BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Noto Intertoto.

Alan75

Various media sources including the Rovers official web site are reporting quotes from Rovers  chief executive John Williams  stating that Rovers will not be applying to enter the Intertoto Cup. Quotes attributed to Mr Williams are as follows.

"While the attractions of the Intertoto Cup are obvious and tempting, we believe that we must not do anything that could jeopardise our performance in the Premiership," he said.

"We do not have the biggest squad in the Premiership and it will be difficult for us to add to the squad number for next season, although we do expect to bring about further improvements through astute trading in the transfer market.

"The matter has been discussed at length with Graeme Souness and all parties are in complete agreement."

These comments follow articles in some of the morning papers, where they allegedly state Souness believes that returning to competitive action weeks before the start of the Premier season could have a disastrous effect on the team.

Souness is quoted in the morning press as said: I won't be getting too excited about playing in the Intertoto but the decision as to whether we play won't be taken by me.

"We haven't spoken about it, but if the board see it is a chance to earn some money, then I can understand."

Souness gives the example of Fulham who this season qualified for the Uefa Cup on the strength of their Intertoto efforts but have since slumped dramatically.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.