BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Villa 1 Rovers 0

Alan75

Match Report by Welshrover 1981

Having travelled up to the game yesterday, I was expecting a decent Rovers performance against the Villans.

First half performance was poor, and yet again someone with pace (baros) made Todd nelsen have a very tricky afternoon. Dont get me wrong they are good defenders but any team with a pacey forward seem to get the better of Toddy and the Admiral. Having watched highlights of the game on MOTD Todd was partly to blame but our midfield was also to blame in giving the ball away. We did alot in the first half and Villa deserved to go in 3-0 rather than 1-0.

Then there was Kuqi. Hopeless in the first half didnt get anywhere near MGP crosses and for a 'big' player seems to be lacking strength which is needed in Premiership. But support for him was also poor from our midfield.

Second half was far better and we came out with a purpose, which was lacking in the first half. Hughesy must have given them a good bollocking because Villa were waiting for rovers for at least 2 minutes.

Defence looked alot wiser although the chances which Villa had came about mainly from Rovers trying to get this elusive goal. Gresko looked pretty decent.

MGP looked the only decent Premiership player on the pitch. Creating chances, making important tackles and just making Villa play, which no one else seemed to do. Emerton was poor and I was glad to see Jansen and Jemal come on to the pitch. jemal looked decent and gave the Villa defence something to think about and jansen looked way off in terms of being a decent player again, although his effort was there.

Couple of things I couldnt understand was why Savage wanted to take the Crosses from the left all the time and not leave them to MGP and why when we were threatening their goal No-one wanted to shoot it was just pass pass pass. Oh no I got to shoot, I'll pass it again I think. only Jemal seemed to have made a decent shot. Kuqi seemed alot better in the 2nd half but wasted our best opportunity, which you just cant do.

And that just seemed to have summed up our day. Villa had an International goalscorer who is proven in the Premiership and has that touch of class to score goals, where as we had Kuqi.

Villa: Sorensen, Hughes, Mellberg, Ridgewell, Samuel, Barry, Davis, McCann, Whittingham (Berger 69), Baros, Phillips.

Subs Not Used: Angel, Taylor, Cahill, Moore.

Booked: Mellberg, Baros.

Goals: Baros 11.

Rovers: Friedel, Todd, Nelsen, Matteo (Gresko 57), Flitcroft (Jansen 61), Emerton (Johnson 81), Pedersen, Tugay, Savage, Reid, Kuqi.

Subs Not Used: Enckelman, Mokoena.

Booked: Nelsen, Matteo.

Att: 31,010

Ref: M Clattenburg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.