BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goal Shy Rovers.

Alan75

I’d love to find something positive to post about Sunday’s game against Newcastle, however like a lot of supporters this morning I feel depressed and angry by another failure by the team to win a game that for 60 minutes was there for the taking.

Tagged by the media, as the premier league bully boy, Rovers couldn’t even get that right against Newcastle. Only one yellow card compared to Newcastle’s 5 yellows and 1 red.

For the first hour both teams huffed and puffed up and down the park, with neither team taking control of the game. The statistics would indicate that Rovers had 24 attempts on goal whilst Newcastle had 4. The big difference and more telling of those stats is that 3 of Newcastle’s attempts hit the back of the net.

I suspect it was written in the stars that Alan Shearer, making his final competitive appearance at Ewood, (if he does retire at the end of the season) would break his duck of not scoring for 18 games and that Micheal Owen would open his account for the barcodes.

Both world class strikers, seem to score on a regular basis when they play against Rovers and there lies the difference between both teams.

Rovers have the ability to defend in depth and I suspect on current form there will be an abundance of goal less draws this season, however once they go behind they don’t have a player capable of finding the back of the net from open play.

Rovers have continued this season where they left off last season, playing with a sole striker up front so it’s no surprise that they haven’t scored since the first home game of the season. With a total of approximately 380 minutes since they scored, it’s no surprise that attendance for the game was less than 21,000.

Rovers: Friedel, Neill, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Gresko (Jansen 76), Savage, Mokoena (Tugay 67), Reid, Pedersen, Bentley (Kuqi 67), Bellamy.

Subs Not Used: Emerton, Enckelman.

Booked: Neill.

Newcastle: Given, Carr, Boumsong, Taylor, Babayaro, Faye, Bowyer, Clark, N'Zogbia, Shearer (Bramble 74), Owen.

Subs Not Used: Elliott, Harper, O'Brien, Brittain.

Sent Off: Taylor (72).

Booked: Clark, Boumsong, Given, Taylor, Babayaro.

Goals: Shearer 62, Owen 66, N'Zogbia 85.

Att: 20,725

Ref: M Riley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.