BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 2 Birmingham 0

Alan75

In his post match interview, Steve Bruce stated.

"It was not a penalty - it was a pathetic decision and the referee's got it woefully wrong.

"If Matthew Upson is tugging Paul Dickov, then how has Dickov fallen forward?

"My concern is that we would not have been given it - we were harshly treated - it is probably the worst decision I can ever recall for a penalty."

Come off it Mr Bruce, how long have you been in the game, I may have not played the game or watched as many games but I can recall many a worst penalty decision. As much as Steve Bruce wants to complain about the outcome of Saturday’s game, before making up excuses he should remember that if Upson hadn’t been wrapping his arms around Dickov directly in front of referee Barry Knight then the penalty wouldn’t have been awarded.

The penalty may have been the turning point, but a more telling reason why Birmingham lost the game is that Birmingham’s only effort on goal, was a shot along the ground by Nicky Butt, that Brad Friedel easily saved near the left hand post.

With such a lack lustre display from Birmingham, from the moment that Dickov scored there was no other outcome than a Rovers win. Even the referee had shown pity on Birmingham, awarding them, not one or two but three corners at the Blackburn End when it was clear to everyone at the ground that a Birmingham player had had the last touch.

To be honest, after raising their game in recent weeks, Rovers dropped to Birmingham’s level and substitute Bellamy’s first premiership goal for Rovers was the highlight of the afternoon.

Rovers manager Mark Hughes summed it up in his post match interview, when he stated.

"I am delighted that Craig Bellamy has been able to make an impact.

"His goal showed exactly what he gives us and why we bought him - he plays off the shoulder of the defenders and he is always a threat.

"But from the moment Paul Dickov scored the penalty, we were comfortable and there was only going to be one winner."

Match Report

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.