BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 0 Chelsea 2 Carling Cup

Alan75

Match Report by 1864roverite

Well a Leyland point of view sees nothing but positives from last nights game, even though we lost. In that I wont even contrive to mention the awful weather.

Firstly, a crowd of nearly 15000 was a pleasant surprise, well done to thos e who wwent and despite the result Rovers more than held their own with a vastly expensive and experienced Chelsea reserve team.

My personal view of the match is simple, Rovers had to rest certain players. Tugay was out of the squad, Savage injured and no need to run the risk of anything serious. Very surprised to see both Emeton and Neill play the full game but Emerton played the type of football he has done recently, my MOTM.

Nice to see Henchoz get a game, although clearly short of match practice, his inclusion shows its the end for Todd in his Blackburn career. He looked comfortable with Zurab. McEveley, clearly inexperienced against Robben first half, came out of his shell and had a fine second half.

I think Bentley can do a job in the middle, he has the skill and the artistry to develop alongside Tugay. MGP faded in and out again and was unlucky not to score with a 40 yard free kick, after that though he did little else. he should have gone off earlier to be replaced by Peter. the Axe was solid as usual but gave quite a few balls away putting us in trouble.

Very surprised that both Nonda and McCarthey started. Last night was ideal to play Roberts and Jeffers to give them a full 90 minutes. Roberts got quite a size of the second half due to Nonda injury and Jeffer got all of 4 minutes ! A wasted opportunity for rest and match fitness.

I would like tomention the young lad Peter. He did more in 45 minutes than MGP has done in 6 games. he can run, he can pass, he can shoot and his crossing is fantastic. I would like this lad to get a decent run in the side if he is allowed to be developed. certainly one for the future who could blossom under Hughes and co.

At the match, I saw Gally, he was not included due to illness (allegedly). He expects to be fit for the weekend. A thoroughly bloody nice lad.

The sight of Chelsea benches value amazed me, a cool 57 million worth of players sat on their arses watching the game. Behind them, hiding in the warm boxes a further 50million pounds !

As stated Rovers coped well enough and I am glad we didnt get punished too much.

Not mentioning tactics or formations, jsut glad to be concentrating on Europe, the League and the FA Cup

Rovers: Friedel, Emerton, Khizanishvili, Henchoz, Neill, Bentley, McEveley, Mokoena, Pedersen (Peter 49), McCarthy (Jeffers 86), Nonda (Roberts 56).

Subs Not Used: Brown, Todd.

Booked: Bentley, Peter.

Chelsea: Hilario, Geremi, Terry, Boulahrouz, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole (Wright-Phillips 79), Essien, Ballack (Lampard 61), Makelele, Robben (Drogba 83), Kalou.

Subs Not Used: Makaba-Makalamby, Ricardo Carvalho.

Booked: Joe Cole, Boulahrouz.

Goals: Joe Cole 53, Kalou 81.

Att: 14,732

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.