BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Wolves Away: 22nd April / (plus Villa vs Big Club)

A slightly alternative preview made up of memories and other meanderings of a man reaching his prime old age.

My Dad was a headmaster for 4 years in one of those new fangled comprehensive schools in Penn on the outskirts of Wolverhampton; he then moved to Lancashire to take up a headship in Chorley, we lived in Euxton then Leyland and this was when he introduced me to the Rovers although we also went to Deepdale and Burnley on occasions.

He set up the inter-schools athletics tournament in Wolverhampton as well as a Jazz appreciation society; hence we made a few visits back to Wolverhampton to meet his old friends.  The lady next door I called Mrs Tortoise for obvious reasons, she also had a parrot that sweared a lot in a horrid midlands accent such as "wur us me bluddy tay woman", she (Mrs Tortoise, not the parrot)  was also a Wolves ST holder and we occasionally went together on my visits back to Penn.

This was they heyday of the likes of The Doog, Derek Doogan, who famously shaved his head when a Rovers player and was the first skinhead although they called him 'Cheyenne' at the time because Doc Martins and braces had not been thought of.  He also handed in a transfer request the night before our 60's FA Cup final v Wolves.  Rovers fans never forgave him for that although I always remember him as a fantastic no9 which brilliant heading ability....he became a legend at Wolves alongside other greats such as England Captain Billy Wright and the wonderfully skilful John Richards.

Molineux is a ground I have always enjoyed, indeed I have some golden yellow roses by the same name :huh: The away fans now sit / stand in the lower tier of what was known as the Cowshed, a wonderfully named wooden stand with a scallop effect roof.

I have some interesting memories of the ground.  When at merchant navy college in Liverpool I went with some Liverpool supporting mates to watch an end of season game with Liverpool looking to win the old Division 1.  We did not have tickets but hey hoe (btw Rachel Heyhoe Flint who was the pioneer of Womens' cricket, and led the England team for many years was a famous Wolves fan....she sadly died recently) we walked in as the Liverpool fans has smashed the South Bank gates to pieces; I also sadly witnessed some horrible hooliganism when some 'wonderful'Liverpool fans decided to lift up a 3-wheel disability car, with the man inside, and park his car on its side behind a garden wall with the man trapped inside :angry:.

More recently I was promised a free pie by the Venkys when Rovers had the end of season crucial game when both sides faced relegation from the Premiership; both teams survived and I am still waiting for my pie.

On the 22nd I will travel in hope.  In hope of 3 points, I can't be bothered with pies too much these days.  I will visit a decent real ale pub called The Posada, Lichfield Street which is on the way from the railway station to the ground.  I may even bump into a couple of Wolves fans from London who I work with.

PS.  Sadly The Doog is no longer with us.  I would like to hear the opinions of some of the older fans on the 1960 incident and the impact on our players and performance on Cup Final day. 

IMG_0081.JPG

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks preston blue, that was a really good read.

My Dad was at the Final and he never forgot or  forgave Dougan for the transfer request or for playing whilst carrying an injury.

Wolves were the top club at that time but Rovers were a good Cup side.

Dad always said Dougan was by far the worst player on the pitch and that we played with 10 men in the first half and then with 9 after the Whelan injury.

Years later I met with 2 Rovers Legends who more or less confirmed Dad's view. One said it was Dougan himself who passed himself fit to play on the Final and that Rovers poor performance that day was still a big regret.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I remember winning 3-0 against them in the last game of Keans first season. So anything is possible. 

You remember wrong, it was 2-3, etched on all Rovers fans minds I'm sure, surprised you'd forgotten :rolleyes:

As for this seasons game, good read PB, 

We'll not win away at Wolves, I went last season, what a terrible game, glad someone else bought my ticket

2 - 0

Just now, Gav said:

You remember wrong, it was 2-3, etched on all Rovers fans minds I'm sure, surprised you'd forgotten :rolleyes:

We'll not win away at Wolves, I went last season, what a terrible game, glad someone else bought my ticket

2 - 0

Yes it was  the home game we won 3-0 earlier in that season.

Just now, Gav said:

2 - 0

What are the eyes to heaven about? 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Indeed it was and the sages of Ewood Park thought that was an unacceptable scoreline and thought a right good booing was in order.

Good job Keano came in to show us the light.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Indeed it was and the sages of Ewood Park thought that was an unacceptable scoreline and thought a right good booing was in order.

Good job Keano came in to show us the light.

Didn't know that. Booing at a 3-0 win. I always said the critisism of Big Sam by fans played into the hands behind Keans puppet strings. Mind you the OT match the week before didn't help Sam.

36 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The last game of Keans first season he said, not the home game, free pie gate, but we digress.

Just now, Gav said:

The last game of Keans first season he said, not the home game, free pie gate, but we digress.

Yes I knew he'd made a mistake or confused. I was about to post and correct blueboy but you beat me to it.

Edit: the yes at the start of my previous post was in agreement with you. 

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

You haven't caught the dreaded paranoia plague too?

Genuine typo.

I recall typing it and not looking back to check the original poster. My silly mistake.

Maybe due to the bloody heat here yesterday at 42C shade.

What do you mean by paranoia plague?

Derek Dougan is the ONLY ex-Rovers player I have never forgiven and I absolutely abhor. For what he did to the club in 1960 is completely unforgivable.

You can have your Best, Etuhu, Orr etc. but none of them damaged the club and disrespected the fans as much as that man.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Actually this is a game where Rovers might just come away with a positive result.

Will be a difficult one.  Lambert will be really fired up hoping to rub our owners' noses in it.

• Glenn changed the title to Next Game: Wolves Away: 22nd April
  • Glenn pinned this topic

Haha, I remember those £15 vouchers that Venky's gave us at Wolves away. It was crazy, before the game there were massive queues for the food vendors, me and my dad used our £15 each and bought like 2 pies and 2 drinks each or something crazy, it was great! Then at half time there was practically no-one buying from the vendors as there was no food left :D It contributed to one of the best away day experiences I have had. 

Just now, TurkishDelightFan said:

Haha, I remember those £15 vouchers that Venky's gave us at Wolves away. It was crazy, before the game there were massive queues for the food vendors, me and my dad used our £15 each and bought like 2 pies and 2 drinks each or something crazy, it was great! Then at half time there was practically no-one buying from the vendors as there was no food left :D It contributed to one of the best away day experiences I have had. 

It is greedy buggers like you who left me pieless.  I will not forget TDF ;)

The only thing predictable about football is its unpredictability.

How many football betting slips are torn up in frustration as the 'banker' home fails!?!?

Wolves will be tough - absolutely no doubt.

Who gave us a prayer against Newcastle twice, who would have thought we'd deny Huddersfield twice - all under Coyle as well.

Wolves will start strong favourites but to write Rovers off would be premature and foolhardy.

Too early to call for me.  Let's wait and see what sort of stuff comes out of Brockhall in the next few days first.

Archived