BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rant (4?)

On 16/08/2017 at 10:32, Bluebarley said:

Good idea Paul in theory if we play the Jamie Oliver card where do we stop? Kebab houses, curry houses, is a Friday night meat methi treat going to cost me £20. Weighing scales at the counter makes more sense. I think most people can eat what they want if they offset it with exercise sadly people don't hence obesity. As a general rule.

I very much agree regarding exercise, proper exercise and not an app telling one walking 10,000 steps a day is an achievement. Within reason and with moderation we can all eat as we wish provided we are active.

Where one would draw the line is beyond me but when I look at the junk, literally, food people buy from JFC, MacDonalds, Greggs etc. I'm sure their products need some form of regulation or taxation.

This is not to criticise the individuals, it's an observation on what these fast "food" retailers have done to the nation's health and diet. I was at an M6 services earlier this week; people were literally queuing out the door for Greggs. The following day I was on a train at 11.15am. The overweight, pasty faced young people in front of me were eating huge MacDonalds burger, chicken, milkshakes, chips and muffins. It's no wonder we are storing up a massive obesity problem which will cost the NHS billions. The companies responsible for the food should pay the taxes to foot the bill. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Paul said:

I very much agree regarding exercise, proper exercise and not an app telling one walking 10,000 steps a day is an achievement. Within reason and with moderation we can all eat as we wish provided we are active.

Where one would draw the line is beyond me but when I look at the junk, literally, food people buy from JFC, MacDonalds, Greggs etc. I'm sure their products need some form of regulation or taxation.

This is not to criticise the individuals, it's an observation on what these fast "food" retailers have done to the nation's health and diet. I was at an M6 services earlier this week; people were literally queuing out the door for Greggs. The following day I was on a train at 11.15am. The overweight, pasty faced young people in front of me were eating huge MacDonalds burger, chicken, milkshakes, chips and muffins. It's no wonder we are storing up a massive obesity problem which will cost the NHS billions. The companies responsible for the food should pay the taxes to foot the bill. 

I know I agree, I seriously believe that you can offset food with exercise, the other poster mentioned fat slobs not being able to last at the gym but you don't allow yourself to get into that state in the first place. I can pretty much eat what I want but I can get away with it with mountain biking, walking, occasionally swimming. Yes junk food is a problem to certain people but I believe these problems can be minimised with exercise. There has to be a two pronged pincer movement with some sort of junk food deterrent & encouragement to do exercise, I'm sure the government are working on that but more needs to be done to help the NHS for sure.

8 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

I seriously believe that you can offset food with exercise, the other poster mentioned fat slobs not being able to last at the gym but you don't allow yourself to get into that state in the first place. I can pretty much eat what I want but I can get away with it with mountain biking, walking, occasionally swimming. Yes junk food is a problem to certain people but I believe these problems can be minimised with exercise.

Poor people often find themselves over weight, unhealthy and 'fat slobs' as some posters so eloquently put it.

They eat fast convenient food because its cheap, calorific and easy to access, they'd love a lifetime membership to the nearest gym or £500 for a bike to ride around the country roads on but thats not possible for many.

Yes you can cook a cheap meal for pennies, but you have to have the facilities and the know how, which an ever increasing number simply don't have.

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Poor people often find themselves over weight, unhealthy and 'fat slobs' as some posters so eloquently put it.

They eat fast convenient food because its cheap, calorific and easy to access, they'd love a lifetime membership to the nearest gym or £500 for a bike to ride around the country roads on but thats not possible for many.

Yes you can cook a cheap meal for pennies, but you have to have the facilities and the know how, which an ever increasing number simply don't have.

Don't see any wealth connection to the obesity problem, the money spent on this "fast convenient food" could be perhaps be spent on a cheap nutritional cookbook regarding the know how it's not rocket science. I think we have developed a lazy unhealthy eating culture which this present government cannot be blamed for, it's all down to the individual. The blame game sometimes is on your own doorstep.

7 minutes ago, Bluebarley said:

Don't see any wealth connection to the obesity problem, the money spent on this "fast convenient food" could be perhaps be spent on a cheap nutritional cookbook regarding the know how it's not rocket science. I think we have developed a lazy unhealthy eating culture which this present government cannot be blamed for, it's all down to the individual. The blame game sometimes is on your own doorstep.

You would be wrong then.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/16/poorer-children-obese-decade-ago

"Rising food prices, low wages and cuts to social security benefits mean the poorest children are more likely to be obese than they were a decade ago when TV chef Jamie Oliver launched his healthy school dinners campaign, a report has found. Although the incidence of child obesity has fallen in the UK over the last few years, it is growing in low-income households, for whom healthy food is less accessible."

Just now, den said:

You would be wrong then.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/16/poorer-children-obese-decade-ago

"Rising food prices, low wages and cuts to social security benefits mean the poorest children are more likely to be obese than they were a decade ago when TV chef Jamie Oliver launched his healthy school dinners campaign, a report has found. Although the incidence of child obesity has fallen in the UK over the last few years, it is growing in low-income households, for whom healthy food is less accessible."

All this is linked to the EU immigration policy that people are dependant on welfare there are not enough jobs to support the indigenous people. I'm not going there not on this thread den I'm sorry. We've gone from some fat kids in greggs to the EU policy. I've said enough now my rant is over.

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

All this is linked to the EU immigration policy that people are dependant on welfare there are not enough jobs to support the indigenous people. I'm not going there not on this thread den I'm sorry. We've gone from some fat kids in greggs to the EU policy. I've said enough now my rant is over.

:huh: You've just gone there, but as you have, I might as well tell you that it's just completely unrelated nonsense, I'll be honest.

It's about education and knowing how to cook etc. For example- go into Iceland as they did on one of these programmes focusing on the poorest in society, (the one which featured Shadsworth for example), you can get ready meals for £1. Obviously not healthy, but it's convenient. For a poor family on low-income, it's easier than batch cooking a cottage pie and getting loads of vegetables for example. It's all in the planning, but people go with what's easier.

Disagree there regarding the EU, I don't wish to contribute on this thread regarding any political matter. It's very complex & I don't have the time. Agree regarding the cooking cottage pies ect & planning. If we all agreed on everything life would be boring.

12 hours ago, Bluebarley said:

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Absolute nonsense. I would argue that fast food is much more expensive than cooking yourself and every house must have a hob / oven. Even when the fat slobs go shopping they just ram their trolleys full of ready meals and crisps which again is more expensive.

I agree they may not be able to afford gym membership or an expensive bike, this is because it's all been wasted on crisps sky TV and an iphone. However they could afford a second hand bike off ebay and walking or jogging is completely free.

To summarise being fat is a symptom of idleness not poverty.

• Moderation Lead

Boaty,

There's no one size fits all (excuse the pun) for good health it's related to education and knowledge. It is possible to eat healthily and have a balanced diet relatively cheaply if you shop in the right places, but this is where the lack of knowledge/funds comes in. Everyone is different, no two sets of circumstances are the same.

Some people don't know how to get help or where to even look. This applies to overweight people in full time employment (in good jobs) as well as anyone else. As well, people can be too embarrassed to ask for help. Let's not forget, it's a sensitive subject, particularly for women. Deep down, everyone overweight knows that they're overweight, but they won't have the first clue where to start in correcting it.

It's too easy to be distracted and misled by programmes like 'Benefits Street' re people having iPhones/Sky TV, none of us really know how many people actually have Sky (or what package, as the basic ones are quite cheap in reality).

Being fat is a symptom of both idleness and poverty in some cases. In South Africa in the 1990s, being overweight was often an indicator of wealth, as people could afford to over-eat when fast-food restaurants started appearing en masse. It's all relative....

Definitely idleness in my case.

However I would argue against the "make yourself, fresh is cheaper" comments, certainly with some foods.  For example, I have tried, and cannot buy the individual ingredients for a lasagne cheaper than buying a £1 ready meal.  The mince alone is more expensive, then add on the cost of making red sauce and white sauce plus the pasta.  

Same with making Curry sauces.  I usually make a traditional Tikka Massala from scratch for new years, but it takes bloody ages and all the individual ingredients like fresh chilies, fresh Garlic, having to buy all the spices (AGAIN as they have gone off from the last time they were used), etc etc costs add up.  A £1 jar of Sharwoods (never buy full price), usually ends up cheaper and certainly more convenient.

I've not really looked into it, but I bet the same can be said for Chicken Nuggets.  You can get a bag of 30 frozen for between £1-£1.50.  No chance you can make them for cheaper.  I know they are full of absolute crap, but you certainly can't argue that people on a budget should stay away from processed, high calorie, fatty foods when they are at that price.

Speaking as an individual who over the last 6 months has lost 3.5 stone in bodyweight and is now the same weight as he was at 21 my answer to obesity is plain and simple and is one that has been preached for decades....

Restrict your Calorie intake,eat CLEAN as much as possible and Exercise more,this will work for 99.9 % of individuals without a recognised medical problem.

Only YOU can make the change.

3 hours ago, Boaty said:

Absolute nonsense. I would argue that fast food is much more expensive than cooking yourself and every house must have a hob / oven. Even when the fat slobs go shopping they just ram their trolleys full of ready meals and crisps which again is more expensive.

I agree they may not be able to afford gym membership or an expensive bike, this is because it's all been wasted on crisps sky TV and an iphone. However they could afford a second hand bike off ebay and walking or jogging is completely free.

Absolutely clueless, for the reasons already stated.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Absolutely clueless, for the reasons already stated.

Don't think he's far off to be fair Gav, we have to be responsible to look after ourselves nobody else will. We need to confront certain issues but all to often we take the easy way out & look for things to blame, Often the answer is staring at us but we can't or refuse to see it.

4 hours ago, Boaty said:

I have to largely agree.

For example, even at the supermarket when worked out by weight (as everything is sold by) crisps are actually more expensive than salmon (and many many other much healthier things). 

As for takeaways - they seem really expensive - It was about £20 for a big pizza and bottle of crap last time I got one. Also 'large' chips were £2.40 in the last chippy I went to. As Blackburn is the takeaway capital of the UK one can only presume that some people are buying from there at least a few times a week or they would simply go out of business.

Bone idleness is the key. It's the same with free time - I hear it all the time "I don't have time for blah blah blah" whilst at the same time the same people generally seem to waste 6 hours a day on Candy Crush, watching endless reality TV etc. etc.

At the end of the day it seems the majority of people in 'poverty' seem to have more money (and free time) than sense.

• 2 months later...

Gym W@#kers and general narcissistic self obsessives. Fair play, look after yourself, feel good about yourself but please stop hawking for compliments on social media like it is some badge of honour to have an unfulfilled life and shallow existence. It drives me mad.  

• 5 weeks later...

Archived