BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

American Challenge Cup 1964

In 1962 the US International Soccer League initiated an annual 'American Challenge Cup' and Rovers played in the 1964 edition. I've found out just a little bit about how we got on in Section 1 of the tournament. Dukla Prague, the returning cup holders, won it again.

Does anyone have more detailed information like who was in the Rovers squad that travelled, where they played, match results and scorers ...... I'm interested as it was just after I had started watching Rovers and I'd never even heard of the Tournament before today!

Final League Standings, 1964                                  GP   W   T   L  GF  GA  Pts	Section ISV Werder Bremen (West Germany)    6   4   2   0  18  10  10Heart of Midlothian (Scotland)     6   4   1   1   7   5   9A. C. Lanerossi-Vicenza (Italy)    6   2   2   2  12  11   6Blackburn Rovers (England)         6   1   1   4   7  11   3E.C. Bahia (Brazil)                6   0   2   4   5  12   2
Section IIZaglebie Sosnowiec (Poland)        6   4   2   0  16   7  10Schwechater (Austria)              6   2   3   1  11  10   7Red Star Belgrade (Yugoslavia)     6   2   3   1  12  12   7Vitoria Guimaraes (Portugal)       6   1   3   2   5   6   5AEK Athens (Greece)                6   0   1   5   3  12   1CHAMPIONSHIPZaglebie Sosnowiec 4	SV Werder Bremen 0Zaglebie Sosnowiec 1	SV Werder Bremen 0(Zaglebie Sosnowiec wins by 5-0 aggregate)AMAEIRCAN CHALLENGE CUPDukla Prague            Zaglebie Sosnowiec 1Dukla Prague 1		Zaglebie Sosnowiec 1(Dukla Prague wins by 4-2 aggregate)Top Scorer:  Gerd Zebrowski, Werder Bremen, 8 goalsEisenhower Trophy (MVP:  Gerd Zebrowski, Werder Bremen

Here you go, full stats:

http://soccerstats.us/games/24332/

Looks like a strong squad to me.

Many many thanks. A lot of info there. Played 3 games in NY and 1 in LA.

Strong squad with many of the players I remember from that era plus others less well known but remembered like Chris Sims. Alan Bradshaw (a Blackburn lad), Reg Blore and George Jones.

http://hugmansfootballers.com/

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.