BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Norwich City vs Rovers - 11/3/17

Opening the thread with some stats.

Going to be a really tough match, hope we can keep the unbeaten run going.

For some historic perspective......

Rovers have an awful record in East Anglia

@ Norwich City

P 18 W 3 D 6 L 9 F 17 A 30 Pts 15

@ Ipswich Town

P 23 W 2 D 9 L 12 F 24 A 37 Pts 15

In East Anglia (vs. Norwich City and Ipswich Town)

P 41 W 5 D 15 L 21 F 41 A 67 Pts 30 (from a possible 123)

Last victory in the region?

Norwich City 0-2 Blackburn Rovers - 28/8/1999

An Egil Ostenstad double gave Rovers the 3 points!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Yeah, unfortunately Rovers rarely perform in this neck of the woods. 

As far as Norwich are concerned, they're having a rough time away from home, but their last six home league games read:

Norwich 3-0 Derby

Norwich 3-1 Wolves

Norwich 2-0 Birmingham

Norwich 5-1 Notts Forest

Norwich 2-2 Newcastle

Norwich 1-1 Ipswich

So, yeah... unrealistic to expect anything from this one imo. A draw would be one hell of a result. 

Under the previous few gaffers this would be nailed on to kick start Norwich's revival but i hope this might be a bit different. Terrible record Rovers in that part of the world of course and i think many shirk/hide in fixtures like this so far away when there isn't many of their own fans eyes on them. Hopefully they are up for this one though and getting the first goal is a must imo.

Norwich 1   Rovers 1

Ok trying to think tactically why have we only won 5 games in Norfolk and Suffolk. I know it is a bit out of the way but P41 won only 5! Grass is still grass. I'd be looking at what we have done over the years as far as travel to the area, maybe get there a day earlier than normal.

I am with Chaddy on this they are under pressure and this could be revenge time from the stuffing they gave us in August when we had the great tight shorted idiot running the show.

Nice to see a match thread so early again.

Rovers 2 - 0 Norwich

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Andy Neil is under massive pressure there from the fans. If we can get ahead in the game then it could be nasty atmosphere for Norwich players and manager. 

I would drop Gallagher and Conway. Bring in Graham and Mahoney. 

That probably explains why Andy Neil is not posting as much on here recently ;)

I'll never forget the game at Carrow Road in the relegation season under Steve Kean.

We were 3-1 ahead with about 10 minutes to go and I knew even a 2-goal lead wouldn't be enough as Norwich came storming back to draw 3-3.

Walked away from the ground feeling we'd lost and relegation even at that early stage in the season looked inevitable.

Hoilett scored a super goal that day. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I'll never forget the game at Carrow Road in the relegation season under Steve Kean.

We were 3-1 ahead with about 10 minutes to go and I knew even a 2-goal lead wouldn't be enough as Norwich came storming back to draw 3-3.

Walked away from the ground feeling we'd lost and relegation even at that early stage in the season looked inevitable.

The ref gave them a pen when the ball dropped out of the sky and landed on Steve Nzonzi's arm.

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Remember watching Soccer Saturday when that game was on and Merson slaughtered Kean for the subs he made and the tactics at 3 - 1. Must have been hauled over the coals for that because he soon did a spectacular U turn on wee Mutley.

For me the team is getting a little tired so we need to rotate the squad a little bit but keep the backbone the same. 

I would go with 

---------------Steele--------

Nyambe--Lenihan--Hoban---Williams

Feeney--Mulgrew--Lowe/Akpan---Mahoney

-----------------Emnes------------------

----------------Graham------------------

I would love to see us sell a few in the summer the likes of Stokes, Greer, Brown (Unless he wants to become a coach). Allow Guthrie to go. Get Tomlinson around the first team. Give Lowe (as I actually think he is decent, and have to remember this is the first season he plays for us entirely for a while so I would expect him to be better next year), and Mahoney a new contract hopefully once our league position is secured in the Championship fingers crossed. 

Norwich are a team of talented players under performing with a manager under big pressure. Cameron Jerome came out after there 5-1 defeat at Wednesday last weekend and basically said the players weren't following a game plan and playing for themselves rather than each other. We should be going there to frustrate them and get the fans on their backs and try and Nick a goal. By all means if Norwich do turn up though we will do well to get a point and I'd definitely take a point right now. 

3 hours ago, roverstdt said:

For me the team is getting a little tired so we need to rotate the squad a little bit but keep the backbone the same. 

I would go with 

---------------Steele--------

Nyambe--Lenihan--Hoban---Williams

Feeney--Mulgrew--Lowe/Akpan---Mahoney

-----------------Emnes------------------

----------------Graham------------------

I would love to see us sell a few in the summer the likes of Stokes, Greer, Brown (Unless he wants to become a coach). Allow Guthrie to go. Get Tomlinson around the first team. Give Lowe (as I actually think he is decent, and have to remember this is the first season he plays for us entirely for a while so I would expect him to be better next year), and Mahoney a new contract hopefully once our league position is secured in the Championship fingers crossed. 

Give Lowe a new contract and get rid of Guthrie? Give your head a wobble.

• Mike E pinned this topic
1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Give Lowe a new contract and get rid of Guthrie? Give your head a wobble.

Jason Lowe has shown nothing in his time here that would make me think he'd get into a league 2 side never mind playing championship or league one football next season. A fully fit Guthrie is head and shoulders above Lowe. Guthrie clearly isn't fully fit at the minute but he's still shown himself too be much better than Lowe in centre mid. He'd probably even do better at right back too! 

I'm interested to see what approach TM will take, do we go there with nothing to lose and go for it from the start and then maybe look to hold on or do we set up to make things difficult for Norwich be defensive and then look at how it's going with half an hour to play n make the subs early n look to nick it if we're still in the game? It be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Personally I would like to see a braver approach "he who dares wins". The players have shown a bit of hunger since TM has taken over, I'd like to see that continue. If he has belief that they can go get three points and sets them up to do so you never know they could muster it together.

When I think about Norwich 2 things spring to mind:

The Norwich pub window I went flying through back in the early 90's, long story :P and Cameron Jerome, doesn't he always score against us?

Norwich not won in 5 and we don't win away from home, i'd take a draw now.

1-1

Would like to keep it tight myself for 70 minutes with the hope of catching them on the break or getting a set piece. This stage of the season is about getting as many points on the board so we need to go out there looking to keep a clean sheet at least.

Steele

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Akpan

Bennett   Guthrie Lowe   Feeney

Graham

Just now, Dunnfc said:

This stage of the season is about getting as many points on the board so we need to go out there looking to keep a clean sheet at least.

Norwich have scored in 17 of their 19 home games this season. You'd have to go back to October to when they last failed to score at home.

Looking to "keep a clean sheet at least" is a bit of an extreme expectation!

Archived