BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

I know we won the January transfer window with the loans of Harwood - Bellis, Branthwaite and the Crewe LB but that lad Dike at Barnsley has done alright. Another winning goal takes him to something like 10 or 11 since joining in January. Proper season changing transfer business, rather than going cap in hand to City and Everton and asking to borrow someone on the cheap to fill a gap for 5 months.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 6

• Backroom

Yeah, but you have to factor in the fact that we are (apparently) the only team affected by COVID this season. Or at least that's the nonsensical line seemingly being fed to the owners - but I'm really sceptical of this being true. How utterly thick would you have to be to accept that as true? Even a child would point out that it's the same for all teams. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah, but you have to factor in the fact that we are (apparently) the only team affected by COVID this season. Or at least that's the nonsensical line seemingly being fed to the owners - but I'm really sceptical of this being true. How utterly thick would you have to be to accept that as true? Even a child would point out that it's the same for all teams. 

He’ll 100% have used injuries too. Again, we must be the only club in the land who has had them this season. Funny that.

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He’ll 100% have used injuries too. Again, we must be the only club in the land who has had them this season. Funny that.

Either the owners literally have the intelligence of children or there is something else going on here. This is now the second manager during their ten year tenure who appears to be bulletproof and whose job is not threatened by league position, results or fan opinion. I can't think of a single club where that has been the case for two managers under the same owner.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, DE. said:

Either the owners literally have the intelligence of children or there is something else going on here. This is now the second manager during their ten year tenure who appears to be bulletproof and whose job is not threatened by league position, results or fan opinion. I can't think of a single club where that has been the case for two managers under the same owner.

They don't get football nuance. Pandemic is bad for business, hence why the football is bad. That's all they see and understand. 

They have no idea what the fans think. How would they? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They don't get football nuance. Pandemic is bad for business, hence why the football is bad. That's all they see and understand. 

They have no idea what the fans think. How would they? 

Probably, but isn't it supposedly Pasha's job to communicate and explain this to them? If not then what is his purpose? To pretend everything is okay and not rock the boat? I'm just curious as to what his motivation would be for not telling his bosses the truth about what is going on, if indeed that is the case. It's not like he hasn't recommended sackings before, after all...

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

Probably, but isn't it supposedly Pasha's job to communicate and explain this to them? If not then what is his purpose? To pretend everything is okay and not rock the boat? I'm just curious as to what his motivation would be for not telling his bosses the truth about what is going on, if indeed that is the case. It's not like he hasn't recommended sackings before, after all...

I reckon Mowbray and Waggott have convinced him it's a blip and Tony is the man. He would have to make a case above them then to the owners and really, do they care? What does Pasha know about football?

It's just a dysfunctional set up for success 

18 minutes ago, DE. said:

I have seen teams and companies where it's a form of Stockholm syndrome. Things are clearly not working, but nobody in the thick of it wants to admit that, some don't even realise. Now put Venkys on top of that and you can see how this can fester 

• 5 months later...

I've done a quick calc of the points we've amassed over the last 46 league games, or the equivalent to a full season.

This comes in at 56 points, one less than what we finished up with at season end. 56 points would have placed us in 15th last season, exactly where we ended up.

I also totted up the points amassed since the start of last season's death spiral, starting on 6/2 ironically with a 1-0 loss at QPR. In total, we've played 33 games since then, gaining 35 points.

Extrapolating that over 46 games, we'd end up with 48 points. Last season that would have placed us in 20th place, just 5 points safe from relegation.

I accept that we can fit statistics to suit any narrative, but this to me is clear evidence that we're regressing.

It has to be turned around, or relegation will become a reality sooner or later.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

• 10 months later...

Time to restart this topic - anything else is just denial of the bleeding obvious. With this squad I wouldnt back us to get a result against of teams currently in the bottom half of the table. I doubt Venkys give a monkeys if the club is relegated as they'll just cut the wage bill again and trim their losses.

9 minutes ago, alcd said:

Time to restart this topic - anything else is just denial of the bleeding obvious. With this squad I wouldnt back us to get a result against of teams currently in the bottom half of the table. I doubt Venkys give a monkeys if the club is relegated as they'll just cut the wage bill again and trim their losses.

We've played 3 matches against teams in the bottom half and won all 3 !