BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

Saturday will be interesting. Huddersfield will be one of the teams we need to be finishing above this season if we want to avoid a relegation scrap. So if we get beat or outplayed on Saturday then the alarm bells will be well and truly ringing.

I just can't see us winning these sort of away games. I wouldn't mind a lack of creativity if we got a goal ahead and then deployed a defensive plan to defend the lead and win a game 1-0, but we can't do that. If we manage to go ahead against Huddersfield I expect it will be the usual story of us camped in our own half hanging on to the lead through a combination of last ditch defending and them spurning opportunities rather than us calmly and professionally executing a plan to see the game out.

Likewise I could put up with some of our comical defending if it was a result of us going gung ho and throwing everything we have at the opposition, yet we don't get that.

We seem to be in the middle ground, where we can't defend properly for 90 minutes, can't keep regular clean sheets, yet at the other end create very little and cause the opposition few, if any problems.

Both Wolves and Shrewsbury were no doubt anticipating a bombardment of their goals as they looked to protect their leads, yet in the end both were able to hold on comfortably, with only Koita making any kind of threat towards their goals.

So we 'get behind the manager' for ever more?

Paul Ince was out of his depth and the fans let the board (and Ince) know about it. That WAS suppoprting the club as it was in BRFC's best interest for him to leave.

However, as there is no longer an executive board at Ewood Park, any protests will fall on deaf ears- Bowyer knows this and it all feeds in to the complacent atmosphere that is pervading through the club.,

Its not impossible for the fans to force a manager out under the current regime, after all (in the end) we managed it with Kean. Its just a heck of a lot harder, the boycotting matches bandwagon had to start to click into high gear with Kean before the owners took notice.

Venkys and Williams really are chalk and cheese on this matter though. Williams was virtually flawless in his handling of managers. Ince was sacked at the exact right time for me, as was Hodgson. The appointments of Souness, Hughes and Allardyce were superb. The only major slip-up he made in 13 years was the appointment of Kidd.

I wonder if him getting his feet under the door now at City has anything to do with their uncharacteristically sane decision to keep Pelligrini on for 4 years.

The last couple of seasons we were a top half side who, given a good run, might make the play-offs. This campaign we are a mid to lower table team who could, with a poor run, be involved in a relegation battle. Personally, I think there is still enough quality to finish in the lower half well above the relegation places.

Are you happy with mediocre? Are you happy with bowlers progress ? Are you happy at life under venkys (yes or no ) ?

Its not impossible for the fans to force a manager out under the current regime, after all (in the end) we managed it with Kean. Its just a heck of a lot harder, the boycotting matches bandwagon had to start to click into high gear with Kean before the owners took notice.

Venkys and Williams really are chalk and cheese on this matter though. Williams was virtually flawless in his handling of managers. Ince was sacked at the exact right time for me, as was Hodgson. The appointments of Souness, Hughes and Allardyce were superb. The only major slip-up he made in 13 years was the appointment of Kidd.

I wonder if him getting his feet under the door now at City has anything to do with their uncharacteristically sane decision to keep Pelligrini on for 4 years.

Airbrushing of the truth here.

Williams made good appointments in Souness and Hughes but he dithered far too long over sacking Souness when it was clear he had lost the plot - in the end Newcastle made the decision for him by taking Souness off our hands.

As for Ince, Williams made an absolute howler in appointing Ince in the first place. .

Edited by jim mk2

Williams made good appointments in Souness and Hughes but he dithered far too long over sacking Souness when it was clear he had lost the plot - in the end Newcastle made the decision for him by taking Souness off our hands.

As for Ince, Williams made an absolute howler in appointing Ince in the first place. .

No no no.......,,

I'm not going to say it Jim.

SKHT sentient is spot on in my opinion, chalk n cheese is about right.

Didn't Williams also dither with Ince, and one of the board had to step in?

The appointment of Ince was totally mental, really blotted Williams' copybook.

I'm not have that, yes it was a poor appointment but compared to everything else Williams did at the club it's a minor blip.

Best chairman in the country by a mile.

Edited by GAV

Are you happy with mediocre? Are you happy with bowlers progress ? Are you happy at life under venkys (yes or no ) ?

I don't see things in black and white Abbey. Am I happy with the way things of gone since Venky's took over - clearly not. However, I'm enough of a pragmatist to realise that at the moment we need their financial support. Without it I honestly believe the club goes under. Others don't believe that which is fair enough but I do. Am I happy with mediocrity - again no. However, I also realise that at the moment we have to play the cards we are dealt and that means looking for free transfers and loans and making the best of it. Am I happy with the manager I would say in general yes. He has made mistakes and got things wrong but I firmly believe he has the best interests of the club at heart and until I see evidence to the contrary then I will continue to support him. However, what I feel or think has no bearing on anything as all supporters have differing views on most things surrounding the club at the moment. I still enjoy my football, I still enjoy following the Rovers up and down the country, I still enjoy the comradeship of going to games with friends and discussing the pros and cons afterwards.

• Like 1

Am I happy with the manager I would say in general yes. He has made mistakes and got things wrong but I firmly believe he has the best interests of the club at heart and until I see evidence to the contrary then I will continue to support him.

I'm sure he does have the club's best interest at heart, but it is a question of competence.

I often hear about how Bowyer has brought the famed 'stability', 'saved us from relegation' (now into the third season since then, by the way), eye for a player etc. No issue with those statements, but what do you see in August 2015 that means he should stay on. HOW are we improving? what do you think is his style of play and does it impress you? What do you think of his results in 2015? What do you think of his tactics/in game management?

Sentiment gets you nowhere in the modern game and airy statements like 'he needs 4 years', 'has the club at heart', 'learning his trade' etc. cuts no ice with me and it shouldn't with anyone who has the best interests of BLACKBURN ROVERS at heart, not the career development of Gary Bowyer.

• Like 8

• Backroom

I think the first 2 or 3 months may be more critical for us than for other teams.

If we can get a few lucky wins, scrape a few draws, we could build some momentum for mid-table.

So pretty much a repeat of last season, minus Gestede and possibly one of Rhodes or Marshall too...

Williams didn't dither over Souness or Ince, he's just rightly more cautious and professional than most fans. Half our fans would have sacked Big Sam before Venkys did it so keeping a manager on a bit longer than the fans would like should be a sane requirement for chairmen. Think Fergy at Man U for why managers should be given as much chance as a club can afford.

Ince got 17 games because that was exactly what we could afford before making survival unobtainable. Souness got over a year because he wasn't putting us at risk of relegation. Exactly the same reason why Bowyer should have been on the Ince timescale to be honest. 1-2 years out of the top flight is all the club could afford.

Relegation thread after 1 league game and a predictable early cup exit?

Surely give it 5 league games before the gallows are out? As I've said, a group of 4/5 losses in a row will indicate to me that the manager has lost the dressing room and that would be time for me to discuss relegation as a possibility. That's LL so far.

If this has come around from selling players from the last two seasons of finishing top ten, maybe we should let their replacements get a few games in the league before we write them completely off eh lads.

It's not time for me to discuss this further. If Hudds spank us on Saturday I might open the thread again. Adios :)

Edited by Jbizzle

Relegation thread after 1 league game and a predictable early cup exit?

Surely give it 5 league games before the gallows are out? As I've said, a group of 4/5 losses in a row will indicate to me that the manager has lost the dressing room and that would be time for me to discuss relegation as a possibility. That's LL so far.

If this has come around from selling players from the last two seasons of finishing top ten, maybe we should let their replacements get a few games in the league before we write them completely off eh lads.

It's not time for me to discuss this further. If Hudds spank us on Saturday I might open the thread again. Adios :)

The thread is now open whether you like it or not, quite rightly too

• Like 2

I don't see things in black and white Abbey. Am I happy with the way things of gone since Venky's took over - clearly not. However, I'm enough of a pragmatist to realise that at the moment we need their financial support. Without it I honestly believe the club goes under. Others don't believe that which is fair enough but I do. Am I happy with mediocrity - again no. However, I also realise that at the moment we have to play the cards we are dealt and that means looking for free transfers and loans and making the best of it. Am I happy with the manager I would say in general yes. He has made mistakes and got things wrong but I firmly believe he has the best interests of the club at heart and until I see evidence to the contrary then I will continue to support him. However, what I feel or think has no bearing on anything as all supporters have differing views on most things surrounding the club at the moment. I still enjoy my football, I still enjoy following the Rovers up and down the country, I still enjoy the comradeship of going to games with friends and discussing the pros and cons afterwards.

On Sky Sports 1 now Parson , Portsmouth are playing Derby ....

In my opinion there is as much of a chance of us getting promotion as there is relegation. We are destined for mid table. We have enough quality in the team to be 8th-12th this season with Bowyer.

Said many times before, when we got relegated from the 1st Division, second division 1st time, PL,

That kind of narrative gets in the players mind, net result disaster

Said many times before, when we got relegated from the 1st Division, second division 1st time, PL,

That kind of narrative gets in the players mind, net result disaster

In Rhodes and Conway we have two of the very best players in the league. If they stay fit we will comfortably finish between 8th and 12th.

I agree that it could happen but Bowyer has shown himself to be someone who is capable of leading a team to those positions. Promotion places? Not going to happen with our defensive frailties.

In Rhodes and Conway we have two of the very best players in the league. If they stay fit we will comfortably finish between 8th and 12th.

I agree that it could happen but Bowyer has shown himself to be someone who is capable of leading a team to those positions. Promotion places? Not going to happen with our defensive frailties.

Both Burnley and Blackpool have been promoted from this league whilst starting as relegation favourites.

• Backroom

Conway's decent but "one of the best players in the league"? Come on now. Clubs aren't exactly banging down the door to try and take him from us. He's good in comparison to the rest of the team, but hey... he's competing with the likes of Lowe, Williamson and Chris Brown. It's not difficult to look alright.

If Rhodes gets injured or we sell him, we're sunk IMO. That's pretty much the be all and end all from my perspective because nobody else in our team scores goals and without goals, we won't get anywhere.

• Like 1

Conway's decent but "one of the best players in the league"? Come on now. Clubs aren't exactly banging down the door to try and take him from us. He's good in comparison to the rest of the team, but hey... he's competing with the likes of Lowe, Williamson and Chris Brown. It's not difficult to look alright.

If Rhodes gets injured or we sell him, we're sunk IMO. That's pretty much the be all and end all from my perspective because nobody else in our team scores goals and without goals, we won't get anywhere.

Look at the last 2 seasons and the number of assists that he gets. He is one of the best in the league.

• Like 1

Bang on. I was going to write on here about how Gaz will likely get a result on Saturday, as he usually does when he's under a little pressure. That being said we need to remember that we're now 20 goals shy of where we were last season. It's a huge ask. Who is making up that shortfall? Delfouneso? Browny? Not a cat in hells chance. I'd wager they won't reach 5 between them all season. Very, very worrying. If that window slams shut and Rhodes has gone then we are goosed.