BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Australia Day

Cringeworthy

And about as representative of the average Australian as, say, a bowler hatted, handlebar mustachioed, pinstripe suited, supercilious twit might be said to be representative of the average englishman.

But ridiculous stereotypes aside, not a bad effort at a bit of self depreciating fun.

Yeah, its obviously stereotyped. I think that's the intension. But what about the message? Is this a contraversial issue in oz or does nobody give a toss?

Not sure which "issue" you mean, but I've got a bit of time so I'll throw in my thoughts. Reading the football messageboard can get a bit depressing so, ha ha why not, lets talk antipodean polictics instead!

The issues raised in the skit do get around in real life from time to time.

The "why do you celebrate the British colonisation of your country, and not your Independence?" question is interesting. Quite frankly, I think that there is still a lot of fondness for our old institutions. A referendum on becoming a republic about 10 years ago failed. Basically, the system we have works. Why fix it if it aint broken ? Sure, no-one outside of gossip mags actually gives a rats about the British Royal Family, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual, but thats not the point. As a system of government, the constitutional monarchy, with a Prime Minister who technically sits under a Governor General (figurehead head of state who supposedly represents the Queen - but is usually picked as a well respected Australian academic) is one of the most stable and enduring in the world.

There is also something 'proud' about our convict history. We're not ashamed of it anymore. It's a bit of a badge of honour. From being the dumping ground for the worst of the worst, to quite a good little country - in only 200 years. It's a bit like the triumph of the underdog. So the concept that we celebrate the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788 as opposed to our independence in 1900 to me is actually not hugely surprising. You'd have to live here to understand I think. No-one really cares that much. It's really just a day off work and a chance to take the family to the beach.

Then again, I may not be the right person to ask. I was born in the UK (Blackburn actually !), and have only been here for 35 years.

The Aboriginal "issue" that the skit makes light of, in real life is always 'delicate'. There is no doubt that the first settlers back in the day treated the natives horribly and that can never be condoned. The indiginous people here were treated as subhuman. But then again, was it any different to how the colonisers of America wiped out the Indians. The problem that we have now is that, while many of us do feel very uncomfortable about the way our forebears treated the indegenous people, realistically, what can we do about it ?

How long can you continue to blame todays "white people" for what our ancestors believed and did? (and lets be fair, you'd be hard pushed to find any european power in the 19th century that treated its colonised natives as equals and treated them well - remember there were no Australians until 1900 - we were all "English") The time is long gone. Yes, it was regretful - but I for one have no control over what people that were here 100 years ago (or even 40 years ago) did or believed.

Interestingly, in a popular gesture a couple of years ago, the government actually issued an official "sorry" for the past. But there is still a lot of anger amongst aboriginal activists.

Is there a solution ? - Well, it is not like South Africa where the majority of the population comprises of what were once the oppressed people, and so they can now enjoy control of the nation that should always have been theirs. In Aus today, the Aboriginal people that are left comprise a tiny fraction of the population. They haven't the numbers to control anything. There are more Asian peoples living here today than Aboriginals.

Throwing money at them doesn't help. Saying "sorry for the past" doesn't help. Providing services and education doesn't help because in many cases, they are so bitter and angry that they reject them.

If anyone has the answer, write to Parliament House, Canberra.

In many ways, we're just a normal country with normal, sh1tty problems just like everyone else. The average person does not look like the people in Home and Away, there are beggars on the street corners in Sydney, and the banks are robbing ordinary people blind and foreclosing on mortgages all over the shop. We have gang violence, drive-by shootings and more ethnic tension between muslim people and non-muslim people than you would ever get with aboriginal people. But you won't see any of that reported on the other side of the world, because its not any different to whats happening in Europe. It's not news.

Come visit one day and we'll share a beer.

In the meantime... Kean and Venky's out !

Just to tidy up a few points.

Australia was Federated on 1/1/1901

Official ties weren't cut until the mid 1970's. Up to sometime in the 50/60's (iirc) everyone in Australia could get a British Citizens passport (one that stated you were a British Citizen without being born in the UK or to UK parents and might not have given you right of residency).

The referendum failed, yes, but not because people didn't want it. The weasel Howard had the question worded in such a way that it would have been impossible to pass.

In any case, it needs a majority of people in a majority of states for referendum to be passed (you need to get a majority of states to agree, then you need to have an overall majority of people ,in all states, eligible to vote to agree). That's why few referenda have actually passed. Funnily enough, the one in 1967, recognising Aborigines as citizens was.

Now to the final point. Australia day is a celebration of the day I landed in Australia. That's why we all have a day off.

I like to think that I was imported to improve the breeding stock. It only cost me 10 pounds......just celebrated 43 years.

Just to tidy up a few points.

Australia was Federated on 1/1/1901

Official ties weren't cut until the mid 1970's. Up to sometime in the 50/60's (iirc) everyone in Australia could get a British Citizens passport (one that stated you were a British Citizen without being born in the UK or to UK parents and might not have given you right of residency).

The referendum failed, yes, but not because people didn't want it. The weasel Howard had the question worded in such a way that it would have been impossible to pass.

In any case, it needs a majority of people in a majority of states for referendum to be passed (you need to get a majority of states to agree, then you need to have an overall majority of people ,in all states, eligible to vote to agree). That's why few referenda have actually passed. Funnily enough, the one in 1967, recognising Aborigines as citizens was.

Now to the final point. Australia day is a celebration of the day I landed in Australia. That's why we all have a day off.

I like to think that I was imported to improve the breeding stock. It only cost me 10 pounds......just celebrated 43 years.

Wow, an original 10 pound pom ! Hats off to you Dave !

Wow, an original 10 pound pom ! Hats off to you Dave !

My uncle is a 10 pound pom too, been over there since the 60's too. He's got a funny lancashire / aussie accent now, and although he claims to support the aussies at cricket I'm not too sure he's really that convinced.

For years my nick name was "PB"!

These days when the aussie borns have a dig, I usually respond, "I made a clear and conscious decision to come here. You are the product of some casual sex between your mother and father." If they are trying to be particular offensive, I'll add, "And do you know them".

Archived