BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Defeat Is No Option.

Alan75

Pompey Preview

Editorial..

I'm just starting to calm down after Thursday night. Whilst I would freely admit that I didn't see the game and haven't seen any of the highlights (were there any), I did listen to the commentary on Radio Lancashire. Magic these mobile phones with built in radio, especially when your still at work, it looks as if your on hands free. Although it might have been a bit of a give away if Rovers had scored.

As it was there was no joyous shout and lap of honour around the photo copier; just a depressed attitude as I trailed out passed the receptionist at 5.15. giving the appearance that the day had been an exhaustive experience.

The drive home, listening to the commentary didn't get much better. Whilst radio can paint a picture, the local radio commentators hadn't fully portrayed the vandal graffiti of the afternoon's performance.

Bearing in mind that there may be children reading this, I can't provide a running commentary of the comments expelled Thursday night, by Rovers fans, but to say that they were building site Anglo Saxon would be an understatement. Words that I can repeat are lazy, waste of space, pathetic, useless, lack lustre and not fit to wear the shirt. Fife Rover on www.brfcs.co.uk went so far as saying it was the worst display by a Rovers team that he'd seen since World War 2. Now I'm not old enough to remember that far back and as I didn't see the game I couldn't comment on that, but hopefully it was just a gut reaction to the defeat, as I cant personally believe that this squad could play as bad as the team during Brian Kidd's reign as manager, or during the short period that Jim Illey was manager in the 70's Now that was really bad.

If we are to be optimistic then it's only half time and we are only 2-0 down which should make the second leg in two weeks time an interesting and exciting evening. Admittedly it could be an uphill task if Larissa come with a defensive game plan, but at £5 for season ticket holders, a £1 for kids it should in theory be an exciting if not tense evening.

What will be interesting; will be how the players react to this defeat, when they take to the field on Sunday against Portsmouth. Will Mark Hughes react by making changes, will Benni McCarthy start after his lack lustre performances to date. His exit route has surely gone for the time being now that "the special one" has left the Bridge.

The team selection for Sunday could be interesting, as according to friends and colleagues the only players worth selection after Thursday would be Brad Friedel and Santa Cruz.

Football fans are fickle, for just 24 hours before the game the majority of fans would have picked Thursday's team as our permanent starting 11.

One certain change should be the return of Chris Samba in place of the injured Ryan Nelsen, whose hamstring injury isn't a bad as first thought and could be back in time for the return leg against Larissa. That should also cheer up the Kiwis as he should then be available for their World Cup qualifying games in October.

Defeat on Sunday is not an option, or the phone in to the local radio will be red hot and I will be one of the first to ring up.

Messageboard Match Preview - Click Here

Archived