BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joey Barton

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do the pools the odd weekend, but some of my friends are very bad on it. The way it is shoved in peoples, particularly mens, faces is outrageous. We will look back on this in future like Cigarette advertising if you ask me. 

This I certainly agree with. It's become so prominent these days and I'm surprised some of these advertisements are allowed to air.

I've been saying this for a while (to anyone that will listen), for example the whole 'Ladbrokes Life' nonsense ads that ran a while back where they had some guff about a group of 'lads'. One was 'the thinker', another 'the stat man' etc etc and it was completely centered around the notion of everybody bets on football and your day isn't complete if you don't put bets on. Obviously I understand what advertising is and I'm not disputing it's effectiveness, just surprised as I felt it glorified it all too strongly. Mind you I suppose I'm not complaining about such things when Mila Kunis is looking completely badass drinking a glass of Jim Beam! (Though I much prefer Woodford Reserve)

It was a terrible advert in my opinion, or maybe I'm being over sensitive on it as I've never been a betting man, I don't even bet on the Grand National.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's lucky that his trial was postponed a couple of times and has more or less got the full season in. If he's free to play in US, Qatar, China etc then I see no issues with the punishment. I don't think he was getting another deal at Burnley anyway.

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Both can lead to crippling addictions, but the FA, Sky and many others are making money off the gambling industry, because they can. Whereas legislation stops them from promoting alcohol, so they don't. They are unscrupulous. 

I think they should be helping Barton and setting examples for others who are struggling with this addiction. Rather than adopting the hypocritical stand of banning him whilst taking cash hand over fist from betting companies who are causing untold, in a lot of cases silent and largely uncontrolled damage in the UK and Ireland. 

The thing is, the FA stance will be nothing to do with the evils of addiction. This is all about "the integrity of the game" - which is laughable when you think about how much the care about the integrity of football club ownership.

Just now, Stuart said:

The thing is, the FA stance will be nothing to do with the evils of addiction. This is all about "the integrity of the game" - which is laughable when you think about how much the care about the integrity of football club ownership.

How integral was David Newton whom served as Head of Integrity at the FA when waving Venkys through a green light and failing to request a copy of the Crescendo agreement despite being told in March 2011 that this indeed existed by Andrew Pincher?

Archived