BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Nottingham Forest Away

What a great day, 3 massive points that keeps us in it. Raya didn't have a great deal to do but when called upon was excellent. Held onto a free kick well and pulled out a blinder of a save late on.

Hoban looked a completely different player today than against Barnsley - not only for his goal, but in defence he was solid as a rock. I suspect this is due to being partnered with Ward (who was very solid himself) rather than the prehistoric Wes Brown.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Not being funny but I was genuinely delighted when I saw the result. (I'm away).

I must still care.

Really hope we play like today on Monday - and not like we did against Barnsley.

This is my favourite bit of your post and all fans could do with remembering it. Boycotter/Protester/100clubber or whatever, we ALL care.

just back from Nottingham. Great day out. A match to remember for the result not the football but today that was all that mattered

Just before the goal I commented how I thought Mowbray had got it all wrong- 1 up front no threat, Forest happy to play out a draw and all we did was prod it around midfield

Then the goal arrived and Tony is a Genius!. Once that went in I was always confident. Great celebrations.

To be fair Forest were awful and I can see them panicking now - hope so anyway.

Also of note - the Forest fans singing Mull of Kintyre - got to be the worst football song ever - but made me laugh.

Where there was no hope there is now!

Just now, Mercer said:

and fans still think we are done for.  Absolutely unbelievable nonsense.  We WONT go down.

Hope you're right Merce but today was our first win in 7 and now we have to win 2 from 4 to have a chance. Why is it nonsense to think we might go down?

Fair play to Mowbray. He rolled the dice, shook up the team, and grinded out a result when most needed, although it sounds like it wasn't the most assertive of victories. With Brum (on a nightmare run, even failed to pick up their "given" 3 points against Rotherham) and Burton still having to play each other we could possibly even afford to draw against Bristol and "just" beat two of the teams that haven't got anything to play for, i.e Villa, Wolves and Brentford, and still have a decent chance to stay up. Still a massive task for a team in our general situation, but at least we're still in it. Key points will be to stick with Raya, avoid injuries and suspensions on our precious few competent defenders, and to get one of our strikers to fire again. They all picked the absolute worst moment of the season to go into a goal drought. 

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Hope you're right Merce but today was our first win in 7 and now we have to win 2 from 4 to have a chance. Why is it nonsense to think we might go down?

Just look at the fixtures of all those in danger.

By Monday night, we will be out of the bottom three.  In two weeks time, fans will realise it was just a bad dream.

On today's match I won £70 (net of incorrect score and first goal scorer)  and tonight I've placed that on Rovers to stay up at evens; I am that confident.

How many people on here have been calling for RAYA sounds like he had a good game,others said no time to throw in a youngster,end of the day your good enough your old enough,look at the davis guy at everton?Next season whatever division we are in,its time to play the young uns,these loan signings blow hot and cold.

Just now, Mercer said:

Just look at the fixtures of all those in danger.

By Monday night, we will be out of the bottom three.  In two weeks time, fans will realise it was just a bad dream.

On today's match I won £70 (net of incorrect score and first goal scorer)  and tonight I've placed that on Rovers to stay up at evens; I am that confident  drunk.

;)

I went yesterday. Cracking day out. Special mention for Elliot Ward. Considering he hasn't played all season I thought he played very well. 

I also think Elliot Bennett is a bit of an unsung hero - his work rate is great. 

I believe Birmingham could be the team to go down. I had been saying this prior to our shocking performance against Barnsley. They failed to take maximum points in their free hit against Rotherham, they are on a disastrous run and reports of infighting amongst their players post match. 

1 hour ago, david brent said:

I went yesterday. Cracking day out. Special mention for Elliot Ward. Considering he hasn't played all season I thought he played very well. 

I also think Elliot Bennett is a bit of an unsung hero - his work rate is great. 

I believe Birmingham could be the team to go down. I had been saying this prior to our shocking performance against Barnsley. They failed to take maximum points in their free hit against Rotherham, they are on a disastrous run and reports of infighting amongst their players post match. 

Was going to say the same thing regarding Ward, to not play all season and come in and look as comfortable as he did is brilliant. Agree on Bennett, my favourite player.

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

and fans still think we are done for.  Absolutely unbelievable nonsense.  We WONT go down.

I think you need to go and see someone.

Such overconfidence in our current situation isn't admirable, it's arrogant and foolish.

One game at a time.

It is pretty grim being a Blue these days, so you have to enjoy days like yesterday.

Few beers beforehand in Uttoxeter, which was teeming with Sheffield United fans on the way to their promotion party at Port Vale. 6 long years they'd been down there- all the while with usually the biggest crowds in the league. League 1 will be horrendous, so to put it off for at least another day is a small mercy.

Much improved performance, the switch in formation made us look much more solid, with assured performances from Raya and Ward- what may have been if he'd have started last week.

Forest looked poor, Birmingham are collapsing and Burton just can't pull away- it's all to play for.

• Glenn unpinned this topic

Very good win yestetday.

Mowbray got the team to be solid and organised. I was surprise by us playing 3-4-2-1 formation that we played but it worked. Every player did well in the shape and defensively. Thought Gallagher and Feeney were poor attacking wise. 

Ward was very good as was Hoban and Nyambe. Both played very different to the week before. Probably down to him organising and Brown not good enough. Bennett outstanding. Raya was solid, calm and confidence. Made a great save to get us the 3 points. Should be number 1 now from now on.

Mahoney produced a great cross for the header for the Hoban goal. 

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I think you need to go and see someone.

Such overconfidence in our current situation isn't admirable, it's arrogant and foolish.

One game at a time.

Yes I moaned at him over this Gung-ho, complacent over-optimism. Mercer has been saying for months that we should relax, we were perfectly safe, we would avoid relegation 

'easily". He accused me of "negativism"! Yet we have been in the bottom three for about 99% of the season and still in real danger with only 4 games to go!

If we avoid relegation somehow and Mercerman then claims he got it right all along I'll combust!

Now that the dust has settled I think Tony Mowbray deserves a massive pat on the back for yesterday's result.

I didn't go against Barnsley but spoke to plenty who did, and to a man, and one woman, they all agreed that the players had given up the fight, hit rock bottom and relegation was a certainty. 

But clearly one man hadn't given up, one man spent the last week doing what good managers should do and get a reaction from the bunch of over paid pre-Madonnas mascarading as Blackburn Rovers players.

That was a tremendous result yesterday, Tony Mowbray take a bow, you've given us hope again when we had non (Mercer aside) :P

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good win yestetday.

Mowbray got the team to be solid and organised. I was surprise by us playing 3-4-2-1 formation that we played but it worked. Every player did well in the shape and defensively. Thought Gallagher and Feeney were poor attacking wise. 

Ward was very good as was Hoban and Nyambe. Both played very different to the week before. Probably down to him organising and Brown not good enough. Bennett outstanding. Raya was solid, calm and confidence. Made a great save to get us the 3 points. Should be number 1 now from now on.

Mahoney produced a great cross for the header for the Hoban goal. 

To be honest chaddy, I didn't see it as a 3-4-2-1 system.  Seemed a normal back four with Mahoney, Lowe Akpan and Feeney in the midfield and Bennett playing in the hole behind Gallagher.  Second half he switched Mahoney and Bennett and although Stokes came on to partner Gallagher at one point, Stokes tended to operate more on the left of midfield for much of the time, helping out defensively.  Agree that Mowbray got it spot on yesterday and the changes worked with Raya and Ward being excellent.  I thought Bennett was terrific in both positions he was asked to play.

Archived