BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Wolves Away: 22nd April / (plus Villa vs Big Club)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think Conway would be good left wing back. I would also go for Emnes up front with Joao. We need some flair up front. 

Con ways stamina is poor but I can't face watching Williams and I think we need battlers on the pitch and Conway is one of those. Ideally we'd have an olsson there 

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dunnfc said:

Con ways stamina is poor but I can't face watching Williams and I think we need battlers on the pitch and Conway is one of those. Ideally we'd have an olsson there 

Either one of them would be sweet! 

Ya, true with Conway. He is passionate and works hard, that's what we need. I just think a lot to do as wing back and as you correctly point out, stamina could be an issue. 

Looking back Conway could have been more useful in Feeneys position last week. His shooting alone would have been a threat. 

My line up is on the basis that our injuries are available for Sat

Raya

Ward Mulgrew Lenihan 

Bennett.                                   Conway

.          Feeney Lowe Guthrie

.              Graham Emnes

lowe will sit whilst Feeney and Guthrie are driving the ball forward, Conway won't last 90 mins but if he can break his balls for 60 mins up n down the right I'd prefer him to Williams, I'd like to see Mahoney come off the bench again as he's more of a threat at the end of a game and perhaps either Joao or Gallagher to come on if Graham's legs begin to tire

2 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Big thing is do you play Mulgrew in midfield or at the back I'd go with him and Guthrie in the middle with  darragh and ward at the back 

The way we've been leaking goals in the first half I'd maybe start him centre back n see how it goes he can always be moved up in the second half if things are stale in Midfield 

8 minutes ago, Irishrover213 said:

Big thing is do you play Mulgrew in midfield or at the back I'd go with him and Guthrie in the middle with  darragh and ward at the back 

Usually I'd agree but given he's returning from injury (again) I'd put him at the back where he doesn't have to be as mobile. Pushing Darragh into CM in replacement of Captain Fantstic and alongside Guthrie would be my preference but we all know he cannot be dropped. 

....................Raya

Nyambe Hoban Mulgrew Williams

.......Lenihan Guthrie Bennett

Feeney                              Emnes

.....................Joao

Thinking about Conway for Emnes as he's a liability defensively, but Emnes clearly gives more in attack.

Give the ball to Guthrie and let him dictate the pace of the game.

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

To be fair to Lenihan and Mulgrew the fact that they've managed to get themselves fit again in such a short period of time and want to play is what we need character wise. Mulgrew is definitely our leader and will lift the whole side when he comes back in. He's not shy in putting a challenge I reckon they will definitely have a positive influence if they come back in. 

Agreed. Not like that p*ss taker Corry Evans.

If lowe is to be played it must be at right back to counter act the attacking prowess of Marshall. Watching Wolves highlights it is clear that he is the provider of the ammo for the forwards and midfield. Cut him off and they are a bit toothless.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

If lowe is to be played it must be at right back to counter act the attacking prowess of Marshall. Watching Wolves highlights it is clear that he is the provider of the ammo for the forwards and midfield. Cut him off and they are a bit toothless.

He better not have a good game... 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He better not have a good game... 

Usually I'd be disappointed in a player who left the club for another in a similar situation but in this case you can't really blame Marshall they failed to offer him a half decent contract and I think they just want to sell him n take what they could get for him. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Either one of them would be sweet! 

Ya, true with Conway. He is passionate and works hard, that's what we need. I just think a lot to do as wing back and as you correctly point out, stamina could be an issue. 

Looking back Conway could have been more useful in Feeneys position last week. His shooting alone would have been a threat. 

Why is Feeney?

2 hours ago, JonnyP said:

My line up is on the basis that our injuries are available for Sat

Raya

Ward Mulgrew Lenihan 

Bennett.                                   Conway

.          Feeney Lowe Guthrie

.              Graham Emnes

lowe will sit whilst Feeney and Guthrie are driving the ball forward, Conway won't last 90 mins but if he can break his balls for 60 mins up n down the right I'd prefer him to Williams, I'd like to see Mahoney come off the bench again as he's more of a threat at the end of a game and perhaps either Joao or Gallagher to come on if Graham's legs begin to tire

Rovers problem summed up in red. A midfield with no technique  or creative spark.

The reason we passed the ball around the back so much and then eventually out of play against Bristol City was because there was no option to go through the middle.

I'd try and get creative with getting Bennett and Mulgrew in there somehow. Mulgrew is the only player we have in a tight midfield who can turn away and make himself a bit of space to go forward. The problem at centre half is he sometimes gets caught in possession trying it.

Seems pointless changing the goalie after two decent games.

Wouldn't start with Mulgrew unless 100% ready for a full game, but would be happy bringing him in to shore up defence if we have a lead to protect. Would hope he is fully fit for last two games.

Prefer Guthrie to Akpan starting.

Redknapp does not have a fantastic record over first 3 games. Let's hope Bristol still have to get something from last game as I can't see Big Club winning against Villa or Huddersfield.

Just now, Hullrover said:

Seems pointless changing the goalie after two decent games.

Wouldn't start with Mulgrew unless 100% ready for a full game, but would be happy bringing him in to shore up defence if we have a lead to protect. Would hope he is fully fit for last two games.

Prefer Guthrie to Akpan starting.

Redknapp does not have a fantastic record over first 3 games. Let's hope Bristol still have to get something from last game as I can't see Big Club winning against Villa or Huddersfield.

We could do with Fulham winning (or certainly not losing) at Huddersfield on Saturday. That way Huddersfield will still be looking over their shoulders when they face Birmingham

Probably too late to start messing with the system at this stage, especially as we've picked up 4 points from 6. Always wondered why we haven't tried a 4-3-3 this season though, it would give us an extra body in midfield and would mean we don't have to select from a very poor bunch of wide midfielders (Mahoney has potential, I'll admit).

Raya

Nyambe Hoban Ward Williams

Lowe  Guthrie Bennett

Emnes                   Gallagher

Graham

I'd prefer that to the 4-4-1-1 we've been playing.

How are tickets selling?

Can I still get one?

Then again memories of last season are still etched on my mind, has to be the worse game of football I'm seen in many an away match, Lowe had a good game though :P

Just now, Hasta said:

Rovers problem summed up in red. A midfield with no technique  or creative spark.

The reason we passed the ball around the back so much and then eventually out of play against Bristol City was because there was no option to go through the middle.

I'd try and get creative with getting Bennett and Mulgrew in there somehow. Mulgrew is the only player we have in a tight midfield who can turn away and make himself a bit of space to go forward. The problem at centre half is he sometimes gets caught in possession trying it.

Yeah I know what you mean but I think Gutherie has better distribution than Akpan, I put Bennett wide because Nyambe has been caught out quite a bit recently n I'd rather a bit more experience there. I'm not a huge fan of Feeney but i think he can do a job there and Lowe isn't going to be dropped. I think he will change the formation through out the game.

its actually very hard to pick rovers first 11 and the formation because there so inconsistent and we spend half the time trying to fill the gaps in positions that we are so weak in. Our full backs aren't great and we don't have an out and out right winger and our midfield as you said is very uncreative. Mulgrew and Lenihan were the only two that were stable starters (other than Lowe) until they got injured and throw everything up in the air again

Huddersfield have done us over repeatedly this season with terrible results against our rivals. Recent defeats to Burton, Bristol City, Forest and Wigan. It would be no surprise if they rolled over against Birmingham with a play-off spot virtually assured and automatic likely to be too much to ask.

I'd go

--------------- Raya

--------Ward Lenihan Hoban

Bennett -------------------- Conway

-------Guthrie Lowe Mulgrew

----------Graham Emnes

almost identical to JohnnyP's, but Mulgrew in midfield in place of Feeney, with Hoban at centre half

Archived