SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RV Blue said:

At 20 years old you are a man, and Mahoney still plays like a boy. He isn't good enough technically to make up for his lack of physicality. Maybe he'll get bigger and stronger in the next few years, but how many 20 years olds does that happen to? I can't think of many, can you? Serious question by the way.

You should really flip that round and ask how many players were the finished article at 20? You won't find many.

Adam Lallana is a great example of how players can improve, even into their late-twenties. 

14 hours ago, RV Blue said:

At 20 years old you are a man, and Mahoney still plays like a boy. He isn't good enough technically to make up for his lack of physicality. Maybe he'll get bigger and stronger in the next few years, but how many 20 years olds does that happen to? I can't think of many, can you? Serious question by the way.

Yes players can improve after 20. He doesn't necessarily need to just "get bigger" He could improve in numerous ways if coached correctly and given game time. 

Does Mahoney have it in him? The jury is still out I reckon. 

Mahoney might be 20 now but, apart from a few League Two games for Accy Stanley years ago, he's only just been introduced to senior level football. He had a few minutes under Bowyer, couple of starts under Lambert, but this is the first time he's been involved game in, game out for a sustained period of time. Other players are in this situation at 18/19, so it could be said he's a bit behind. 

Taking this into account I'd say he's performing very well and it's clear he's got what others our team don't - ability. 

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The latest I heard was Rovers offered 3k he asked for.

Someone on here posted PNE Offered 8k. 

Personally I think he wait until end of the season decide what he wants to do

The top of our pay scale is supposedly around 10k per week so I seriously doubt we've offered a 20 year old lad 8k.

You won't have as what usually happens around Rovers when they are preparing to let a player go is all kinds of wild wage and contract demand accusations fly around before said player gets punted and settles for an altogether more modest deal in most cases. Propaganda I think they call it aka blame the player, everytime !

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/23/report-sunderland-want-blackburn-rovers-winger-connor-mahoney/page/1/

Mahoney linked with summer move to Sunderland.

He's created a lot of chances. You'd think we'd offer him a decent contract. He'll be worth a lot more in a year or two. Football Management for Dummies. Could some computer whizz do a mock-up of my potential new book.

The problem with this is we're trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. He should have been getting game time long ago but wasnt getting it and seemingly has made his mind up to move on.

Mahoney, Conway or Feeney?. Its a no brainer for me and it aint either of the two older players.

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/23/report-sunderland-want-blackburn-rovers-winger-connor-mahoney/page/1/

He's created a lot of chances. You'd think we'd offer him a decent contract. He'll be worth a lot more in a year or two. Football Management for Dummies. Could some computer whizz do a mock-up of my potential new book.

Nixon reported it yesterday in the Sun. 

Yesterday news

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

exactly

which is why I hope to avoid getting drawn into this pointless thread for the entirity of the summer.

I suggest everyone else does the same for the sake of your own sanity.

Maybe Glenn can add a health warning to the title

You may have to take a sabbatical SS.

This is what the Venkys, and to some extent the Walker Trust have reduced us to.

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

David Moyes was at Ewood for the Bristol game 

38 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Will Moyes be at Sunderland after this season? Was he there in a professional capacity or because he lives round here somewhere and fancied watching a match? Was he looking at a City player? Have newspapers spotted him and made a story up? The speculation possibilities are endless

Just now, gumboots said:

Will Moyes be at Sunderland after this season? Was he there in a professional capacity or because he lives round here somewhere and fancied watching a match? Was he looking at a City player? Have newspapers spotted him and made a story up? The speculation possibilities are endless

Agree a bit slow on that one was Nixon 

4 hours ago, Athlete said:

Watching Gallagher. 

It was about 4 or 5 time Sunderland scouted him. 

Big questions is will Sunderland still have Moyes and will owner Short still be there? Also will money be available to spend?

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Watching Gallagher. 

It was about 4 or 5 time Sunderland scouted him. 

Big questions is will Sunderland still have Moyes and will owner Short still be there? Also will money be available to spend?

I said this to my mate Yesterday.

Yesterdays news 

Whatever business we do in the summer it will be flawed and doomed to fail, as it has virtually every summer since they arrived. In hindsight it is a miracle that Bowyer managed to piece together the squad he did with relative peanuts, I suppose a policy of picking up players surplus to requirements at recently promoted clubs not to mention free agent journeymen on much bigger wages than offered elsewhere was the only way he was going to be able to put together a competitive Championship team.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Rotherham and Wigan will already have plans in place for League One. They will know which players are going, they will know what their wage bill is going to be and will have targets in mind with a view to assembling a squad capable of promotion next season. It might not happen for them but at least they'll give it a shot.

Then we've got the likes of Portsmouth and Plymouth coming up from League Two with confidence, momentum and a winning habit. Some sensible purchases for them this summer and they'll fancy another promotion push.

Meanwhile when our fate is confirmed we'll have a period of 'confusion' aka the owners couldn't give a stuff and will make decisions when they can be bothered, which usually means late May or early June before anyone at BRFC has any idea what financial structure will be in place and what the owners want. If we need a new manager expect another 2 month 'search' carried out by unqualified people before another poor appointment. If we don't need another manager Mowbray will be left in limbo and unable to add to his squad until pre-season is well underway.

We'll be playing the catch up game again like so many times before. Even with a half decent squad that doesn't bode well, but with our probable squad next season it will be a disaster.

They'll sign lower level journey men who'll play for a few grand per week instead of Champ ones and promote as many U23's as poss then scour around for any loans from higher placed clubs who'll send them here for virtually nothing. Pretty much a lesser version of what's happened this year except without the thousands given to frees like Graham, Mulgrew & that cretin Stokes who'll all be paid up and that'll hamper the finances even more.

Wish I had a quid for everyone who is assuming we'll go down then bounce straight back up after a season of rebuilding. That's the ideal they'll try and sell but the reality will probably be a whole lot different.

Archived