BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brfcc.. A new start?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Assume this is a swipe at me. There weren't any "insults" in your brief foray on to the Brexit forum if I recall. You're welcome to have a another go on the thread anytime - only this time don't run away when your arguments  get demolished.

You don't make arguments, just personal insults. You have such a closed mind it's untrue. You aren't able to listen to devil's advocate position, you just take "swipes" at people who don't follow your belligerent views.

Exhibit 5425:

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm very touched that you seem to need to reply to my every post but the day you gave up "moderating" on here was a boon to the whole board. A clear case of over-promotion.

Just now, J*B said:

Happy to record and edit a one off 'season review' podcast for you @Glenn as a test of interest. It would be great to have a less formal and structural podcast, as these are the ones that seem to last on the iTunes Store. 'The football ramble' is a great reference. The BRFCS ones went very a->b->c towards the end. Requires a charismatic and opinionated presenter though! 

Lots of changes in technology now too would mean that the old way of recording and editing the podcast are redundant. As long as everyone has Skype and smart phone now it shouldn't take any editing. 

Just after the Legends game (when I thought live broadcasts were going to be a regular thing) I wrote a system that allowed you to host a show using google hangouts, stream live over YouTube and then have the show avaiable on both YouTube and iTunes in both video and audio-only versions with minimal work.

..... and I'll take you up on that offer, assuming we can find some "on air talent" to do it too (I have some suggestions for that if you want them)

Just now, Stuart said:

You don't make arguments, just personal insults. You have such a closed mind it's untrue. You aren't able to listen to devil's advocate position, you just take "swipes" at people who don't follow your belligerent views.

Exhibit 5425:

Second and final reminder (I know it's only your first on the subject Stuart), this isn't the place for this, take it to PMs please.

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Some of the stuff I'm proudest off didn't involve the forums, The Turkish Fans 5-A-Side (and other fans internationals we organised), the regular meetups at away games and annual get-together in Blues, the podcast @Wen Y Hu and @Kamy100 did. some of the best investigative journalism on Rovers related stories @Kamy did, the history section that @FourLaneBlue and @cn174, @den's amazing "greatest ever team" (ok that happened on the forum), the Witton Park 5-A-Side (which reminds me, if anyone has a 5-A-Side team or wants to put one together, that's happy to represent us, let me know), the custom pin badges @Paul did, the work getting the BRFCS flag at sporting events the world round that @JPW and @Ste B did, the sportsman dinner that @thenonda organised, the social media stuff @john.leigh used to do, the T-Shirts @perthblue02 used to design, the coffin ceremony @EwoodDawn@bob fleming@Pauland @Ozz organised, @bob fleming's brilliant diary, the annual awards ceremony, @Ozz's gallery, the online poker tournaments, the live video reporting from the Legends game that @J*B and Anna did, the live audio stream of the first Trust meeting we did and of course @Parsonblue's excellent match reports  .... the list goes on and on.

Now, I'd dearly love to resurrect any or all of those, or implement a million other ideas we have, but I'm just one man and none of the above would be possible with me alone. I'd love for those people to come back and say "hey, Glenn, sure, lets do it again", but I'm aware that site has changed a lot since then and I've very guilty of neglect, so I have a lot of rebuilding of trust to do first. 

So for my, it's just a very very small team, with a simple short term plan and a big long term one.

Much of what you've posted involves the forum. And others seem to be example of great endeavours to advertise the site.

Taking a broad look at the things you pointed out, it seems that you want to get people "off the page" and involved in some kind of community, with the site merely to help point to the next opportunity, and with homages to the shared interest as a way to keep things anchored to Rovers - the last part is kind of obvious, of course.

All of the off-the-site activities rely on people enjoying the events on the field enough to make the effort off it. There are some issues with this. The people you list are older than they once were (yes, I know) and will have other commitments which make meet ups more difficult. I'd have liked to have been a part of that in a former life but missed the boat. You will have very fond memories of the people involved and would I'm sure like to rekindle those connections. There is very little to enjoy about Venkys' Rovers these days. But the number of loud people who don't want to acknowledge them means that we don't even have a united siege mentality, just squabbling between camps.

Where is the next generation of these people and what binds them together? There will be no away day trips across Europe. There may be adventures for others at League One grounds (if that becomes possible) but the question is how to make this site (or even the other site) the anchor for those people - when Facebook is so much more accessible. Surprisingly little of your post describes how the site (without the forum) would do this. I accept it's a tough one.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Much of what you've posted involves the forum. And others seem to be example of great endeavours to advertise the site.

Taking a broad look at the things you pointed out, it seems that you want to get people "off the page" and involved in some kind of community, with the site merely to help point to the next opportunity, and with homages to the shared interest as a way to keep things anchored to Rovers - the last part is kind of obvious, of course.

All of the off-the-site activities rely on people enjoying the events on the field enough to make the effort off it. There are some issues with this. The people you list are older than they once were (yes, I know) and will have other commitments which make meet ups more difficult. I'd have liked to have been a part of that in a former life but missed the boat. You will have very fond memories of the people involved and would I'm sure like to rekindle those connections. There is very little to enjoy about Venkys' Rovers these days. But the number of loud people who don't want to acknowledge them means that we don't even have a united siege mentality, just squabbling between camps.

Where is the next generation of these people and what binds them together? There will be no away day trips across Europe. There may be adventures for others at League One grounds (if that becomes possible) but the question is how to make this site (or even the other site) the anchor for those people - when Facebook is so much more accessible. Surprisingly little of your post describes how the site (without the forum) would do this. I accept it's a tough one.

We should probably take this to PM, whilst I'm happy to share, I don't think anyone else would benefit from having to sit through my 5yr plan and how I'm going to achieve it.

Just now, Glenn said:

We should probably take this to PM, whilst I'm happy to share, I don't think anyone else would benefit from having to sit through my 5yr plan and how I'm going to achieve it.

Happy to - although I don't know why anyone would be bored by it.

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who knows? Gav seems to  think everyone is someone else...if they don't agree with him. It's become a bit of an obsession for him. He's even checking spelling:lol:

Very worrying.

You're a huge reason why I'm tiring of posting much on here.

Always seem to be trying to wind people up, someone (Dunnfc maybe) posted your entire contribution for 1 day recently and it was entirely winding people up.....

What's happened to you, you used to post some decent football stuff

32 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Happy to - although I don't know why anyone would be bored by it.

I'll PM you later when I have a little more time (but see Chaddy response below)

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Im enjoying it. 

Not bored. But enjoying reading the posts

Ok, the other reason is I don't want to lay out 100% of my plans, deliver 75% of them and feel like a failure :P I have a history of dreaming big and the under delivering, so I'd rather keep things small and vague until they are close to being ready.

But a brief overview 

Stage 1 - Steady the ship, prep for next season and seek to get new people involved (and some old ones, if anyone is up for it)
Stage 2 - Focus on stuff we used to do well and focus on doing it again
Stage 3 - Implement new News/Content system and other "content" ideas for new season (new software update coming in summer to facilitate this) .
Stage 4 - Work on widening the audience.
Stage 5 - Get back to doing the fun / cutting edge stuff no other Rovers community is doing.

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

Agree that this message board is a much more relaxing and pleasant read now irrespective of the dire situation our beloved football club is in.

Great news, now go out and tell everyone you know! We won't attract back those that stopped posting if they don't know it's changed.

Just now, A cup of beans said:

Always seem to be trying to wind people up, someone (Dunnfc maybe) posted your entire contribution for 1 day recently and it was entirely winding people up.....

.... and this is exactly the content-less personal in-fighting that should be in PMs, not a public discussion. 

Just now, A cup of beans said:

Bit weird...and a cheap shot.  You're not posting because you can't be arsed. Use the ignore function if I upset you that much. That's what it's there for. 

Now where's that 'baby crying' picture you always post when trying to insult someone?  People in glass houses...

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bit weird...and a cheap shot.  You're not posting because you can't be arsed. Use the ignore function if I upset you that much. That's what it's there for. 

Now where's that 'baby crying' picture you always post when trying to insult someone?  People in glass houses...

The baby has only ever been aimed at you :) I've made my point.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Agree that this message board is a much more relaxing and pleasant read now irrespective of the dire situation our beloved football club is in.

Anyone 'passing by' would now think the club is in the position it is 'naturally' because of poor managerial appointments, the odd poor performance and bad luck. And that it meerly has to have a bit of lady luck to get back on an even keel.

Denial is hardly an improvement

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

Exhibit 5425:

Just because a view doesn't tally with yours doesn't mean it's a "closed mind". You have your own tunnel vision over Rhodes, Lowe and a few other topics and won't have it any other way. And you always want the last word - always. 

11 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Anyone 'passing by' would now think the club is in the position it is 'naturally' because of poor managerial appointments, the odd poor performance and bad luck. And that it meerly has to have a bit of lady luck to get back on an even keel.

Denial is hardly an improvement

From top ten threads in football;

3 are protest/action/meetings/consultation

2 are relegation threads

2 are game threads

2 are admin related(mind the dust/previews for next season)

1 is transfers, which if you click is just PNE fans talking about which players they want in summer.

How is that denial Shaun? 

The topics may say that but the content no longer reflects it. Some perspective has been lost now those with differing opinions have been hounded into leaving.

BUT that might just be because I cannot see past the off field issues that make the on field ones largely irrelevant.

On 15/04/2017 at 8:53 PM, Glenn said:

Traffic is actually up considerably, number of posts were down but are now back close to where they were (it's actually up in the football section), however the distribution has changed a bit.

and

I urge you to give it another look. ICBINF is where the most noticeable difference in atmosphere is, even the Brexit threat has now found a new level of polite debate rarely seen in that section.

It is in need of some new blood though. Far to many posters (understandably) give it a wide berth because of how it used to be and it's just not like that any more.

Out of interest Glenn, do you monitor the traffic via some form of analytics? Reason I ask, is that if numbers do drop, is it then viable to continue with the forum? Not sure how this would work, but just asking if this is something you guys monitor 

2 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

The topics may say that but the content no longer reflects it. Some perspective has been lost now those with differing opinions have been hounded into leaving.

BUT that might just be because I cannot see past the off field issues that make the on field ones largely irrelevant.

I'm tired of reading about people being hounded off this site. One person was banned, the others chose to leave. What I find interesting is the subjects those people felt it so important to discuss on here barely warrant a mention elsewhere. I've drawn my own conclusions on this, I'll leave others to do the same. 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Out of interest Glenn, do you monitor the traffic via some form of analytics? Reason I ask, is that if numbers do drop, is it then viable to continue with the forum? Not sure how this would work, but just asking if this is something you guys monitor 

Of course we do. Whilst BRFCS has always been a community project I've not personally taken a penny from, I do have a history of running or managing for-profit and eCommerce sites, so I wouldn't dream of running something without a decent analytics package behind it. That's why I can see just how many people still "lurk" without posting (5,248 unique visitors, (not visits) in the last 7 days for example). 

Just now, Paul said:

I'm tired of reading about people being hounded off this site. One person was banned, the others chose to leave. What I find interesting is the subjects those people felt it so important to discuss on here barely warrant a mention elsewhere. I've drawn my own conclusions on this, I'll leave others to do the same. 

I was going to post pretty much the same reply. A group of people decided to leave and set up a competitive alternative, I've no problem with that, in fact I applaud them for getting off their arses and doing something about their situation which should benefit the community as a whole. But as we don't enforce "self imposed" bans, they chose to leave. 

• Backroom
Just now, Glenn said:

Of course we do. Whilst BRFCS has always been a community project I've not personally taken a penny from, I do have a history of running or managing for-profit and eCommerce sites, so I wouldn't dream of running something without a decent analytics package behind it. That's why I can see just how many people still "lurk" without posting (5,248 unique visitors, (not visits) in the last 7 days for example). 

That tidbit goes to show how important this site is to Rovers fans, and particularly to the cause of #VenkysOut #FansUnited.

I'd suggest that's the widest reach of any Rovers-related media, especially given our reputation for welcoming fans from across the world and even opposition fans as contributors.

I'm not an old old poster but have been coming on here for over 10 years. I've seen an uptick recently, and I like it.

It's hard to keep the site fresh, and free of major angst when it's main driver is a basket case football club.

Good luck to those who set up their new site. I went on to look but left quickly. It was strange.

I don't post much in Rovers player and match type threads as I'm not local with no access to Championship games. But other football topics, and non-football is good for me.

Keep it up.

Archived