BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Day Out. Hillsborough

Jock

I can remember us taking a massive support away to Stoke in the Don Mackay era. It seemed to surprise the lovely people of Stoke that day.

Me too but a bet those that took a dip in the canal to escape en route back to the 'Ewood Express' at the train station didn't enjoy it too much!

I can remember us taking a massive support away to Stoke in the Don Mackay era. It seemed to surprise the lovely people of Stoke that day.

We suprised a few places in the 2nd half of that season, Boro, Hudds, Leeds, Barnsley, Stoke, Oldham 4k to 5k+ was the norm. Brilliant times, not just the numbers but the passion and vocal support. Don Mackay & co really re-ignited the club then after it being on it's arse for most of the 80's. Just shows what a bit of belief can do.

I remember seeing some Oldham fans on TV in the 80's. They were asked who they disliked the most. They all said they hated us.

Went to every game at Oldham from 87 onwards and saw it kick off a few times. Seemed they were our nearest rivals in the 80's whilst Bumley, Bowton and the Knobbers scuffled about with each other in the lower divisions.

Didn't go Hillsborough in the 80's think 92 was first visit but i remember being in awe at the place you could almost smell the history. Still one of my favourite grounds.

Went to: http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-blackburn-rovers-20-march-1994-21603/

Probably the first away game I can really remember going to, I would have been 9. Vividly remember a big Rovers following chanting 'Are you watching Manchester' for ages after the final whistle. Newell was just back from a long injury and he looked really gaunt and ill.

I was car sick coming home over snake pass.

Found the highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IholcJcRxk

Went to: http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-blackburn-rovers-20-march-1994-21603/

Probably the first away game I can really remember going to, I would have been 9. Vividly remember a big Rovers following chanting 'Are you watching Manchester' for ages after the final whistle. Newell was just back from a long injury and he looked really gaunt and ill.

I was car sick coming home over snake pass.

Found the highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IholcJcRxk

Fantastic to watch again - has there ever been anyone better at receiving and holding the ball up than Shearer?

Not even 2mins in and Carlton Palmer has already twice tumbled comically.

Wasn't the chant, "If CP plays for England, so can I", fallow period for CB's, when he played. Ah, but four seasons of Shearer, irrespective of how he went, priceless. He was always going home, but we had the last laugh when he won nowt there!

That experience was unreal im quite tall but was thin as a lat then and from about 2.45 till we got out i swear my feet didn't touch the ground. Everyone just swayed sideways, forwards and backwards the whole time it was amazing no one was hurt. God knows how many were rammed in there but the crowd was 14+ and Stoke only got around 7/8 thousand for bog stanard games back then.

which year was this?

i went to stoke 1989-1990 season, the one which david mail hammered the penalty into the top corner infront of the rovers fans....

after telling the stoke keeper which corner he would put it on

;-)

That was the one I was thinking about. I can remember a little ballboy getting hit with a pie and it sticking to the back of his head. We were along the side of the pitch in a paddock. We took another big following there another year when we were behind the goal. I think one of the matches we might of relegated Stoke. Always seems a place where the locals want to attack you. Not keen on Burslem either.

which year was this?

i went to stoke 1989-1990 season, the one which david mail hammered the penalty into the top corner infront of the rovers fans....

after telling the stoke keeper which corner he would put it on

;-)

That was the season we kept missing pens, half the team had a go and missed then up stepped David Mail. A lot of the 3.5k behind the goal going nooo! lol he wasn't the best footballer but he smashed that away like Shearer. As usual pelted with coins and attacked outside which was all part of day out down there back then. Think that win put us well into the play off zone.

Wasn't the chant, "If CP plays for England, so can I", fallow period for CB's, when he played. Ah, but four seasons of Shearer, irrespective of how he went, priceless. He was always going home, but we had the last laugh when he won nowt there!

I remember it as "If the Nevilles can play for England, so can I" but you pays your money........

Archived