BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Everton 1 Rovers 0

Alan75

Match Report by ozziejones

This was always, in my opinion a game that we could not win. Especially when Dunn predicatably hobbled off, after struggling for a few minutes with a limp during which time Everton scored the only goal of the game.

Rovers, notably in the first half, were bereft of creativity, and other than Gallys smart snap shot early in the second half and a spectacular chest down and first time volley from Borat, sorry Zurab, created nowt. 15 goal man Benni Mac, arguably the most skillfull player on the pitch was left to feed on long hoofs doen the channel and not a single ball was played in between the keeper and back four for him to actually use his skill and timing to benefit. To illustrate, I don't recall him being offside once!

Everton played a little more actual football this week compared to the performance in the Cup last month, but still strike me as reflection on their manager-tough, mean, dour and a bit dull.

Rovers had a half claim for a penalty, but as my photo indicates here was rightly not given.

handball.jpg

The success of the season now rests on two big games this week, but the injury situation means we are likely to face the Germans and either Bolton or Arsenal with a side which in years gone by may have drawn a disrepute charge for fielding a weakened side!

Success for Rovers this season will probably mean a top ten finish, and a round further in either cup now, which is a step forward from the usual "Finish 6th, battle relegation" routine we have had in the last decade or so.

evertonattack.jpg

Mark Hughes post match comment:

"We were slow coming out of the blocks in the first half, maybe as a result of players travelling to international games.

"We gave a much better performance in the second half, but Everton were really solid defensively. They were very difficult to break down.

"We tried to get a foothold in the game early on, but we couldn't do it after the break, even though we asked more questions."

Everton: Howard, Neville, Yobo, Stubbs, Lescott, Van der Meyde (Beattie 55), Carsley, Fernandes, Arteta, Cahill, Johnson.

Subs Not Used: Wright, Naysmith, Vaughan, De Silva.

Booked: Cahill, Fernandes.

Goals: Johnson 10.

Rovers: Friedel, Khizanishvili (Todd 83), Samba, Nelsen, Berner, Emerton, Dunn (Roberts 15), Tugay, Bentley, Gallagher (Jeffers 66), McCarthy.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Henchoz.

Booked: Todd.

Att: 35,593

Ref: R Styles

Archived