BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox 360 Core

Guest Kamy100

Guest Kamy100

Looks like there is a price drop for the core version of the 360, play.com are now doing it for £149.99:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/HP/3-/71...le/Product.html

I think that this is paving the way for Microsoft to announce that on 1st May the a second version of the 360 will be coming out, it will be black, have a 120GB Hard Drive and HDMI port and cost £379.99. If this happens it is pretty disgusting for the people who have the original 360 having to upgrade 18 months later.

Will there be any difference between them other than colour, hdmi port and the hard drive size? Although I would like to have an hdmi port I have found my way around that with cables and the larger hard drive will surely be available to the existing 360 as well? It's a little annoying but I wouldn't really care if that is all they have done to it.

Looks like there is a price drop for the core version of the 360, play.com are now doing it for £149.99:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/HP/3-/71...le/Product.html

I think that this is paving the way for Microsoft to announce that on 1st May the a second version of the 360 will be coming out, it will be black, have a 120GB Hard Drive and HDMI port and cost £379.99. If this happens it is pretty disgusting for the people who have the original 360 having to upgrade 18 months later.

I'll be upgrading to the PS3 in that case.

Wouldnt be surprised if MS do this, which is kind of the reason why the console market needs strong competition.

Guest Kamy100
Will there be any difference between them other than colour, hdmi port and the hard drive size? Although I would like to have an hdmi port I have found my way around that with cables and the larger hard drive will surely be available to the existing 360 as well? It's a little annoying but I wouldn't really care if that is all they have done to it.

Nope will just be different colour and have HDMI port and 120gb hard drive. I am sure that they will make the 120GB hard drive available to existing owners at some stage but is likely to cost £120. People will be peeved because most people will eventually upgrade because of them wanting the extra benefits but as Ste said it could backfire as people may just opt to go to the PS3 which may be £50 more expensive then the new version of the 360 but you get all of what the new 360 version will have plus a blue ray player and wireless. I'm not fussed as i've sold my 360 in preperation for the arrival of the PS3.

Well the HDMI currently doesn't fuss me as nothing requires HDMI yet. There is no downscaling on any High-Def film as yet. If that ever happens then I might look again.

The 120gb hard drive would be nice but only really essential in the States at the moment for the Video on Demand content. When (if) that ever comes to the UK then the 120gb would be good to have. I agree that I can see MS marking this up at £100 however there has been a breakthrough recently in a group has managed to get one brand of generic 2.5 inch HDD's working in the xbox360. At the moment they only format to 20gb (as that is the dashboard's limit) however that must be increased when the new HD comes out. This means you can probably pick up a 120gb HDD for normal retail price and get it working in the 360.

Why post rubbish?

Why do you say what I post is rubbish? I made the comment as I own the 360 premium system and found that the 20 gb HDD was really only 12 gb free and the rest taken up by their own content.

Is this a big deal?? Well no it isn't but it was just a snide comment made to the fact that I feel that Microsoft at times doesn't deliver what they say.

Next time if you want I can PM you my post to see if it meets to your high standards.

Why do you say what I post is rubbish? I made the comment as I own the 360 premium system and found that the 20 gb HDD was really only 12 gb free and the rest taken up by their own content.

Is this a big deal?? Well no it isn't but it was just a snide comment made to the fact that I feel that Microsoft at times doesn't deliver what they say.

Next time if you want I can PM you my post to see if it meets to your high standards.

Because it was rubbish. The 20gb drive is indeed 20gb. When you take into account that formatting would lose about 2gb off the actual size (usual manufacturers ommission) then there is indeed content on the drive which MS put on there so there is somthing to watch / do. You can actually delete that content though which free's up your space again.

So, your ascertion that there would be only 80gb out of 120gb is complete consense.

Because it was rubbish. The 20gb drive is indeed 20gb. When you take into account that formatting would lose about 2gb off the actual size (usual manufacturers ommission) then there is indeed content on the drive which MS put on there so there is somthing to watch / do. You can actually delete that content though which free's up your space again.

So, your ascertion that there would be only 80gb out of 120gb is complete consense.

This is going to be my last post on the subject as I don't want to sabotage the thread with a Vinjay style "Microsoft Out".

You are correct the 20 gb hard is in fact 20 gb, however even you have to admit this is misleading as only 13 gb are free to use. The other 7 gb are used up by preloaded content such as advertising, movie/game trailers and music videos. That's fine as you can delete that content if you wish. However the 7 gb are also reserved for title updates and patches, backwards compatible emulator to play original Xbox games and a music database to upload songs from your CD's which unlike a pointless movie trailer might be important for a person to keep and therefore not wish to delete.

My point is that it seems to be the Microsoft way to market a 20gb HDD, but have it loaded with content that only gives the consumer less than what is advertised. Why not make a 27 gb HDD and give the consumer 20 gb of free space?? I make no "assertion", but simply a sarcastic remark about Microsoft and their practices.

. Why not make a 27 gb HDD and give the consumer 20 gb of free space?? I make no "assertion", but simply a sarcastic remark about Microsoft and their practices.

You should ask IBM, Maxtor, Seagate about that one really, its been going on for years.

Yep, completely agree with all you say there. I think the biggest argument though should be, why did Microsoft only release a 20gb hdd in the first place. Very short sighted and very annoying.

To keep the initial price down and to sell upgrades. In 12 months from now the 60GB the ps3 has will need expansion.

If only I can use my spare seagate 40gb or maxtor 120 gb in either. Kudos to somebody who makes a moounting kit to allow a 3.5" drive (or even a USB one)

Archived