BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Bristol City Easter Monday

Paul

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given what relegation might mean for the future and very existence of the Club and Academy etc you might argue Mondays game is the most important to be staged at Ewood since VE day in 1995.

As Paul correctly says, nothing but a win will do then we will have given ourselves a real chance

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Given what relegation might mean for the future and very existence of the Club and Academy etc you might argue Mondays game is the most important to be staged at Ewood since VE day in 1995.

As Paul correctly says, nothing but a win will do then we will have given ourselves a real chance

And that is why for this game I am breaking my home boycott of buying tickets.  I am desperate for us to win.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whatever happens to the future and existence of the club won't be determined at all by relegation. 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Whatever happens to the future and existence of the club won't be determined at all by relegation. 

That's simply not true. If we are relegated it could have a huge impact on our survival as a club. There is a significant difference between being a Championship club and one in Division 1.

Just now, Paul said:

That's simply not true. If we are relegated it could have a huge impact on our survival as a club. There is a significant difference between being a Championship club and one in Division 1.

Not that much, the downgrading will continue till it becomes sustainable at that level or a lesser loss achieved than at the moment. 

Think of it this way in League One, They can have 20 Ryan Nyambe's, Darragh Lenihan, Connor Mahoneys at say 4k-5k per week, the wage bill suddenly falls in line more respectively. 100k per week roughly over the cost of 52 weeks is around 5.2 million, not to dissimilar from clubs at that level anyways so allows the club to assist with breaking even. As you know there is no Venky investment going forwards so either way Championship or League one this is there plan and has been Cheston's all along. Cries now of gates and not being competitive at this level etc is just him softening the blow before ensuring this "Youth" plan gets more backing and remains unhighlighted until he's slipped it in and has it fully operational.

Do you not see it? This is why Mike cheston gave the power point on youth and made such a ploy on how many academy graduates had made appearances compared to last season. Every interview done by anyone connected with the club including Mowbrays first speech is about the "Youth". 

The threat to the existence of the club isn't whether we are championship or league one it's the situation ever present in the accounts and the continued ownership by Venkys. Whether we are league one or the championship we will have the exact same issues regardless.

Perhaps you can offer an explanation in your opinion at why you think it would be harmful to the existence?

Just now, Paul said:

I couldn't disagree more Paul, you could have a point if we found ourselves on a level playing field, but under the current ownership staying up or going down makes not the blindest bit of difference in my opinion.

Its a race to the bottom and they couldn't care less about who they destroy along the way.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Look, I know you must be gutted that Hoban's late winner interrupted your hilarity fest at our expense but as the old saying goes "Don't be a **** all your life, take a day off."

I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty that we'll survive Venky's period of ownership but you know as well as the next person there's a lot better chance of that happening either under the current or new owners if we never drop below Championship level.

Go out and have a few beers tonight. Enjoy the Bank Holiday. There may be plenty to moan about again by5p.m. Monday.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

Relegation from the PL is extremely costly and puts a lot of clubs in the danger zone, - but there are always four years of parachute money and the probability that you might be able to hang onto some of your better players, - so you've got a chance.

relegation to league one really is going to the land of the dead. No player worth his salt will drop down to that level. It's a massively bad place to be and you're miles from the big time. No money, no income, no quality, no fans. It's like starting from scratch.  You two are right, we really don't want to be down there.

Even I might go down there on Monday, but that depends on other people.

We have been here before.

Win a crunch game against the odds.

Completely mess up the chance to consolidate on the win....

An absolute must win not because of where Bristol City are but because of where we are. Just hope PNE didn't take our ration of goals against Bristol City.

• Glenn changed the title to Next Game: Bristol City Easter Monday

Vital game this. Win and we drag them in as well. Hopefully Cardiff can do us a favor and a few other results swing our way as well. However, we really have to focus on ourselves, and ensure that we get the win. We can't depend on other results, only our own ones 

We need anyone who cares about the club, and who can be there, to get down to Ewood on Monday to support the team. 

Today I didnt hear one chant of Venkys Out, the fans were 100% behind the team and were rewarded with a fantastic result. So regardless of what we think of our tight Indian owners we can make a big difference by giving the team our support. 

BTW I'll be on a flight to a badly planned holiday and gutted to be missing the game. ☹️

I volunteered to do a preview of this match. Not sure if it's still needed but here it is, apologies if it's too long and boring.

Easter Monday 17th April home v Bristol City

Todays win at Nottingham Forest was extremely welcome and gives us hope of a great escape. They are all 6 pointers now and we simply must beat Bristol City.

I confess that I know nothing about The Robins but google tells me that they hold (jointly) the record for the most consecutive wins 14 in the 2nd Division 1905/06. In 1907 they finished runners up in Division One and that remains their highest finish. I believe that they also hold the unenviable record of the longest spell of league football without regaining top flight status. They appeared in one FA Cup Final, 1909 where they lost 1-0 to Man Utd. In 1982 they became the first English club to suffer three consecutive relegations when they fell into the 4th Division and were declared bankrupt.

BCFC (1982) Ltd acquired the club's player contracts and the 7 most senior and highest paid players agreed to the termination of their contracts for half pay, it is alleged that Danny Murphy wasn’t one of the seven. The club failed to pay their debts to many local businesses and struggled to gain further credit because of the ill feeling towards them. It’s good to see a football club come back from near extinction. Their most notable player is arguably John Atyeo.

Two Rovers records were set against The Robins, Highest number of goals scored by a player in one match - Tommy Briggs, 7 v Bristol Rovers, Ewood Park, Division 2, February 5th 1955 and the youngest palyer ever to appear for Rovers was Harry Dennison, aged 16yrs, 155 days v Bristol City (h) Division 1, 8th April 1911

Players who have played for both Rovers and City include Frank Fielding, Derrick Williams, Elliot Bennett, Bradley Orr (boo, hiss), Andy Cole and Jason Roberts.

Head to head Rovers have won 14 drawn 10 and lost 17

I’ve been to most clubs home grounds but never to Ashton Gate. The last time I watched Rovers play City was 22nd November 1969 when we drew 3-3. Rovers team (according to the program) Blacklaw, Kopel, Wilson, Hunter, Mulvaney, Knighton, Connelly, Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Darling. Prior to the match Rovers were second in division two. Can anyone help me out with the scorers that day?

I always get predictions wrong so am going for a 2-1 loss with the winning goal coming late in the game. COYB!

17 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I volunteered to do a preview of this match. Not sure if it's still needed but here it is, apologies if it's too long and boring.

Todays win at Nottingham Forest was extremely welcome and gives us hope of a great escape. They are all 6 pointers now and we simply must beat Bristol City.

I confess that I know nothing about The Robins but google tells me that they hold (jointly) the record for the most consecutive wins 14 in the 2nd Division 1905/06. In 1907 they finished runners up in Division One and that remains their highest finish. I believe that they also hold the unenviable record of the longest spell of league football without regaining top flight status. They appeared in one FA Cup Final, 1909 where they lost 1-0 to Man Utd. In 1982 they became the first English club to suffer three consecutive relegations when they fell into the 4th Division and were declared bankrupt.

BCFC (1982) Ltd acquired the club's player contracts and the 7 most senior and highest paid players agreed to the termination of their contracts for half pay, it is alleged that Danny Murphy wasn’t one of the seven. The club failed to pay their debts to many local businesses and struggled to gain further credit because of the ill feeling towards them. It’s good to see a football club come back from near extinction. Their most notable player is arguably John Atyeo.

Two Rovers records were set against The Robins, Highest number of goals scored by a player in one match - Tommy Briggs, 7 v Bristol Rovers, Ewood Park, Division 2, February 5th 1955 and the youngest palyer ever to appear for Rovers was Harry Dennison, aged 16yrs, 155 days v Bristol City (h) Division 1, 8th April 1911

Players who have played for both Rovers and City include Frank Fielding, Derrick Williams, Elliot Bennett, Bradley Orr (boo hiss), Andy Cole and Jason Roberts.

I’ve been to most clubs home grounds but never to Ashton Gate. The last time I watched Rovers play City was 22nd November 1969 when we drew 3-3. Rovers team (according to the program) Blacklaw, Kopel, Wilson, Hunter, Mulvaney, Knighton, Connelly, Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Darling. Prior to the match Rovers were second in division two. Can anyone help me out with the scorers that day?

I always get predictions wrong so am going for a 2-1 loss with the winning goal coming late in the game. COYB!

Not normally one for pedantry, but surely you mean Bradley Whore?

Edit; Boo @#/? hiss

I still cringe hearing the name Bradley Orr. Another useless gobshite arsehole Steve Kean and Jerome made a millionaire.

When I think about it we've turned more talentless human beings into millionaires than the national lottery. 

• Backroom

Today was must win, we managed to do it, on to Monday which is now even bigger as we have half a chance.

Expect nothing, hope for everything.

Potentially a 3 point swing over Burton today is massive if they don't turn it around tonight. We could be back within one game of climbing above them 

Just now, JohnD said:

Players who have played for both Rovers and City include Frank Fielding, Derrick Williams, Elliot Bennett, Bradley Orr (boo, hiss), Andy Cole and Jason Roberts.

Darling, Rogers, Martin pen.

Archived