BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Even if that were the case, he's got a track record of winning games and getting promoted, so there is that......

We are talking developing a talent player here who needs game time to improve. Dyche does win games but Connor Mahoney aint going to be part of it tho is he? Even some of Dyche big signings like Brady, Defour and Tarkowski(ex Brentford centre back) cant even get in the side. Aint going to improve playing for their under 23's side. Btw, we beaten their under 23's this season and there is huge gap between ours and theirs. Dyche doesnt develop talent Mowbray does.

So the question of the day is what is important to Connor, developing his talent and playing 1st team football or earning bigger wage and not playing 1st team football somewhere else?

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Whatever happens, re Mahoney, I can already sense people starting with 'he's not even that good anyway', or 'balls to him if he wants to go'. Like they did with Duffy, Marshall, Cairney et al.

Without being alarmed that yet another player has left for a higher placed club. Bigger picture........

I believe that ultimately money will be the deciding factor as to where he is next season. From a decent source I heard he has been offered £1500 per week. The real tragedy here though is that we are in a situation where a promising young player will probably leave over (in footballing terms) a relatively small amount and we are paying the likes of Stokes and Brown a lot of money and in the case of Stokes will continue to do so for some time yet.

It's just another example of the madness that prevails at our club.

Bottom line is we cannot afford to be losing players like this for one second. You can make an argument for established players leaving who are already on good money when more ambitious clubs come calling and hang a big fee infront of unscrupulous owners.

Not in this case, here we might be talking about offering a local lad with potential LESS than he can get at smaller clubs. The club will trot the line out it's about money and it should be about playing to protect their end but you cannot blame the player too much if he's being offered a league 2 salary to possibly play in a side where lads of less ability are getting double/treble his whack.

I think we need an emergency loan, so that we can offer Connor proper money and tempt him to stay. Of course the owners could dip their hands in their pockets, give him what he deserves now and if he does come good, sell him for a profit in a few years. After all, that's the basis on which they were sold the club in the first place.

Just now, 1arC said:

I think we need an emergency loan, so that we can offer Connor proper money and tempt him to stay. Of course the owners could dip their hands in their pockets, give him what he deserves now and if he does come good, sell him for a profit in a few years. After all, that's the basis on which they were sold the club in the first place.

We shouldn't rely on our billionaire owners to give young local talent with great potential a contract worth 650k over 4 years. 

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

If true it tells you everything you need to know about the lad. F him!

Exactly. If he's even entertaining the prospect of leaving Rovers to join that lot then that says all that needs to be said.

Fair enough not being happy with the package Rovers are offering, which is undoubtedly poor as it has been with all the other contract renewals recently, but a line has to be drawn and a move there would be crossing it.

Just now, J*B said:

We shouldn't rely on our billionaire owners to give young local talent with great potential a contract worth 650k over 4 years. 

Of course, I forgot that we shouldn't be relying on our owners and that fact that Connor is a baby in footballing terms and they are no longer feeding their baby. Isn't it a shame that we can't all chip in and fund his wages, for a cut of the future profit? That of course would be third party ownership and the club would never go anywhere near that would they?

Just now, JHRover said:

Exactly. If he's even entertaining the prospect of leaving Rovers to join that lot then that says all that needs to be said.

Fair enough not being happy with the package Rovers are offering, which is undoubtedly poor as it has been with all the other contract renewals recently, but a line has to be drawn and a move there would be crossing it.

I think TM sums this thing up perfectly in the fans meeting, the grass isn't always greener (even nowadays) and the likelyhood is he will end up in some development squad and then on loan.

Ofcourse, big picture; another example of how we've fallen because of Venkys, but the small picture will be detrimental for Mahoney if he leaves for free, especially as a supposed Rovers fan!!

Just now, Jbizzle said:

I think TM sums this thing up perfectly in the fans meeting, the grass isn't always greener (even nowadays) and the likelyhood is he will end up in some development squad and then on loan.

Ofcourse, big picture; another example of how we've fallen because of Venkys, but the small picture will be detrimental for Mahoney if he leaves for free, especially as a supposed Rovers fan!!

I don't think he will leave for free of he goes there. We will be due compensation, because of his age, but it will still be one huge kick in the unthinkables!

Just now, 1arC said:

I don't think he will leave for free of he goes there. We will be due compensation, because of his age, but it will still be one huge kick in the unthinkables!

If he goes to Burnley, good look to him. The sugar coating might be them going down looking at recent form.

A bit Dier, Son.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are talking developing a talent player here who needs game time to improve. Dyche does win games but Connor Mahoney aint going to be part of it tho is he? Even some of Dyche big signings like Brady, Defour and Tarkowski(ex Brentford centre back) cant even get in the side. Aint going to improve playing for their under 23's side. Btw, we beaten their under 23's this season and there is huge gap between ours and theirs. Dyche doesnt develop talent Mowbray does.

So the question of the day is what is important to Connor, developing his talent and playing 1st team football or earning bigger wage and not playing 1st team football somewhere else?

We've been through all this before and the answer is "they always go".

Possible scenario---a Rovers fan has a chance to choose between signing for the side he supports and Burnley and he chooses Burnley. Unthinkable at the time when Venkys bought the club.

We could not sink any lower. What further humiliations await us eh?

Still let's get those season-tickets rolling out!

1 hour ago, J*B said:

If he had certain representation he'd probably have been on a 10k five year contract months ago..........

Just now, tomphil said:

If he had certain representation he'd probably have been on a 10k five year contract months ago..........

Or he was brought in under certain representation and just given enough fleeting performances to convince someone higher up he is worth a couple of million pound contract. Can't beat 10% can you...

29 minutes ago, 47er said:

We've been through all this before and the answer is "they always go".

Possible scenario---a Rovers fan has a chance to choose between signing for the side he supports and Burnley and he chooses Burnley. Unthinkable at the time when Venkys bought the club.

We could not sink any lower. What further humiliations await us eh?

Still let's get those season-tickets rolling out!

Look at what Ive said if he choose Burnley. Its about money not the development. 

Dyche has spent over 20 mil pounds on 3 players(name them previously) are none are in the starting 11. So why is Mahoney going there supposedly? He isnt a Dyche type player either. Could anyone tell one Dyche has brought through from the Academy during his time there? 

Another way of looking at it is for all he knows this could be his only chance in the Premier League, at a club that is well run and looking steady, polar opposite to his current situation. 

As far as game time goes, being a professional footballer, the guy will obviously believe in his own ability enough to get in and around the team to make a good impact. If he doesn't do enough to get in then well then he'll just drop back down to the Championship or lower and take another signing on fee £££. He's young enough to 'start again' in a couple of years if things don't work out. The fact he's had a couple of years at a Premier League setup will stand him in good stead, both in terms of ability AND reputation.

Football isn't an exact science and the situation that a promising young player like Mahoney finds himself in, there are too many variables and outcomes at play to paint his next move so black and white.

The only thing Rovers can be criticised for here is the previous management not offering him enough game time.

Rovers have offered him a contract. I'm not sure the amount on offer is the issue as my understanding is he won't sign one in any event. What is he worth? 3k p.w.? 5?. What if we offered him those figures and he still won't sign? Do you go up to 10? Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

The only thing Rovers can be criticised for here is the previous management not offering him enough game time.

Rovers have offered him a contract. I'm not sure the amount on offer is the issue as my understanding is he won't sign one in any event. What is he worth? 3k p.w.? 5?. What if we offered him those figures and he still won't sign? Do you go up to 10? Surely a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Didnt Nixon say he turned down 3k a week which is what he was after at the start?

He needs to listen to Mowbray advice. Spot on advice

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt Nixon say he turned down 3k a week which is what he was after at the start?

He needs to listen to Mowbray advice. Spot on advice

3k seems about right for a clearly talented player that still has a massive amount to work on. However it is a bit sickening when you think that Stokes and Brown are both on triple that. I'd wish him well if he went to anyone bar Burnley. If he goes there, I hope he's never able to enter the town again.

Archived