BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, but ... I live for imaginary internet points, they justify my very existence :)

and besides, it's an accepted nickname, no different to the one you used for skinner 

Still, there are probably more important aspects to this election :) 

The one thing that could make an impact is if there is a co-ordinated anti-Tory tactical voting strategy. Britain's never really seen anything like that before, but potentially it could happen. It would be a bit of a game changer if so. Will be interesting to see how that develops over the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What about people who want Brexit to happen? 

I wanted Brexit to happen and voted for us to leave the EU

Sorry Chaddy

I strongly disagree and want to remain, not for me as I'm too old to be worried but for the future of our children and grandchildren.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

The one thing that could make an impact is if there is a co-ordinated anti-Tory tactical voting strategy. Britain's never really seen anything like that before, but potentially it could happen. It would be a bit of a game changer if so. Will be interesting to see how that develops over the coming weeks.

I was seeing loads of attempts to organise just that on social media last night. I think it'll happen in a big way. 

Last I saw there was a detailed spreadsheet being passed around, but I'll wager somebody has turned it into a website by now

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

It's always key to remember we are voting for policies not personalities, in spite of how it is reported in the media.

No matter what anyone thinks of Corbyn (I'm not that keen FYI), I'll bet barely anyone could say what his policies are. There's been a smear against him from day one.

He has never, in his entire political career, shown any interest in leadership.

He has never, in his entire political career, shown any loyalty to the party he now purports to lead.

He has never respected the previous leaders in the party he now purports to lead.

He still appears to have no interest in displaying any significant leadership qualities.

He is cantankerous and passive-aggressive and short tempered, even under the most benign interrogation.

He has only now started not dressing in the dark.

He is an appalling orator, using 100 words when 10 would do.

He has missed that many open goals at PMQs, against a Tory PM who is an equally poor speaker, he should be called Beamo.

He has displayed none of the essential flexibility, empathy or emotional intelligence skills that would lead anyone with any objectivity to believe he can take a disparate group of people and make them into a force that can challenge the vicious right wing agenda we are currently suffering under.

He is utterly hopeless in every single trait that a leader needs and it has nothing to do with how the press portray him.

So, May is refusing to do a TV debate, despite how poor Corbyn is at speaking.

I understand this election less and less, I thought it would have been a slam dunk for her.

Still, good on ITV for going in with it regardless. I wonder what the old HIGNFY tub of lard will be for her? 

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

I disagree.

If the LibDems run on an anti brexit platform and win (absolutely no chance) that in itself would be a reversal of brexit.

No fear the numpty Sun and Mail readers plus the Express and Torygraph will decide the next election and the fate of our children and grandchildren.

I'm sure the metropolitan elite and the left wing intelligentsia that dominate  the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation, together with  John Snow and his lackeys on Channel 4 news,  will provide balance . 

Whilst I may agree with much of this description of corbyn, "we" voted for the right wing agenda that you speak of.

Perpetuating the theory of Corbyn being unelectable is playing directly into that agendas hands. I find it hard to grasp, especially when Blair should be fresh enough in memory to make people realise that we don't need an orator, a flashy dressed public speaker or deliverer of well written speeches. Vote for whichever party suits the country, not for a face.

We need a country that works for all. I can't see how anyone who votes for Theresa's brexit blanket could say this. More austerity, more cuts to social, health, police, schools. One aspect not mentioned, what about the prison service? It's at the brink of a meltdown which puts us all at further risk yet it's barely a topic worth mentioning..

I'm not completely au fait with politics, democracy or elections - but I cannot argue with any vote for Labour, the Liberal democrats, the Greens or any other local/independent IF they provide a set of transparent measures designed to benefit the MAJORITY. Regardless of who their leader is. For example, I'm not a huge Nicola Sturgeon fan, but the first thing I hear her talk about is wanting an end to austerity.  Whether she's flashy enough, that's another matter but that's something I want to see.

29 minutes ago, Jbizzle said:

Whilst I may agree with much of this description of corbyn, "we" voted for the right wing agenda that you speak of.

Perpetuating the theory of Corbyn being unelectable is playing directly into that agendas hands. I find it hard to grasp, especially when Blair should be fresh enough in memory to make people realise that we don't need an orator, a flashy dressed public speaker or deliverer of well written speeches. Vote for whichever party suits the country, not for a face.

We need a country that works for all. I can't see how anyone who votes for Theresa's brexit blanket could say this. More austerity, more cuts to social, health, police, schools. One aspect not mentioned, what about the prison service? It's at the brink of a meltdown which puts us all at further risk yet it's barely a topic worth mentioning..

I'm not completely au fait with politics, democracy or elections - but I cannot argue with any vote for Labour, the Liberal democrats, the Greens or any other local/independent IF they provide a set of transparent measures designed to benefit the MAJORITY. Regardless of who their leader is. For example, I'm not a huge Nicola Sturgeon fan, but the first thing I hear her talk about is wanting an end to austerity.  Whether she's flashy enough, that's another matter but that's something I want to see.

Strange when i see or hear Sturgeon I think of a self serving flea on a tail trying to wag a dog.  Obviously the self serving bit also applies to xxxxxxxx number of career politicians

Slightly old but an interesting read on Labour party members and the Corbyn cult 

http://theconversation.com/why-labour-party-members-still-back-jeremy-corbyn-as-their-leader-65974

Think it has been touched on before but the social media bubbles/echo chambers tend to not represent the views of those outside. Think this is the problem that Labour have got because the general public just see him running away from questions and hiding behind glass walls.

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Strange when i see or hear Sturgeon I think of a self serving flea on a tail trying to wag a dog.  Obviously the self serving bit also applies to xxxxxxxx number of career politicians

A lot of the time I find politicians odious, the problem is we are paying for them to do a job. Measure their words by their actions. Whilst I can quite happily list reasons with anyone why I don't particularly like Corbyn, I can't judge the man by his actions from a shadow cabinet!

However, I can judge May on her several uturns in office, her actions thus far and the potential of 5 more years with a greater majority is enough to push me to Canada/NZ/Aus if I can find work. Now that is selfish, but I can't put up with seeing the mess our communities are in despite "growth".

It's harrowing, not specifically  in the schools I see first hand but in social care, in care for elderly, support for those on disability, the quickly vanishing FE opportunities in anything but STEM, frontline public services, nurses, doctors and the rest.

People are deluded if they can think that Corbyn will win the election, tactical voting or no, there is simply not a chance this will happen so please get real over it.

Tim nice but dim will see his party win a few seats BUT this will be at the expense of Labour failures.

There is at the moment NOT A LOT standing in the way of a full Tory landslide victory so that we can simply go forward and get out of The EU like the majority voted for. It is time for Britain to become GREAT once more.

Just now, Jbizzle said:

A lot of the time I find politicians odious, the problem is we are paying for them to do a job. Measure their words by their actions. Whilst I can quite happily list reasons with anyone why I don't particularly like Corbyn, I can't judge the man by his actions from a shadow cabinet!

However, I can judge May on her several uturns in office, her actions thus far and the potential of 5 more years with a greater majority is enough to push me to Canada/NZ/Aus if I can find work. Now that is selfish, but I can't put up with seeing the mess our communities are in despite "growth".

It's harrowing, not specifically  in the schools I see first hand but in social care, in care for elderly, support for those on disability, the quickly vanishing FE opportunities in anything but STEM, frontline public services, nurses, doctors and the rest.

Don't think that is selfish at all , I think most peoples priority if they are truthful is themselves and their families. The things that you listed that you are seeing first hand are the same concerns here at the moment with the Liberal government

Just a heads up but both Aus and NZ have cut the number of professions/job titles on the work visa lists in the last couple of days. Not sure about Canada

Just now, Jbizzle said:

"Who can I envision as our Prime Minister?"

Like it or not, that is how swing voters will vote, and that's what wins elections.

"Individual policies? Who has time or energy to bother with that!"

If the majority of us are being honest with ourselves, none of us will go through party manifestos and analyse all of the policies. I wish I did, and I really should, but I don't, and I don't know anybody else who does. We are more interested in headlines and TV debates. That will never change for as long as politics is around.

I'll just say it... I'm a tribal voter. I suspect most of us are when it comes to the crunch. I've always voted for Labour to win or, as a second option, voted to keep the Tories out by voting Lib Dem. In recent years, I've tried to promise myself to spend time looking at it all and making an objective decision, but for one reason or another, it's just never happened.

However, what's interesting for me is that I feel completely different this time around, but not because I'll be tooth-combing party manifestos. Jeremy Corbyn as our Prime Minister scares the hell out of me! I've never really thought about the "Who can I envision as our Primer Minister?", but the dormant breaking point for me with that question has been reached. I'm simply not voting for him, because there's enough evidence to show that he can't even lead his own party without ridiculous divisions and infighting, never mind the country.

For me, the best outcome is for Labour to get tonked and Corbyn forced to resign. Surely nobody can be worse than him?! If David Miliband came back into the fold, well... that WOULD be interesting for the next General Election.

2 hours ago, Jbizzle said:

The pound has been at 30 year low recently, so any high is respective of that. The majority of this country don't do 4 foreign holidays a year, thus who's interest us that in?

Higher Majority = softer brexit? Why does this seem completely opposite to what I see? To me it's; higher Majority = more damaging, less challenged hard brexit.

1) Fair cop but hardly a massive issue at current

2) tax overall needs looking at, not just NI. I want to see corporations paying fairly, I don't want to see conflict of interest with parliamentary peers.

3) Foreign aid? Seriously, what is the issue with foreign aid? Surely, if the majority are considering what they should or shouldn't sending around the world, it's bombs not aid? I'm not stupid enough to think that there are rationales for not supporting certain areas but how can charity be a concern of yours when we've got such serious concerns back home?

4) If I had a list of things important to me, immigration wouldn't even be in the top ten. How many million expats are potentially going to be forced to return through a hard brexit? That blows any "overcrowding" argument straight out of the water. Why do you think agreements with capital cities will stop the number of people who want to move here? 

A policy I want on immigration is to fix the issues at their cause, not just "send the buggers back"... it's a Phoenix Nights reference before anyone loses their minds.

I have to say it sums up the direction we are allowing people to take this country when we just "accept" lies from politicians as par for the course. WE pay them to represent us, and we laugh off their uturns?

Common sense? Give me a break. 

Well let's see what comes out in the wash on 8th June , but having read you're latest post it looks like you're off to live in one of those lovely  commonwealth countries. Good luck with your applications 

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

So, May is refusing to do a TV debate, despite how poor Corbyn is at speaking.

I understand this election less and less, I thought it would have been a slam dunk for her.

Still, good on ITV for going in with it regardless. I wonder what the old HIGNFY tub of lard will be for her? 

I don't blame her one little bit . They're just a manufactured TV circus, add little to our democracy  and put too much power into the hands of the  media elite . 

3 hours ago, Biddy said:

To be fair, the Beast is a knickname that is used in a good way.  People calling George "Gideon" is just name calling to say "look at the posh git"

He is a posh git, a fully fledged Eton, Bullingdon boy, Oxford-educated Tory posh git. A posh git who is heir to the Osborne and Little wallpaper fortune. The sort of posh git like Cameron who think they are born to rule. A posh git who thinks it is acceptable to have 6 multi-million pound jobs while still sitting as an MP (until today). And the sort of arrogant posh git who tells the owner of the Evening Standard he should be its editor - despite having no journalistic experience. 

It's astonishing that anyone like the person below born and bred in east Lancs and the north could ever contemplate voting for Tory posh gits like that. Perhaps they'd like to explain why they identify with posh gits like Gideon Osborne and vote for them. 

48 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He has never, in his entire political career, shown any interest in leadership.

He has never, in his entire political career, shown any loyalty to the party he now purports to lead.

He has never respected the previous leaders in the party he now purports to lead.

He still appears to have no interest in displaying any significant leadership qualities.

He is cantankerous and passive-aggressive and short tempered, even under the most benign interrogation.

He has only now started not dressing in the dark.

He is an appalling orator, using 100 words when 10 would do.

He has missed that many open goals at PMQs, against a Tory PM who is an equally poor speaker, he should be called Beamo.

He has displayed none of the essential flexibility, empathy or emotional intelligence skills that would lead anyone with any objectivity to believe he can take a disparate group of people and make them into a force that can challenge the vicious right wing agenda we are currently suffering under.

He is utterly hopeless in every single trait that a leader needs and it has nothing to do with how the press portray him.

Think you missed the part where I said 'I'm not that keen'. I've never rated him as a leader. I actually agree with a lot of what you said though.........

41 minutes ago, onlyonetugay said:

I don't blame her one little bit . They're just a manufactured TV circus, add little to our democracy  and put too much power into the hands of the  media elite . 

There must be an element of risk in not being prepared to be on the TV debate. I expect that they have decided that she is in such a strong position that she can afford not to risk attending. Undoubtedly it will not be a strong point for her - her strength is in detailed planning and analysis and not in thinking on her feet or being able to make off the cuff quips. But it could rebound if a significant proportion of the public perceives her as being too frightened to be on.

I've just been listening to The Media Show on Radio 4 (you should try it and other BBC programmes onlyonetugay). The clear evidence is that a lot of voters who are not accessing other election news, watch the debates, especially younger voters.

Did somebody mention "posh gits" ? :lol:

Voting intentions ? Simple really , preferable to hypocritical gits that represent a party that's been conning the working class of this country for as long as I can remember. Current examples - Lady Nugee aka Emily Thornberry  ( smug hater of the working class ) Dianne Abbott ( where do I start  ? ) Harriett Harperson ( All female shortlists until it comes to my husband ) Shami Chakrabati ( see Dianne Abbott - the comprehensive system is wonderful until it comes to my kid - then it's private or grammar all the way  ) . .......

Mmmm..............the (hypocritical) party that after regaining power in 1997, revitalised public services such as the NHS and state schools (those used by the working class) post 1997 after 19 years of shameful Tory neglect, and then went on to manage:  

1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

2. Low mortgage rates.

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.

4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.

5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.

7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.

8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.

9. Employment is at its highest level ever.

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

11. 85,000 more nurses.

12. 32,000 more doctors.

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.

18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.

19. Restored city-wide government to London.

20. Record number of students in higher education.

21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.

22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.

23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.

25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.

27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.

28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.

29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.

30. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.

34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.

35. Banned fox hunting.

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.

37. Free TV licences for over-75s.

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.

39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

41. New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.

42. Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.

43. Free eye test for over 60s.

44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.

47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

Archived