BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Rovers v Barnsley

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully a win, but sadly not sure.

I will be in St Brelades Bay in Jersey.  The graveyard where Jack Walker is buried is by the beach and I will place some red roses on his grave.

For those few of you who bother to go to Ewood on Saturday please leave a message for the Venkys.

"Ah lad ah! Am goin' daan' pit!"

Kes, Michael Parkinson, Mick McCarthy, t'pits... Barnsley is possibly the most deprived area in the United Kingdom, and while their claims to fame may not be glamorous, an old pal of mine from university gives me a big soft spot for them. They're just a bit difficult to dislike.

Barnsley are having a good season by their expectations, despite a serious lack of form since January. Like most clubs these days, Barnsley have had their fair share of managers and caretakers in and out of the revolving door, with no fewer than 8 over the last 8 years. Their current manager, Paul Heckingbottom, has done a good job at keeping Barnsley well away from the drop zone, as well as having them flying high earlier in the season and challenging for promotion.

However, Barnsley lost two key players in the January transfer window. Sam Winnall, who was Barnsley's main goal threat, made the switch to local rivals Sheffield Wednesday (incidentally, he scored against Barnsley at Oakwell last Saturday). Conor Hourihane, a midfielder who makes things tick, went to Aston Villa. Perhaps it's no coincidence that, since their two key players left in January, Barnsley's promotion push has seriously tailed off, and their form has spiralled. With just one win since the January transfer window back on Valentine's Day at Aston Villa, Barnsley are seemingly in tatters.

Rovers, meanwhile, have had a decent turnaround in form since Tony Mowbray took over from Owen Coyle. Our last two games ended in defeat and, even though we didn't expect to pick up points in either of them, the psychological effect could play a part in our confidence going into this match. Nevertheless, 2 defeats in 9 is a huge improvement on our form under the previous manager, especially considering the quality of opposition we've played against recently. Mowbray must surely be targeting a win here, and it's imperative that the last two games are put well and truly behind us.

Rovers info
Danny Graham, Corry Evans, and Adam Henley are sidelined. Sam Gallagher is one booking away from a suspension.

Barnsley info
Aidy White and Sessi D'Almeida are sidelined with injuries. Andy Yiadom is likely to return from injury.

My Prediction
Rovers surely have more about them at the moment than Barnsley, who are there for the taking. I'll go for a tight and scrappy 2-1 victory and a welcome three points.

Yes, Paul Heckingbottom has done a hecking good job keeping them off the bottom. :mellow:

We have a Barnsley ST holder in our Wakefield Office. When I first saw her BFC number plates I thought she was a dingle,  she survived and the potato in the exhaust pipe trick didn't happen. ;)

Barnsley are a team of fighters who are desperate to stay in the Championship.  On paper their players are no better than Rovers.  It is the attitude and fitness of their squad that make a difference.

2-2

7,000 (real gate)

Minds are heading out the door and other heads are too quick to the floor. Late heartbreaker Barnsley winner as the dingy men switch off yet again.

Rovers 1   Barnsley 2

This is a must win match and I see us getting it. We are pretty solid at home but I feel some drastic changes to the line up. Conway benched, and as much as I would like to bench Steele we need an older wiser head between the sticks and I don't putting Raya there is fair at this point in the season. 

I would go with

---------Steele----------

Nyambe--Hoban--Brown--Williams

Mahoney--Lowe--Guthrie--Feeney

-------------Emnes-------------

-----------Joao---------

It seems that when we do actually get a positive result lately, our rivals match or better it. 

I think, at a minimum,  9 points from our remaining games will just about do it. Provided 3 of those are in the Bristol game. 

We will find out a lot on Saturday about how much these players care about A-the team B-the fans and C-their professionalism. They need to be more pumped and fired up than a Barnsley team with nothing to play for. Anything less than that is unacceptable. I have my concerns about some of them, but hopefully I am proven wrong. 

• Moderation Lead

Lads/lasses- when starting a match thread, please can we check if a poster has signed up to do a preview first, then leave it to them? I've had to merge a couple of threads this week due to this.

Cheers! :brfc:

Archived