BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Cult Heroes

Oldgregg86

Think bigger picture chaps.

If Marshalls comments in a Suffolk rag bring Venkys reign to an end he's a bloody legend in our house.

Abbeys getting a Marshall tattoo on his arse if they sod off because of it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question OP! Contenders for me are Batty, Flitcroft, Todd and Salgado. But the number one is Pedersen.

Maybe heightened because many fans always had it in for him but I just loved the bloke. 349 games, 47 often mind-blowing goals, phenomenal work-rate, absolute wand of a left foot and bought in to everything about the club, really did bleed blue and white. I'd accept the argument that he never fulfilled his early potential but at the end of the day a club like Man U would have snatched him if he had.

• Backroom

Great question OP! Contenders for me are Batty, Flitcroft, Todd and Salgado. But the number one is Pedersen.

Maybe heightened because many fans always had it in for him but I just loved the bloke. 288 games, 35 often mind-blowing goals, phenomenal work-rate, absolute wand of a left foot and bought in to everything about the club, really did bleed blue and white. I'd accept the argument that he never fulfilled his early potential but at the end of the day a club like Man U would have snatched him if he had.

Added to that, it always fascinated me that he was actually right footed!

Added to that, it always fascinated me that he was actually right footed!

Yeah I could never believe that! Apparently his dad made him practice non-stop with his left as a youngster, I assume because teams are more often short on that left side (e.g. England since forever). Happens a fair bit with batters too at cricket, Gilchrist for example. Amazing thing the human body that you can condition your weaker side to be exceptional at the highest level.

Think my first 'cult hero' was 'Fergie' (Mike Ferguson) - not necessarily the best when compared to Pick, England, Newton etc but because of his Machiavellianism. The fans could relate to him - wore his heart on his sleeve, loved his aggression and get up and go.

'Sir Roger' (Jones) was another 'cult hero' but in a different way - had a real 'aura' of class about him. A £30,000 Quigley steal from Bournemouth. Only surprise was that he didn't end up with one of Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool etc.

These guys weren't on mega bucks like the overrated and overpaid prima donnas of recent years and today.

'Fergie' and 'Sir Roger' would be priceless today.

Think my first 'cult hero' was 'Fergie' (Mike Ferguson) - not necessarily the best when compared to Pick, England, Newton etc but because of his Machiavellianism. The fans could relate to him - wore his heart on his sleeve, loved his aggression and get up and go.

'Sir' Roger (Jones) was another 'cult hero' but in a different way - had a real 'aura' of class about him.

These guys weren't on mega bucks like the overrated and overpaid prima donnas of recent years and today.

Fergie and Sir Roger would be priceless today.

Fergie certainly divided opinion , fantastic with the ball at his feet, but didn't let go of it when other options were on. Most of all I remember him best for when I won a 24 pack of Thwaites bitter on the Tie break question in a quiz. (Who scored the last league goal for Accrington Stanley)

Maybe heightened because many fans always had it in for him but I just loved the bloke. 288 games, 35 often mind-blowing goals, phenomenal work-rate, absolute wand of a left foot and bought in to everything about the club, really did bleed blue and white. I'd accept the argument that he never fulfilled his early potential but at the end of the day a club like Man U would have snatched him if he had.

I'd argue he did fulfil his early potential. I remember him skying a gilt edged chance to win the game into row Z on his debut against Man Utd. He scored some great goals but I can't remember he ever giving his oponent the run a around like Fergie etc used to do.

Gael Givet for me, always put 100% in and ran his socks off (other than a few games under the bald one) I'd have maybe said Shabani Nonda if he hadn't have missed that chance against Bayer Leverkusen at Ewood when we only needed a goal to go through to the next round! I was a big fan of David Thompson when I was younger and had his name on a shirt as a kid. A really talented player who could score a Worldie. Brett Emerton and Jon Stead (first season only) are worthy of a mention too. Matt Derbyshire and Paul Gallagher in there time here as well just for being young lads who came through the youth system and who could come off the bench and bag a goal when needed.

Givet and Thompson are good shouts to fair. Hundred %'s mostly and had a bit of rapport with fans and a lot don't go back as far as the Speedies etc

'What;s that coming over the hill is it a Nonda is it a Nonda' great song if nothing else from the days the BBE sang and had some humour :rover:

Some barrels being scraped above.

Sorry about that. In case this ever comes up again on here, can you give me a list of players I'm allowed to pick from? Or better yet who exactly my cult hero should be? Maybe in future if the OP phrases the question better, "On behalf of the fanbase, who was your cult hero and why Jim?". Only one reply to the topic but at least we can be sure it's the correct one.

Maybe heightened because many fans always had it in for him but I just loved the bloke. 349 games, 47 often mind-blowing goals, phenomenal work-rate, absolute wand of a left foot and bought in to everything about the club, really did bleed blue and white. I'd accept the argument that he never fulfilled his early potential but at the end of the day a club like Man U would have snatched him if he had.

Nice to read decent comments about MGP. There is a reason he was rated by the managers he worked under. 350 games? Very good player for the Rovers likeable lad as well.

Sorry about that. In case this ever comes up again on here, can you give me a list of players I'm allowed to pick from? Or better yet who exactly my cult hero should be? Maybe in future if the OP phrases the question better, "On behalf of the fanbase, who was your cult hero and why Jim?". Only one reply to the topic but at least we can be sure it's the correct one.

My post referred to the one immediately above - sorry if this is too complicated for you. I posted my "cult heroes" in previous posts - if you'd been bothered to look.

• 2 months later...

If anyone is missing their Saturday football fix, Liverpool TV (Sky 429) is showing free live coverage of Liverpool Legends v Real Madrid Legends.

Only reason I mention it is that a 41yo Michel Salgado is racing round like a 27yo! Could do a job in the Championship...!

In order of me seeing them from my early days to present day

Noel Brotherston

Glenn Keeley

Terry Gennoe

Jimmy Quinn

Ossy Ardiles

Frank Stapleton

Shearer

Hendry

Flowers

Duff

Flitty

Gillespie

Dunn

Jansen

Friedel

Tugay

Sukur

Neill

Savage

Bellamy

Todd

Peds

Robinson

List is getting harder aka Cult heroes rather than just good players/fav.......

christ we had some cracking players.

Just now, Stuart said:

If anyone is missing their Saturday football fix, Liverpool TV (Sky 429) is showing free live coverage of Liverpool Legends v Real Madrid Legends.

Only reason I mention it is that a 41yo Michel Salgado is racing round like a 27yo! Could do a job in the Championship...!

I played against Mick Rathbone few years ago even in his mid 50's he turned me inside out and Im no slouch...

Id say a cult hero is someone loved, had a great season or two but was not actually that good. 

By that definition in recent years it really is hard to look past Jon Stead. Steadinho has all the ingredients. Oh and Kuqi another.

Ooh and Shabani Nonda, mainly as he had a great chant, as well as being fantastically mediocre yet lovable.

Archived