BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Aston Villa (H) Saturday 29th April, Kick off 15.00

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think TM could spend Lowe's wages more productively.

Agreed.

A half time mariachi band. A gladiator themed assault course outside. Repaint the Riverside. No slip flooring in the Blackburn end concourse. All would be better than spending money on that continuous waste of space. Lenihan is ten times the player Lowe is already. 

31 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Spot on J*B

It's taken him x years to lay on a winning goal. He gets subbed at 87 for an ovation and no one clapped. Says it all.

Lacking in footballing knowledge was the accusation aimed at our fans, not you in particular MCM.

A lad that's been at the club since he was 12yrs old, booed by his own fans, and little or no acknowledgement when he went off injured yesterday despite his service to the club, Dunn was the same.

No wonder the vast majority sit in silence as Rome burns, it's all beginning to make sense. 

Lacking footballing knowledge is a perfect label, but spoilt on Premiership football is probably better.

Just now, Gav said:

Lacking in footballing knowledge was the accusation aimed at our fans, not you in particular MCM.

A lad that's been at the club since he was 12yrs old, booed by his own fans, and little or no acknowledgement when he went off injured yesterday despite his service to the club, Dunn was the same.

No wonder the vast majority sit in silence as Rome burns, it's all beginning to make sense. 

Lacking footballing knowledge is a perfect label, but spoilt on Premiership football is probably better.

Bingo

Just now, Gav said:

You can't be spoiled when for anyone below 30 it's all they've ever known. Until Venkys showed up.

For those of us a bit older, it's clear to see that Venkys squatted over us and then flushed us down the toilet. There was no reason for us not to have expected to be in the hat when the big money came pouring in. Are West Brom, Stoke, Bournemouth, even Bumley any more deserving? We had the infrastructure, the players, the board and even manage

Lacking in football knowledge is a pretty pompous statement. Especially when you compare the polar extremes of opinion on Rhodes and Lowe. "Football knowledge" as you call it, is simply opinion ignorant of the facts. One scored goals in a worsening side and the other played lots of football matches as a bigger and bigger part of that worsening side.

To call those who didn't clap a player they see as taking up a shirt "lacking in football knowledge" is frankly patronising. How many times do I have to listen to "everyone's entitled to an opinion" for it to work both ways?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Bingo

There's an entire generation that is built on 'the club that Jack built' everywhere from promotion, to winning the league, European trips, promotion back to the premier league, winning the league cup, semi finals every other year... and your spinning that as a bad thing? This isn't 'well we are back at our natural level'... Jack gave this club the resources and backbone to make sure it continued to overachieve forever, and Venky's totally @#/? that up. The advantage we had over every single Town club in the country and they have systematically destructed the entire thing to the point where all of Jack Walkers work is now worthless. That's why people are angry.  

Just now, J*B said:

There's an entire generation that is built on 'the club that Jack built' everywhere from promotion, to winning the league, European trips, promotion back to the premier league, winning the league cup, semi finals every other year... and your spinning that as a bad thing? This isn't 'well we are back at our natural level'... Jack gave this club the resources and backbone to make sure it continued to overachieve forever, and Venky's totally @#/? that up. The advantage we had over every single Town club in the country and they have systematically destructed the entire thing to the point where all of Jack Walkers work is now worthless. That's why people are angry.  

Bingo.

Just now, J*B said:

Yep, get all that, but don't try and tell me that an entire generation are fiercely loyal to Rovers. Bullshit. We had a lot of glory hunters during the glory years. They support other teams now. They would have done regardless of Venky's. You spinning that as a good thing?

Yep, get all that, but don't try and tell me that an entire generation are fiercely loyal to Rovers. Bullshit. We had a lot of glory hunters during the glory years. They support other teams now. They would have done regardless of Venky's. You spinning that as a good thing?

I am that generation. I used to sit in the Blackburn End, then Darwen End, then back to Darwen End. I promise you - there was 24 of us at one point (while we where a championship club) and now not one go. 2 of our group used to bang that ridiculous drum in the Blackburn End. I can think of 2 that now go to watch Accy, and 3 that go to Chorley. The damage will come in 40 years time when the stands are empty. Everyone 30+ will either be dead or too old to get to Ewood. The stadium will be empty - it'll be lower league football without any hardcore support and the recovery back to even where we are now will be financially impossible  

All my group have found other things to do now - because of Venkys. They won't be hooked back in by tickets for a tenner or a game against United. They're gone. Not interested. It'll be then when the real damage is shown. 

I personally think that 'spoilt' jibe is a load of sh***.

In circa 2010, I seldom came across any fan (of any age) that thought we had any divine right to PL football. We were a town club competing with big cities and we were one stupid decision (or collection of them) away from a relegation and all that would entail.

Yes, we had standards as you would expect after 20 years at the top and Jack had put something special in place that meant that younger fans didn't need to go through the pain that previous generations had.

But those standards have now diminished and the fans are more than aware of our present standing in the game.

Just now, J*B said:

I am that generation. I used to sit in the Blackburn End, then Darwen End, then back to Darwen End. I promise you - there was 24 of us at one point (while we where a championship club) and now not one go. 2 of our group used to bang that ridiculous drum in the Blackburn End. I can think of 2 that now go to watch Accy, and 3 that go to Chorley. The damage will come in 40 years time when the stands are empty. Everyone 30+ will either be dead or too old to get to Ewood. The stadium will be empty - it'll be lower league football without any hardcore support and the recovery back to even where we are now will be financially impossible  

All my group have found other things to do now - because of Venkys. They won't be hooked back in by tickets for a tenner or a game against United. They're gone. Not interested. It'll be then when the real damage is shown. 

Again, I understand all that, I know a lot that have stopped going and go and watch other teams (mostly Chorley and Nobbers). They'll be back when Venky's go, or so they claim. Some will, others will be found wanting. That's the key, will your mates be back when Venky's go? If not, and they can still get there on a Saturday, then they are not loyal to the cause. A lot will be revealed as glory-hunters when the Venky's go and they don't return to Ewood cos we are no longer in the Prem.

Again, I understand all that, I know a lot that have stopped going and go and watch other teams (mostly Chorley and Nobbers). They'll be back when Venky's go, or so they claim. Some will, others will be found wanting. That's the key, will your mates be back when Venky's go? If not, and they can still get there on a Saturday, then they are not loyal to the cause. A lot will be revealed as glory-hunters when the Venky's go and they don't return to Ewood cos we are no longer in the Prem.

The damage will be done by then. By the time they go we will be a lower league club riddled with debt. There will be nothing to come back to. They now play golf/watch rugby/watch boxing etc instead of going to Rovers. They'll always follow the club, but by the time Venky's have gone there will be nothing left to attract people back. You have to have some sort of a product - either a good product on show, or a relatable product, or an emotional product. There has to be something for people to reattach too. Otherwise it doesn't feel like their club anymore. 

Which is the key bit now for me. When I see Ewood Park I no longer have pride. When I walk into the ground I have no emotional attachment. When I see the players I cannot relate to them. When I hear the board speak I dispair. Nothing is relatable anymore. Essentially I do not see it as Blackburn Rovers. 

Yes, there were some glory hunters but we still had upper 14,000 average crowds to start with in the Championship. The problem now is that there is no hope that anything is going to change. It's stopped being an adventure. Losing 6000 fans can be put down to lack of PL football, and the fact that non-Rovers fans used to buy cheap tickets to attend. But it's the ones that we lose from the 12,000 fans that have stuck around this long are being lost to Venkys continued removal of the fun and enjoyment by leaving the club to rot (aka wash its own face) and watch as every decent player is sold to our rivals while we drop down the league - and likely through the divisions. How long until League One stops being an adventure and we become a solid midtable side at that level? Thoroughly depressing.

Just now, J*B said:

The damage will be done by then. By the time they go we will be a lower league club riddled with debt. There will be nothing to come back to. They now play golf/watch rugby/watch boxing etc instead of going to Rovers. They'll always follow the club, but by the time Venky's have gone there will be nothing left to attract people back. You have to have some sort of a product - either a good product on show, or a relatable product, or an emotional product. There has to be something for people to reattach too. Otherwise it doesn't feel like their club anymore. 

Which is the key bit now for me. When I see Ewood Park I no longer have pride. When I walk into the ground I have no emotional attachment. When I see the players I cannot relate to them. When I hear the board speak I dispair. Nothing is relatable anymore. Essentially I do not see it as Blackburn Rovers. 

Another great post. The emotional attachment is very much being lost.

Just now, Stuart said:

Another great post. The emotional attachment is very much being lost.

We (as in BRFCS) are in a minority. There are thousands of fans that truthfully give a @#/? about Rovers, just not enough to talk rubbish on forums with strangers. These fans are the key. These are the ones that where making the noise, at the away days etc previously. They now watch different sport because they feel more valued there. I'm telling you, in 40 years there won't be anyone under 50 going. The longer this goes on the more likely it is the club will never recover. 

Just now, J*B said:

We (as in BRFCS) are in a minority. There are thousands of fans that truthfully give a @#/? about Rovers, just not enough to talk rubbish on forums with strangers. These fans are the key. These are the ones that where making the noise, at the away days etc previously. They now watch different sport because they feel more valued there. I'm telling you, in 40 years there won't be anyone under 50 going. The longer this goes on the more likely it is the club will never recover. 

Which is why I want shut of Venkys sooner rather than later. We are in a worse position season after season with this lot and no sign of that abating at any point in the future.

One important point ------it's very hard to get emotionally attached to a group of players when the best of them are not our's.They are simply in the shop window till the next season.

Secondly, there is no pride in watching our young players come through the ranks when you know they will be flogged off to pay the bills. We are grooming them for someone else.

All the emotional attachment these days comes from memories of the past. People don't want to let go of something that has been so important to them for so long.

However, where are the new memories for the younger generations? They won't continue to show their loyalty on the basis of years of turmoil, relegation and pitiful performances in front of small crowds.

We are dying the death here, sewing the seeds of our own demise year on year.

Oue die-hard fans won't live forever. Who will replace them? Let's hope they have big families!

On 4/29/2017 at 0:48 PM, Mercer said:

I can see Forest beating Ipswich at home but can't see Brum winning at Bristol City.

All we need to do is win a game of football at Brentford who are a mid table Championship team and our goal difference will do the rest (if Brum draw at City).

According to you we should have already been safe.  We are down  have been for weeks now.  Just accept it, will make next weekend easier.  I might just go riding, though 6 am is a bit early.

"they won't be back when venkys go" 

What makes you think venkys will go? 

I'll definitely be there first game after they do go. But a part of me believes they never will and we'll go non-league. Call it a coping strategy if you like but I can see it happening. Maybe  the stay - away fans see the same writing  on the wall

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

You can't be spoiled when for anyone below 30 it's all they've ever known. Until Venkys showed up.

For those of us a bit older, it's clear to see that Venkys squatted over us and then flushed us down the toilet. There was no reason for us not to have expected to be in the hat when the big money came pouring in. Are West Brom, Stoke, Bournemouth, even Bumley any more deserving? We had the infrastructure, the players, the board and even manage

Lacking in football knowledge is a pretty pompous statement. Especially when you compare the polar extremes of opinion on Rhodes and Lowe. "Football knowledge" as you call it, is simply opinion ignorant of the facts. One scored goals in a worsening side and the other played lots of football matches as a bigger and bigger part of that worsening side.

To call those who didn't clap a player they see as taking up a shirt "lacking in football knowledge" is frankly patronising. How many times do I have to listen to "everyone's entitled to an opinion" for it to work both ways?

Posters on here backed themselves into a corner on Rhodes, on a match day everyone loved the lad because he scored goals, its not even worth debating.

I brought up the 'lacking footballing knowledge' theme and have argued against it vehemently in the past, but I do think it holds some truth the more I think about it.

I've been all over the world watching football and can count on one hand the amount of times I've heard home teams players being booed when the teams read out, or cheered when being substituted, it happens but very rarely. Most recent example would be Fellaini at United and we all know the United home crowd is made up of uneducated, in footballing terms, day trippers.

Off the top of my head we've had Jimmy Quinn, Jason Wilcox, Mark Atkins, Tim Sherwood, Richard Brown, Keith Andrews, Chris Brown and Lowe that have all been booed by their own fans, how can that be acceptable? how can that be anything other than a crowd, or section of, lacking footballing knowledge? 

I'm open to being convinced either way, but as someone who has never booed his own players ever I can't get my head around it. 

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

"they won't be back when venkys go" 

What makes you think venkys will go? 

I'll definitely be there first game after they do go. 

Me too, I think a lot of fans and new fans will come. 

The first season or window that Venkys arent here and we gather momentum climbing back up the league ( Lg1 or which ever league we are in ) fans will come when we start winning I can see it now winning LG1 with 5 games to go absolutly trouching teams on h way back, then get promotion back to Champs , reach the playoffs or better still top 2 in the champs then back to the premiership.

I hear so many times about our natural league or position to me we are a top 12 PL team with a  decent cup run.

Soon  as the chicken pluckers cluck off our journey back will start.

Just now, Gav said:

Posters on here backed themselves into a corner on Rhodes, on a match day everyone loved the lad because he scored goals, its not even worth debating.

I brought up the 'lacking footballing knowledge' theme and have argued against it vehemently in the past, but I do think it holds some truth the more I think about it.

I've been all over the world watching football and can count on one hand the amount of times I've heard home teams players being booed when the teams read out, or cheered when being substituted, it happens but very rarely. Most recent example would be Fellaini at United and we all know the United home crowd is made up of uneducated, in footballing terms, day trippers.

Off the top of my head we've had Jimmy Quinn, Jason Wilcox, Mark Atkins, Tim Sherwood, Richard Brown, Keith Andrews, Chris Brown and Lowe that have all been booed by their own fans, how can that be acceptable? how can that be anything other than a crowd, or section of, lacking footballing knowledge? 

I'm open to being convinced either way, but as someone who has never booed his own players ever I can't get my head around it. 

I remember Sellars getting loads of abuse from our own fans " Sellars your sh1t "

yet we've had Yordi.

Johansson was very bad I didnt like him at all and Id complain to anyone about him but match day as much as he frustrated me I still wouldnt boo him.

No matter how bad they are Id never boo our own players, Id let them know if they had a below par performance " ffs get the ball or ffs shoot" but Id never boo.

Back to the game I was very impressed with us on Saturday. We were bang up for it which is all you can ask in the circumstances.

I was so down on Saturday evening though it was untrue. In all probability it's likely to be a bit too little far too late.

I don't suppose we'll ever know why both the players didn't show up and the manager was unable to motivate them for either of the crucial home games against Barnsley and Bristol City but in my view thats whats likely to send us down. Even if we can engineer an unlikely last minute ecape on Sunday id have reservations on both fronts for next season.

On the plus side it was a much better home crowd than normal and a very positive atmosphere in the ground so it does offer a glimmer of hope that if we do go down and could get on a roll in League one next season we could challenge to come back up.

Archived