BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Hello from Australia

Nate

I've been following Rovers, from afar, since 1988. The start of my infatuation with Rovers is nothing inspiring, or even interesting. I was ten years old at the time and had just played a game for my school team, St. Bernadine's against Blackstone Utd; a game we ultimately lost to fierce rivals. As we pulled up home in my mother’s old Datsun 120Y, I opened the glove box. Inside the glove box were some fixtures for games that had already been played. They were left there by my late grandfather who liked a bit of a bet on the football pools. The one fixture that stood out was a game involving Blackburn. My grandfather had circled them for a win. So just on a whim, I started following them.

To do that in Australia at the time was nigh on impossible. The only way I could was in Monday's newspaper with all the results and tables from the UK, also another newspaper publication called British Soccer Weekly or something. So with the advent of the EPL, Internet and Pay-TV in Australia a few years later, following Rovers was made a lot easier.

I have only made the trip to Ewood once, in 2000 when we played Wolves at home with Kidd in charge. I think it ended 1-1 with a Dunn penalty being saved after Kevin Muscat saw red for a deliberate handball in the box.

Even though Rovers are my major love, I support teams from each of the leagues around Europe. I just love football that much. I have a soft spot for Millwall, as the first ever game of football I had ever seen involved Millwall, also I lived near the area for a bit. But that's another story.

I've been on this board for a while, without being a major contributor. Maybe I should contribute more, but with what's going on at the club at the moment...well, you know.

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

Just giving this a bump as I've been absent for a while, but looking to reconnect again. Good to see so many of the old guard still here. 

A little bit of an update, I've had two boys, who are now 4 and 3. I finally did get to see Rovers again in the flesh when we were away at Rotherham in League One in 2018. The father-in-law is an ex-footballer and coached at Rotherham, so we got corporate tickets. Was a pretty good day despite the draw. 

• Like 1

On 29/02/2012 at 03:23, Nate said:

I've been following Rovers, from afar, since 1988. The start of my infatuation with Rovers is nothing inspiring, or even interesting. I was ten years old at the time and had just played a game for my school team, St. Bernadine's against Blackstone Utd; a game we ultimately lost to fierce rivals. As we pulled up home in my mother’s old Datsun 120Y, I opened the glove box. Inside the glove box were some fixtures for games that had already been played. They were left there by my late grandfather who liked a bit of a bet on the football pools. The one fixture that stood out was a game involving Blackburn. My grandfather had circled them for a win. So just on a whim, I started following them.

To do that in Australia at the time was nigh on impossible. The only way I could was in Monday's newspaper with all the results and tables from the UK, also another newspaper publication called British Soccer Weekly or something. So with the advent of the EPL, Internet and Pay-TV in Australia a few years later, following Rovers was made a lot easier.

I have only made the trip to Ewood once, in 2000 when we played Wolves at home with Kidd in charge. I think it ended 1-1 with a Dunn penalty being saved after Kevin Muscat saw red for a deliberate handball in the box.

Even though Rovers are my major love, I support teams from each of the leagues around Europe. I just love football that much. I have a soft spot for Millwall, as the first ever game of football I had ever seen involved Millwall, also I lived near the area for a bit. But that's another story.

I've been on this board for a while, without being a major contributor. Maybe I should contribute more, but with what's going on at the club at the moment...well, you know.

There's some talented youngsters at Ewood at the moment. The last game of the season against Birmingham City saw two goals of the season for rovers Buckley from nearly 40 yards out then Diaz a beauty curled in the top corner. With a new manager in place and 1 or 2 of his own signings i will be disappointed if we dont make the play offs at least. Hope you can make it over for a game, probably a bit costly from Aussie to Ewood.

8 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

There's some talented youngsters at Ewood at the moment. The last game of the season against Birmingham City saw two goals of the season for rovers Buckley from nearly 40 yards out then Diaz a beauty curled in the top corner. With a new manager in place and 1 or 2 of his own signings i will be disappointed if we dont make the play offs at least. Hope you can make it over for a game, probably a bit costly from Aussie to Ewood.

Wife is from Sheffield. So we try to visit every year or so. That was pre-Covid and children though 😁

• 1 year later...