Yorkshire, effectively within three days, would be hard to play down. Rain helped us yesterday mind you. Longer this goes on more chance of losing 

Edited by matt83

Perhaps predictably Lancs found themselves 39/3. Worth remembering also that this is yorkshire's second choice bowling attack. They're missing plunkett, Deirdre and Willey. Sidebottam and brooks haven't played this summer before this game.

After a great season for lancs last season Hameed is starting to worry me. Averages 14 this season in county championship with last 4 innings of 0 7 0 0. He's miles off where he needs to be if has England aspirations this summer. 

After his series in India I thought he was nailed on to open with Cook but currently with my England hat on I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole for the saffas and windies series. Even with my Lancs hat on I'd be tempted to stick him in the 2nd xi to get his confidence up and time at the crease. Problem is he's the only orthodox opener at the club. 

• 2 weeks later...

Australia and South Africa now both at risk of an early exit.

India v Sri Lanka today should be a good one but I take India to win.

Should England stick with Roy? I am getting tired of losing a wicket early but probably would. If we bat well throughout the order we can beat anyone. Root is superb.

England bowlers v NZ were spot on.

The Edgbaston and Cardiff attendances on tv look disappointing.

Glad to get my prediction wrong and well done Sri Lanka.

If they can continue batting through the order and not run themselves out they are a threat to anyone.

Very impressed with Gunathilaka and always by  Matthews.

The contest is getting better but must say suprised with so many empty seats.

I realised I like cricket more than football.

I chose to watch England demolish the Aussies instead of the Scotland v England first half. Only turned over when the rain came with England practically over the line.

Edited by Husky

Shame so many rain affected games are stopping the competition / fans from exciting finishes.

The rain break early in the England innings made a massive difference.

Needs to be a better method than Aussie eliminated after 3 no results (I know the last was likely to be a loss)

13 hours ago, Husky said:

I realised I like cricket more than football.

I chose to watch England demolish the Aussies instead of the Scotland v England first half. Only turned over when the rain came with England practically over the line.

I watched both, had 2 screens on but put audio commentary on the Cricket and I did follow that more closely.

I could sit and watch cricket all day but the passion for footy has decreased.

Over paid and pampered players, too much football on tv, too much playacting/ cheating, too much blatant corruption have all taken their toll.

With Cricket I can enjoy great performances by all players.

It's exciting yet oddly soothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I watched both, had 2 screens on but put audio commentary on the Cricket and I did follow that more closely.

I could sit and watch cricket all day but the passion for footy has decreased.

Over paid and pampered players, too much football on tv, too much playacting/ cheating, too much blatant corruption have all taken their toll.

With Cricket I can enjoy great performances by all players.

It's exciting yet oddly soothing.

I agree. Biggest mistake the  English Cricket Authorities made was selling out to Sky. The country went absolutely cricket daft in the Summer of 2005. I've never seen as many kids playing cricket on the common facing my house and now you never see any. They  just threw it all away for the Murdoch shilling

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. Biggest mistake the  English Cricket Authorities made was selling out to Sky. The country went absolutely cricket daft in the Summer of 2005. I've never seen as many kids playing cricket on the common facing my house and now you never see any. They  just threw it all away for the Murdoch shilling

Agreed, plus the matchplay pricing for international matches is astronomical (£81 a day for standard seats in Ashes), so they are selling out most lower income fans from attending too.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But think about how much coverage of cricket Sky has and the quality.

A lot of people have Sky or BT or Virgin these days. But kids these days are more interested in playing computers or on phones than playing sports. a lot of kids aren't interested in Sport.

I'm paying nearly 1800 pounds per year to sky and I don't regret a penny of it due to excellent sport coverage whichever you like, loads of movies whether its kids or action or Comedy you like and some great TV shows. all of the family watch it so we have plenty of choice.  

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But think about how much coverage of cricket Sky has and the quality.

A lot of people have Sky or BT or Virgin these days. But kids these days are more interested in playing computers or on phones than playing sports. a lot of kids aren't interested in Sport.

I'm paying nearly 1800 pounds per year to sky and I don't regret a penny of it due to excellent sport coverage whichever you like, loads of movies whether its kids or action or Comedy you like and some great TV shows. all of the family watch it so we have plenty of choice.  

How many people have Sky Chaddy ? I haven't. My wife won't have it for political reasons regarding Murdoch. I won't  have it because I waste enough time in front of screens as it is.

When Channel 4 had the Ashes series on in 2005 the whole nation was drawn in. Nearly every TV screen you saw as you were walking down the street was tuned to the cricket. I've never known anything like it. People who in April had never watched a game of cricket became fanatics in a few months. It was on everybody's lips at work. Radios were secretly tuned under desks.

Maybe it's before your time ?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You're on £25k a year (according to you) yet have enough spare cash to waste £1,800 on Sky? 

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many people have Sky Chaddy ? I haven't. My wife won't have it for political reasons regarding Murdoch. I won't  have it because I waste enough time in front of screens as it is.

When Channel 4 had the Ashes series on in 2005 the whole nation was drawn in. Nearly every TV screen you saw as you were walking down the street was tuned to the cricket. I've never known anything like it. People who in April had never watched a game of cricket became fanatics in a few months. It was on everybody's lips at work. Radios were secretly tuned under desks.

Maybe it's before your time ?

No it wasnt..

Watched every ball of the Ashes 2005 actually..plus attending 3 full days Cricket. You cant take those memories away. Great days with friends and families

43 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You're on £25k a year (according to you) yet have enough spare cash to waste £1,800 on Sky? 

Waste? Shut up Jim. You are talking out of backside. 

In our house having Sky is a must. Sport, Tv shows, movies and kids shows. 

Why? Should my money go to the government instead? Nope. I earn it, my right to spend it. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Waste? Shut up Jim. You are talking out of backside. 

In our house having Sky is a must. Sport, Tv shows, movies and kids shows. 

Why? Should my money go to the government instead? Nope. I earn it, my right to spend it. 

Waste of money in my book. £1,800 is a big chunk from your family finances and would be better spent on education, kids activities such as actually playing sport, and travel, which broadens the mind. Anything's better than lounging around watching TV and lining Rupert Murdoch's pockets.