Jump to content


SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] When our club belonged to us...

Recommended Posts

From an australian newspaper article, 31st may 1890:

"Not many years ago any game except cricket was unknown in that sombre wilderness of chim-neys. Any man who ventured out into the streets on a market day in a pair of flannel knickerbockers or a blazer would have been

hooted and followed by a crowd of sarcastic scoffers. At last an amateur team of young fellows began to play, and the mill-hands would come up to have a look at them, generally coming to scoff, but remaining to admire. Then the mill-hands began to think they would play themselves, and one or two of the best of them were Imported into the team.

Gradually their number was increased, till, now the club is almost entirely working men. A trainer is provided in the person of a retired soldier, who puts the men through dumbbell exercises and Indian clubs, and generally keeps them in order. They have a good time, earn good wages, and are heroes of the populace.

You should pay a visit to Blackburn, when the operatives, still sweating and grubby from their toil, march up to the football ground on a Saturday afternoon, to appreciate the enormous enthusiasm which the game excites.


How things have changed... :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It gives you goosebumps reading it... that's what Blackburn Rovers is, a club built on honesty, hard work and skill, arte et labore.

Also from 1890, seems the dingles never change :lol:

Scene at a Football Match.


A disgraceful scene occurred after the Football League match, Burnley v. Blackburn Rovers, at Burnley, recently. J. Horns, a former goal-keeper for the Accrington Club, who had consented to play with the Rovers in Cup ties, though the requirements of business do not permit him to participate in the game regularly, journeyed to Burnley. Unfortunately, the referee was Mr R. Horne, also an old Accrington player, and brother to the Rovers' custodian.

In consequence of certain decisions, the referee was mobbed at the close, when the Rovers retired victors by two goals to one. Tho official had to be protected by the committee, and so demonstrative were the spectators that the police could not clear the field. Mr R. Horne had to take refuge under the grand stand, and subsequently in a neighbouring house. The police force was increased, and eventually the referee was hurried into a cab and driven away, followed by a howling, stone-throwing mob.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.