BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Interviews

"Competency based" interviews are the absolute pits for interviewers who do not know how to interview. Guaranteed to see me disappear whilst trying not let the door hit me on the way out.

Or interviewers who have no knowledge of the subject that they are asking the interviewee about - I recall an interview that I twigged the interviewer didnt have a clue and was reading from a script. I descided that I wasnt that interested in the job so gave over the top technical answers until I felt sorry for the interviewer - did I get the job, yes

Competency based interviews are awful. A complete waste of time. Your likely to get some good at making up examples of putting themselves in a good light, rather than someone capable of doing a good job.

Don't currently interview in my current role, but have done in the past. We used to use a 2 part interview, a worked technical test (some straight forward, others more technical and would only be known by people who knew their stuff) followed by a sit down chat with few scripted questions. The first told us if they could do the job, or where they where strong / weak, the second how they would fit into the team. Don't believe i ever regretted anyone i took on.

Two of us were interviewing a candidate once and we got to the point where we asked if they had any criminal convictions. Yes came the reply and as a criminal conviction would not necessarily rule them out I asked what it was for." I'd rather not say" came the reply," it was from my youth and I feel embarrassed." To move the interview forward my colleague said "would you prefer to write it down" So he did and my colleague showed me the answer. I took a quick glance and carried on the interview blissfully unaware that I had misread the note and that he had not in fact had a conviction for burglary.

Archived