BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Right age for 1st game?

My son is starting to show an interest in football, but it seems everyone has a "my dad took me to Rovers as an small child and I hated it" story, so I don't want to put him off by taking him too soon. So what age did people take their kids to their first game and how did it work out? 

I see this dilemma allot not just with BRFC fans but in general.

My first game i was at Ibrox, Rangers vs Dundee, can't remember to much of the game itself these days but we won, i remember not really being interested in the football but but more of the day i got to spend out away from other siblings with my dad and i was around six. 

First meaningful game was when I was eleven, we played Southampton at Ewood. That was the game i enjoyed the most and understood what it was all about going to football and for me looking back the right age. I became all the more curious at the age of eight though when my older siblings used to go!

Aged 7. Late 70's. Heard the roar of the crowd as we arrived late off Bolton Road.  Heard another as we climbed the wooden steps to the seats. Saw my Dad shake his head as we got to our seats and he asked someone the score.

2 down at home to Notts County in the first ten minutes. This may be a false memory. We could have been 3 down:) 

Went down to the terracing near the end of the game on the way out. As I was lagging I looked like I was on my own so this old boy on the gate accused me of getting in for free. The place stunk of some strange tobacco. 

Think we lost 4-3 in the end.

Loved every minute.

I don't remember my first game - my Mum and Dad didn't make a big deal about it and we think I must have been maybe 3 or 4 ish so 77/8 ish. Mum took me on the Nuttall St side whilst Dad and the big bruv went on the Blackburn End. I think it might have been a spur of the moment, 'Do you think she's ready?' 'Yeah, OK,' moments. Either that or the grandparents were unexpectedly busy! I only remember maybe the next year or so being 5 ish and more interested in playing on the 'swingy bars' than having to concentrate on the match. By Junior school I remember graduating to the Blackburn End - to the far side away from any crushes or peeing blokes. And still having a swingy bar to play on! One of my first memories is having a tantrum probs late 70s when Mum dragged me n the bruv off home before the end of the match (regular occurrence - we sometimes walked through/got the bus at Mill Hill and Mum quite rightly wanted us little uns away from the post-match shenanigans) when I think we were drawing and Andy Crawford scored - massively audible quite a few streets away - queue shameful paddy from me for not letting me see the end - I'd learned his name and some chants by then. Poor Mum.

Zoom forward and me n the hubby didn't make massive big deals of our menaces' first matches. The boy one's now a die-hard Rovers fan but the girl one we lost after the bald one and he-who-shall-not-be-named spoiled it for her.

That's not much help, is it? All's I know is that you, Mrs Glenn and little Glenn will be most welcome when you decide the time's right. We'd love to see you x

• Backroom

Took my boy when he was 3 - he didn't mind it but thought the Stoke fans were too noisy.

He doesn't enjoy it now he's nearly 6 so think that will be it for a while 

• Backroom

My first match was in the title-winning season aged 4. I liked the blond haired man (Hendry) and asked why we weren't cheering (they scored, not us). My dad says I spent the whole game picking ticket stubs up around the Riverside stand.

Didn't go again til I was 8 (1999) and we got relegated (sorry guys), but you have Dunn and Duff (their names are funny, nearly the same, and my Dad raved about them) to thank for really getting me into footy.

My dad first took me to Stanley, aged 6, I think. Vague memories include being able to run around the entire ground, the Rossendale or Rochdale United goalie occasionally turning around and talking to fans behind the goal, and some old rug and flasker in a wheelchair with one of those wooden noise makers that you spin around, shouting "STANLEY FOR THE CUP"! Even at 6, I can remember enjoying that.

When I was 7 or 8, my dad thought I was ready for the rough and tumble of Rovers. I remember vague bits and bobs, and my earliest memory is seeing Chris Sulley close up at the front of the Riverside and telling my dad that he's got a face. I didn't think footballers had faces from that distance. Generally, though, I don't recall enjoying it. It was just the sitting down for almost two hours and watching, something I didn't have to do at Stanley. Playing at home with toy cars and muck was what I really wanted to do instead. 

That said, If my dad didn't persist on taking me, I wouldn't have the love for Rovers that I have today, or the love I developed for them just a few years later. Kids don't necessarily have to enjoy something to appreciate it later on. I'd say take them at 6, and persist with it if you can. Don't give up.

I took my eldest boy at four, by this time we also had a two year old and a heavily pregnant mother, so I was given two choices - take him or stay home!!!

Things have changed. I sat in Nuttall Street directly above the tunnel behind the 100 club members. When it had become available two seasons earlier I actually bought the ST for the seat next to me to ensure my lad got it - he was two at the time.

My son used to take a book and Thomas the Tank Engine. It worked OK and he remains a diehard. I've another boy who is a diehard but the youngest when 14 rebelled saying he hated football and after eight seasons of being taken wanted to stop!!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

My son used to take a book and Thomas the Tank Engine. 

So it is his fault the fat controller from Barnet appeared at Ewood, looking for Thomas :)

My Grandad took to me to my first game when I was 6 , maybe 7 but it was in the 72/73 season was hooked from then on. Took my Son around the same age , he was bored most of the game especially when the pop and snacks ran out, probably because he had to sit still and not run about, Rovers lost to Ipswich (91), think he lasted about 3 more games before deciding he didn't want to go and would rather stay at home with his mates.

Strangely decided to support Wigan when his interest in football re-appeared through playing and the only times he has been on Ewood since are when that lot are playing.

We lived far away and on a holiday at Gran's my Dad took me to my first game at Ewood in 1963. I was 11 but Dad had made me a Rover from a much earlier age - I can recall catching up with Rovers news via the radio and the back pages of the big daily papers. I remember being heaved over the wall and sat on a bench with other lads seeing Rovers 7 v Spurs 2.

My eldest boy has been a Rover since very young but his first game at Ewood was in 1984 aged 10 v Carlisle. It was my Sons 10th birthday and Mr Saxton had us meet the team in the dressing room pre-match. My Son is a Rover to this day.

Somehow my second Son has been a Spurs fan for years but I did try and took him to OT to the FA Cup semi in another conversion attempt.

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

So it is his fault the fat controller from Barnet appeared at Ewood, looking for Thomas :)

Quite possibly

As an aside is my recollection that an ST would have been about £5 correct? It doesn't sound anything like enough. This would have been the 90/91 season. 

12 hours ago, Glenn said:

My son is starting to show an interest in football, but it seems everyone has a "my dad took me to Rovers as an small child and I hated it" story, so I don't want to put him off by taking him too soon. So what age did people take their kids to their first game and how did it work out? 

Definatly wait until they are asking to go with you mate, too many people i see seem desperate to take there kids as soon as they can walk, which is pointless as they don't enjoy it and in my opinion is for the parents benefit not the kids.

I took my lad at 5, against Charlton season before last. He had shown a small interest prior to that, and had just started a football course at our local lesiure centre so was just about ready.

Nearly 2 years on he bloody loves it, we go to most saturday games but might miss a couple, important not to overload them with it i think at a young age as i dont want him getting bored of it.

He's really looking forward to it today, i'm not!

17 minutes ago, Steve1 said:

Took my daughter aged 5...she got bored and was only interested in the sweets and hotdogs ECT..took her back aged 8 and loves it.been going ever since..now nearly 12. All depends on the child.dont force and they will eventually make there own minds up 

Depressed hotdogs. I thought they tasted overcooked. :)

I took George on his first game when he was about 3 ish. He stick his fingers in his ears, as it was too loud. He got bored as he had no emotional investment in the result, and 90 minutes is a long time of ra three year old. It`s about 8% of their life at that stage. take loads of snacks, a gadget or get a bet on for him like last goal scorer so he has reason to be interested. 

Coincidentally I`m taking him on today for the first time in years now, since me and his mum split up. He`s become very interested in football again, I think through playing FIFA on his XBOX. Which is kinda weird way round. 

We`re going in DE to avoid the ear splitting noise of the Blackburn end today.

I always thought my first game was a random team like derby or someone but turns out it was the full members cup final when I 3 or 4. Don't recall any of it. My dad took me away from a family holiday (my mum wasn't best pleased to put it mildly so I'm told). It was so we could see rovers at Wembley for possibly the only time in my life. Think we played 3 other times in next decade.

First regular season ticket was when I was about 6 in the nuttall street stand. As a small child when I was being naughty my mum threatened to take all my toys to the tip and apparently I wasn't bothered in the slightest but the only thing that worked was to use not going to the football as a bargaining chip. Sad really 3 decades on couldn't pay me to go. 

15 hours ago, Glenn said:

My own experience was that the first couple of years were spent facing the opposite way to the pitch (the kids that is - although more recently anyone of any age would be forgiven).

Spot the ball - especially when it has gone out of play.

Goals help A LOT to generate interest so it's been a tough few years. The family stand being moved down to pitch side has really helped the kids interest this season. They feel more part of it.

Any youngster going to Rovers in the current situation deserves a medal - particularly when you consider the number of kids who 'support' City, United, Liverpool or even Arsenal.

My first game was against Utd when David Beckham scored that controversial free kick when he lobbed Friedel to draw 2 all n everyone when mental. I was nine but still remember the game, I also had the attention span to watch the game and knew what was going on. The rovers store had a field day that day, first game sure the fathers wallet was emptied haha great experience first game I was in my element.  when I look back I'm glad it was when I was a little older as I got full appreciation of the experience and nothing was wasted. I think the gate was 27-29k that day which added to it. 

I reckon about 6 or 7 is the best age to start going. My first game was a 0-0 draw at home to Tranmere I think in the late 60s, but my oldest son's first game was Lars Bohinen's debut at home to Southampton so he saw Shearer score. However, my younger son had the best start - his first three Rovers games went like this:

Rovers 3 Barcelona 2

Rovers 7 West Ham 1

Rovers 5 Newcastle 2

First season ticket aged 6. Although I shared it with my sister, front row of the Riverside, in the first 'R' of Rovers. 1993/94.

Remember missing a game as it was my turn to go, and I didn't fancy it. Played Newcastle at Ewood, won 1-0, David May scored in front of the Blackburn End.

In the Lancs Telegraph on Monday there was a picture of May scoring the winner, with a full crowd behind him, bar one empty seat on the front row where I was meant to be sitting! My dad laid on the guilt (Catholic upbringing) and I've rarely missed a match since!

I used to take a piece of A4 Paper and Pen and make my own programme. On the front the Two Teams and date, in the middle I'd write the teams and managers, kits, sponsors, boots etc. And on the Back I'd write the score and scorers. 

Happy memories.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, rog of the rovers said:

First season ticket aged 6. Although I shared it with my sister, front row of the Riverside, in the first 'R' of Rovers. 1993/94.

Remember missing a game as it was my turn to go, and I didn't fancy it. Played Newcastle at Ewood, won 1-0, David May scored in front of the Blackburn End.

In the Lancs Telegraph on Monday there was a picture of May scoring the winner, with a full crowd behind him, bar one empty seat on the front row where I was meant to be sitting! My dad laid on the guilt (Catholic upbringing) and I've rarely missed a match since!

I used to take a piece of A4 Paper and Pen and make my own programme. On the front the Two Teams and date, in the middle I'd write the teams and managers, kits, sponsors, boots etc. And on the Back I'd write the score and scorers. 

Happy memories.

My first game was that very game against Newcastle!

I took both my sons when they were about 11. One spent the whole game ( 4-0 v Wolves, when we would have been promoted if City would have lost that day ) staring around the ground and never wanted to go again. The other really took to it ( 1-1 v Brighton, last game of the season ) and has been a real fan ever since.

A friend of my dad's took me at the age of 12. We played poorly and lost 2-1 to Sheffield Utd but I was hooked.

My first game was Wigan v Chesterfield in the old third division in 93. Wigan won one nil and Andy lions scored a header. I was 6ish at the time. Bar remembering the goal and scored I spent most of the time playing tag with my friend around the stands. I remember feeling like it was an eternity to the final whistle and had no desire to go back. On my 8th or 9th birthday April 96 I think. We played arsenal at ewood. Gallagher scored first and Ian wright equalises from the spot with 15 to go. I remember every second of that day and fell in love with rovers even more. I begged my dad every week to take me after that. I'm having the same dilemma with my little girl . She's 3 and some Saturdays I can't go because I have her. I thought about taking her next season but like people say it's easy to put kids off if they don't show their own interest and have the attention span to watch at least most of the game. Better to wait a few seasons I think and wait until they ask you to take them whilst encouraging them that rovers are the world's greatest. When I went those was 26000 on against a good arsenal side. Can't imagine how hard it's going to be to convince young kids to watch Doncaster with a crowd of 7000. Good luck to all parents out their

I first went when i was about 6-7 (1978/79ish) step dad had just got with my mum and took me, stood in BBE and spent most of the game playing with another young lad at the front near the massive puddle that accumulated  at the front. Only to watch the remainder of the game after we scored ( dunno who we played ).

Id say about 7 is the right age as thats when they usually start playing football for their school team etc.

I was 8 when I went to mine (Celtic). My Dad waited until I was old enough to be properly interested in football,and for me to ask him to take me with him rather than taking me to something I wasn't going to like. Went to my first Rovers game about a year later for my 9th birthday present.

Been going home and away ever since then so that approach obviously worked, and I plan to do the same with my son but he only turns 3 this year so will probably be a while away yet.

Archived